The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just did the June 2010 paper, and I'm a bit disappointed with my mark (62/80). Even though it was an A, I made stupid mistakes getting 0 marks in 3 parts.
Reply 221
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Just did the June 2010 paper, and I'm a bit disappointed with my mark (62/80). Even though it was an A, I made stupid mistakes getting 0 marks in 3 parts.

That was my worst paper I think I got 60 in it. I just found some of the questions odd!
Original post by Kingboss
That was my worst paper I think I got 60 in it. I just found some of the questions odd!

It really was a bad paper, and a lot of the questions were, nonsense to say the least. And the way they worded it aswell was bad.
sorry to bother you again :/ (really do hate enzymes)
can someone explain this question to me.
explain how the 3D structure of proteins enable enzymes to perform their functions as biological catalysts?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rubyturner94
sorry to bother you again :/ (really do hate enzymes)
can someone explain this question to me.
explain how the 3D structure of proteins enable enzymes to perform their functions as biological catalysts?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Enzymes are globular proteins.

They have an active site

The active site is specific for a certain type of substrate.
The substrate binds in the active site

The shape of the enzyme changes slightly (induced fit)

An enzyme-substrate complex is created.

A reaction occurs..

The porduct(s) leaves the active site

*Less energy is needed for the reaction- activation energy decreases
*Enzymes speed up the rate of reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 226
can someone help me on question 2ci in june 2011. I thought that Elina is recessive has the disease so wouldn't her alleles be gg as she has galactosaemia. This appears to be wrong can some explain this
Original post by Rubyturner94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going good :smile:
can someone help me on question 2ci in june 2011. I thought that Elina is recessive has the disease so wouldn't her alleles be gg as she has galactosaemia. This appears to be wrong can some explain this

Not wrong.

Galactosaemia is recessive. So if Sahan is a carrier:

Then Sahans genotype is : Gg
and Elinas: gg

Do a genetic diagram from that and work out percentage that the child is heterozygous. pretty staight forward if you ask me.
Reply 229
Original post by CoolRunner
Not wrong.

Galactosaemia is recessive. So if Sahan is a carrier:

Then Sahans genotype is : Gg
and Elinas: gg

Do a genetic diagram from that and work out percentage that the child is heterozygous. pretty staight forward if you ask me.

It was straight forward and that's what I did, but the examiners' report showed Elina as GG and the candidate still got three marks.. and that made me wonder
It was straight forward and that's what I did, but the examiners' report showed Elina as GG and the candidate still got three marks.. and that made me wonder

LOL! the examiner did not mark properly.:rolleyes:

Just looked at the exam report. that q was a 4 marker, the candidate got 3 marks for everything else but just the GG wrong. some how its a coincidence as you get the same answer even if you do that mistake.
Reply 232
Original post by CoolRunner
Just looked at the exam report. that q was a 4 marker, the candidate got 3 marks for everything else but just the GG wrong. some how its a coincidence as you get the same answer even if you do that mistake.

Lol yeah it is that candidate was lucky though that might have not been the case in another question. I also wonder how the student thought it was GG when she was clearly in bold
Lol yeah it is that candidate was lucky though that might have not been the case in another question. I also wonder how the student thought it was GG when she was clearly in bold

Same here :s
So I just did the June 2009 paper which was shockingly hard, although I got 58. The grade boundaries for it were so low as well, you needed 49/80 for an A. I hope our paper has grade bondries like this, but I hope the content is easier.
Reply 235
So I just did the June 2009 paper which was shockingly hard, although I got 58. The grade boundaries for it were so low as well, you needed 49/80 for an A. I hope our paper has grade bondries like this, but I hope the content is easier.

lol that wouldn't happen easy content means high grade boundary. But we can all hope:biggrin:
lol that wouldn't happen easy content means high grade boundary. But we can all hope:biggrin:

Yeahh, only hope :smile:
But don't you think 49 is mad for an A. I was shocked doing that exam because I was so pushed for time.

I found it shockingly hard too. :frown:
Reply 238
Yeahh, only hope :smile:
But don't you think 49 is mad for an A. I was shocked doing that exam because I was so pushed for time.

It was shocking but also made me wonder how bad people actually did for the grade boundary to be that low. I found that paper difficult!
It was shocking but also made me wonder how bad people actually did for the grade boundary to be that low. I found that paper difficult!

I'm guessing this year the grade boundaries will possibly be quite low? since we are the last cohort doing this in january?c

Latest