The Student Room Group

A level chemistry help

Hi guys, what does it when you say that orbitals e.g. a 2p orbital has a higher energy than a 2s orbital?

Reply 1
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hi guys, what does it when you say that orbitals e.g. a 2p orbital has a higher energy than a 2s orbital?

It means just that, the electrons which are in the 2p orbital have more energy than those in 2s. Hence why they'll be removed first in ionisation and such.
Original post by Spoogle
It means just that, the electrons which are in the 2p orbital have more energy than those in 2s. Hence why they'll be removed first in ionisation and such.

Hi, thanks for replying, so what causes to have more energy (and what do you mean by that) and would they get removed first as they are the furthest away from the nucleus?
Anyone
Reply 4
Hi, thanks for replying, so what causes to have more energy (and what do you mean by that) and would they get removed first as they are the furthest away from the nucleus?

Simplistically the shielding from the inner electrons. They'd get removed first because they have the highest energy, think of them as buzzing about angrily and the nucleus struggling to keep ahold of them, a small knock from some outside force and off they go.
Original post by Spoogle
Simplistically the shielding from the inner electrons. They'd get removed first because they have the highest energy, think of them as buzzing about angrily and the nucleus struggling to keep ahold of them, a small knock from some outside force and off they go.

Thanks,

Hi, I asked my teacher today and she said since the outer e- are further away, the nucleus has a weaker hold on them and so the became unstable and so have a higher energy. Is that what you are trying to say?

And 1 more question, which is stronger, pi or sigma bonds and why?
Reply 6
Thanks,

Hi, I asked my teacher today and she said since the outer e- are further away, the nucleus has a weaker hold on them and so the became unstable and so have a higher energy. Is that what you are trying to say?

And 1 more question, which is stronger, pi or sigma bonds and why?

Yeah you can just describe it that way.

Sigma bonds, they're formed by an axial overlap rather than a vertical, easy way to visualize this have each of your hands grab the other wrist and try to pull apart, you'll find it hard to do so. Now put your forearms together with both palms facing out and just link your thumbs, now pull apart.
Original post by Spoogle
Yeah you can just describe it that way.

Sigma bonds, they're formed by an axial overlap rather than a vertical, easy way to visualize this have each of your hands grab the other wrist and try to pull apart, you'll find it hard to do so. Now put your forearms together with both palms facing out and just link your thumbs, now pull apart.

HAHA, thanks for the tip. Could you say that a sigma bond is a head on overlap and a pi bond is a P orbital overlap with 2 intersection and the top and bottom.
(Note) why is the sigma bond stronger?

Quick Reply

Latest