The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you get a break for 5 hour shift? , Seen a job on inside move 3x5 hour shift , never usually see 5 hours shift for contract. Would look in my handbook but its lost :frown:
Thanks
Original post by orange'94
Do you get a break for 5 hour shift? , Seen a job on inside move 3x5 hour shift , never usually see 5 hours shift for contract. Would look in my handbook but its lost :frown:
Thanks

If you are over 18 by law they don't have to give you a break, but Sainsburys will give you a 15 minute break. (20 mins if under 18)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by elzginger
If you are over 18 by law they don't have to give you a break, but Sainsburys will give you a 15 minute break. (20 mins if under 18)

Im over 18 , and that's quite good. No wonder you never see 5 hour shifts. Think I might just have to apply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did anyone else have a SUPER CRAZY BUSY day today? . It was worst then Christmas in our store? ques where 10+ deep. I was on self scan and the que was over 20mins and at one point ended up hitting the fresh dept after passing through whole of produce. :frown:.
You can imagine how delightfully happy customers are at this point and its my fault :biggrin:.

We had all till trained on and still crazy. I think people have run out of Christmas food by now . No one could of predicted the amount of people that turned up, even if we had every till open (80% where open) it still would of been bad.

Anyone else have a crazy day? or just our store, if it was just us we going to trash the lot of you in takings hahaha.

January is suppose to be the (quiet) period of the year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4803
Im over 18 , and that's quite good. No wonder you never see 5 hour shifts. Think I might just have to apply.

Did anyone else have a SUPER CRAZY BUSY day today? . It was worst then Christmas in our store? ques where 10+ deep. I was on self scan and the que was over 20mins and at one point ended up hitting the fresh dept after passing through whole of produce. :frown:.
You can imagine how delightfully happy customers are at this point and its my fault :biggrin:.

We had all till trained on and still crazy. I think people have run out of Christmas food by now . No one could of predicted the amount of people that turned up, even if we had every till open (80% where open) it still would of been bad.

Anyone else have a crazy day? or just our store, if it was just us we going to trash the lot of you in takings hahaha.

Luckily it was my day off today, but I expect it's because people have ran out of food, just come of holiday or realised they need food for lunch boxes as the schools go back this week.
After applying for and being granted a career break, I am now thinking a period of unpaid leave would be a better choice to take me up to the end of the holiday year and then take some paid holiday entitlement (3-4 weeks from next year's entitlement) to take me further into mid-April.

Can I expect this to happen after already being granted a career break? Is this allowed to change?

It means I would be being paid for 4 of my 10 weeks travelling abroad, which is surely much better than 0 weeks of 10.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4805

Yes! I'm in the cafe but it was the busiest day ever and there was only 5 of us! Was such a stressful day :P, and the grumpy complaining customers didn't help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah we were busier than normal but fairly steady. All the Xmas temps left on Saturday so we're just back to the normal amount of checkout colleagues.

Well it's better to be busier than dead eh?

I was a Christmas temp and my contract finished yesterday. Do I need to go back to the store and hand back my uniform etc. Also I was asked to stay on but couldn't due to other commitments, is it worth asking them if they will keep me in mind for jobs in February when my commitments are over. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4808
Interview went horribly. I think I've definitely failed on the maths section and on the attention to detail. Oh well.
Reply 4809
Original post by JoannaMilano
I have mine tomorrow, hope it's not a fiasco :s

Have mine for a transfer Thursday :smile: hoping I don't have to do the maths and attention to detail questions again !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matt4504
Yeah we were busier than normal but fairly steady. All the Xmas temps left on Saturday so we're just back to the normal amount of checkout colleagues.

Well it's better to be busier than dead eh?

there's busy and there's fearing for you life ha
Who's best to give when future employers ask for a reference from Sainsburys? Is there a specific number people give or what?
when do we get paid next?
Reply 4813
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
when do we get paid next?

25th January :smile:

I applied today, seemed like a good interview.

I didn't need to go through any maths or anything, just three questions.

Now to wait and see :wink:

Good luck all!
Reply 4815
Hello can someone help me out with the induction.
I am wondering if I can do the induction day during a weekend due to the reason that I have College during the weekdays.
I also applied for the night shift job, what does that include in the induction? I won't need to be till trained for that right?
Would Sainsburys allow me to choose a different day to do my induction rather than doing it on the weekdays?
Reply 4816
How long did it take for people on other departments to get to grips with the checkouts?

Did my till training a few weeks ago and I've only been on there a few times since and only for about 15 minutes or so. I feel fine with the basics but just a bit slow and like I'm spending hours searching the fruit and veg screens!

I'd like some overtime on checkouts (actual contract isn't quite enough hours and everybody keeps telling me checkouts always have overtime) but I think I'd be more of a burden than anything at the moment.
Original post by Ultimate
Hello can someone help me out with the induction.
I am wondering if I can do the induction day during a weekend due to the reason that I have College during the weekdays.
I also applied for the night shift job, what does that include in the induction? I won't need to be till trained for that right?
Would Sainsburys allow me to choose a different day to do my induction rather than doing it on the weekdays?

I dont think they let people change their induction dates, I think you're just expected to turn up, I missed three days of college for mine but I easily caught up with my work afterwards so that was fine, nightshift people will do the same induction as the day staff but no they are not till trained as they will never be needed in the middle of the night xD i believe night shift people only do two days of induction where as people who need to be till trained do three days.
Reply 4818
Original post by annarchy.
I dont think they let people change their induction dates, I think you're just expected to turn up, I missed three days of college for mine but I easily caught up with my work afterwards so that was fine, nightshift people will do the same induction as the day staff but no they are not till trained as they will never be needed in the middle of the night xD i believe night shift people only do two days of induction where as people who need to be till trained do three days.

Oh I see. Thanks :biggrin:
Btw what did you tell your college during your inductions day, did you tell them you had an induction day for work, or did you just call in sick?
Original post by Ultimate
Oh I see. Thanks :biggrin:
Btw what did you tell your college during your inductions day, did you tell them you had an induction day for work, or did you just call in sick?

I told my teachers what I was doing so they could give me an appropriate mark on the register even though 1 forgot I think :L someone who was on the induction also told reception the truth and they weren't too happy with that so I think your best bet is to ring in sick. :P

Latest