The Student Room Group

OHP Competition (Now open to All!)

Ok guys, this is the overhead pressing competition we've sort of organised together. I think I have all the competitors down, if I've missed anyone just post and I'll add you. Anyone else is welcome to join but the competition side of the thread is really only for those with a press of around 40-45kg 5RM. I've also now created a separate section for those with stronger presses just so they can use it as a way to focus on their OHP over the next few weeks as it's a very neglected lift in general.

At each 'weight marker' when you can get 1 set of 5 reps post up a video (because we don't accept e-stats :wink:) and then I'll cross through that weight. If anyone else has any contributions for rules or guidelines just post below.

Competitors:

areebmazhar
Height: 6ft 0.5in
Weight: 82kg
Initial 5RM:37.5kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

silentninja
Height:5ft 9.5in
Weight:73kg
Initial 5RM:42.5kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

InOneEar
Height:6ft 0.5in
Weight:75kg
Initial 5RM:37.5kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

RobJ93
Height:5ft 9in
Weight:82kg
Initial 5RM:40kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

tooosh
Height:5ft 6in
Weight:62kg
Initial 5RM:40kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

laeti
Height:5ft 5in
Weight:70kg
Initial 5RM:30kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

HFerguson
Height:6ft 0.5in
Weight:82kg
Initial 5RM:45kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

Shawshank
Height:5ft 10 in
Weight:64kg
Initial 5RM:35kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

BKS
Height:5ft 4in
Weight:72kg
Initial 5RM:45kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

RollerBall
Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: 66kg
Initial 5RM:38.5kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

Appeal to Reason
Height: 5ft 6in
Weight: 73kg
Initial 5RM: 45kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

mirin?
Height: 5ft 9in
Weight: 73kg
Initial 5RM: 47.5kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

King Amukee
Height: 5ft 7in
Weight: 62kg
Initial 5RM: 42.5kg
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg

Just for Fun:

Old School
Height: 5ft 7in
Weight: 82kg
Initial 5RM: 75kg
80kg 85kg 90kg 95kg

Motorbiker
Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: 75kg
Initial 5RM: 55kg
60kg 65kg 70kg 75kg

josht36
Height: 5ft 11in
Weight: 86kg
Initial 5RM: 65kg
70kg 75kg 80kg 85kg
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Also, if anyone else has ideas about how I could present the above table thing a bit better as I'm a bit OCD about tidiness and that table looks really **** :frown:
wooo! We got our own thread. Damn, I can't drop out now fully committed now that it's in black and white :ninja: lol

We can add bodyweight, starting reps/weight etc maybe? Or am I being silly? I just wanna weight up the competition :ninja:

Edit: stats
5'9.5
74kg
5RM 42.5kg (this week)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I can easily get 40 for 5, so I'm in (best recent max 50 for 3 reps)

Specific rules on form? i.e. must be below chin to lockout? Do each 5 reps have to be reset from the bottom (i.e. below chin/at clavicle) or can we pause at lockout and bounce in the hole? obviously no leg drive allowed, locked knees.

Personally my form is usually quite tidy, but gets messier towards heavier sets - more lean back, more bend in lumbar spine. Personally I'd be happy for rules to be pretty loose and allow any amount of lay-back, so long as bar goes below chin and is locked out, and knees remain locked throughout.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HFerguson

Specific rules on form? i.e. must be below chin to lockout? Do each 5 reps have to be reset from the bottom (i.e. below chin/at clavicle) or can we pause at lockout and bounce? obviously no leg drive allowed, locked knees

That's a good press. You're well in the lead I think. I don't think I can get any at 50kg. 2 reps more shouldn't take you too long.

Edit: Thing about rules I like. Yes we need those clarifying.

Specific rules on form? i.e. must be below chin to lockout? Do each 5 reps have to be reset from the bottom (i.e. below chin/at clavicle) or can we pause at lockout and bounce in the hole? obviously no leg drive allowed, locked knees

Nice, I'll edit the OP with your entry and get some rules in there as well!
Original post by silent ninja
wooo! We got our own thread. Damn, I can't drop out now fully committed now that it's in black and white :ninja: lol

We can add bodyweight, starting reps/weight etc maybe? Or am I being silly? I just wanna weight up the competition :ninja:

Yeah no problem I'll do that later on today (Ticagrelor presentation awaits me first :frown: ). Would be so much easier if we could get an actual table up in the OP...
Reply 7
so thoughts on rules? please let me know if you agree or disagree:

- knees must remain locked, no leg drive
- bar must come below the chin per rep
- bar must end with elbows locked out
- bouncing in the hole allowed
- as much layback as you want
so thoughts on rules? please let me know if you agree or disagree:

- knees must remain locked, no leg drive
- bar must come below the chin per rep
- bar must end with elbows locked out
- bouncing in the hole allowed
- as much layback as you want

Instead of below the chin I was thinking the bar should touch the clavicle as it's more standard (i.e people could just raise their chin)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by areebmazhar
Instead of below the chin I was thinking the bar should touch the clavicle as it's more standard (i.e people could just raise their chin)

the bar has never touched my clavicle when I press unless I'm doing jerks or push-press... I always have the weight on my wrists, i.e. about an inch away from my body, when I'm pressing, but it's the only time i'll have the weight on my wrists in that position.

people raising their chin, u wot m8?
Not everyone can/should press from the clavicle due to rotator cuff issues but I don't think anyone here has them.
the bar has never touched my clavicle when I press unless I'm doing jerks or push-press... I always have the weight on my wrists, i.e. about an inch away from my body, when I'm pressing, but it's the only time i'll have the weight on my wrists in that position.

people raising their chin, u wot m8?

Lol I meant tilting their head back to elevate their chin a little!
OK after trying for the last 5 minutes in a mirror, I've realised that tilting the head back doesn't make much difference to the chin level. I'll put those rules in now then..
Also further to ninja's post, we'll add some stats to the OP for each competitor just to get some perspective and weigh-up the competition.

So we have BW, present 5 rep max, anything else?
Height?

Don't know if others want stats but it puts the lifts in to perspective too.

55kg probably isn't necessary. 50kg 60kg then 65kg is enough I think. The last 5kg jump is bigger than it seems I *think*.

I thought only the first to a marker posts a video? I guess others can post as well for form checks, or just for fun but it's only necessary for the winner?
(edited 11 years ago)
Well we can put our BW but you have to include height as well since taller people will be expected to have more BW at the same level of strength! Not to mention strength does not increase linearly with BW.

Height 6' 0.5
weight 75kg
5 rep max 37.5kg

I've always been lowering to my clavicle up until this point- thought it was standard!

Good luck everyone!
Original post by areebmazhar
Yeah no problem I'll do that later on today (Ticagrelor presentation awaits me first :frown: ). Would be so much easier if we could get an actual table up in the OP...

It would look a lot more presentable if you had all the weights in red and changed their font colour to green as they where achieved. Easy to track progress visually that way as well.
in
Original post by silent ninja
Height?

Don't know if others want stats but it puts the lifts in to perspective too.

55kg probably isn't necessary. 50kg 60kg then 65kg is enough I think. The last 5kg jump is bigger than it seems I *think*.

I thought only the first to a marker posts a video? I guess others can post as well for form checks, or just for fun but it's only necessary for the winner?

Fair point, I'm such an idiot about the video thing. I'll keep 55kg there for now just as I think there'll be a big gap between 50kg and 60kg and it'll keep us from getting bored :smile:
Original post by In One Ear
It would look a lot more presentable if you had all the weights in red and changed their font colour to green as they where achieved. Easy to track progress visually that way as well.

Cheers-I'll change the OP :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest