The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoNottingH
I know, me too. Sigh.

If if if (furious touching wood) I actually get accepted, I will immediately switch to being petrified about going to college with such frighteningly intelligent people, I always had this feeling of being recognised as an achiever at school, what on earth happens when you land up with thousands of people who are way better at achieving than you??

You'll probably end up surrounded by clever people wherever you go, so it's best to start accepting the fact it's impossible to be the best all the time from now. My boyfriend at Warwick found it pretty tough, my college sister here found it really hard: it's going to happen and you can either deal with it now and not be TOO crushed when your essays are torn apart and and your tute partner's are "excellent", or have actual problems coping when term starts. We've all been through it :sadnod:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by cesca42
If you remember that at all, I was the really awkward, shy person who didn't speak to anyone at first. In fact, I might have only started talking to people after you left. I need coaxing out of my shell a bit XD

Hahaha, don't worry, I was the same towards the end on the 7th when I was fairly sure I wasn't going to get another interview and just wanted to go home.

Haha I'm ashamed to admit that our little English group were not very outwards-looking towards the end so didn't really talk to anyone in the JCR, only a couple of History applicants at breakfast, so unless you were one of those, I don't think I remember you and you probably won't remember me :L Yeah I definitely needed "coaxing out of my shell" too! In fact, it was quite nice having the second day just waiting with no interviews because that was when I really got to speak to people :smile:
I'm just imagining the letter sitting all ready and waiting to be posted tomorrow :frown:
Original post by such_a_lady
You'll probably end up surrounded by clever people wherever you go, so it's best to start accepting the fact it's impossible to be the best all the time from now. My boyfriend at Warwick found it pretty tough, my college sister here found it really hard: it's going to happen and you can either deal with it now and not be TOO crushed when your essays are torn apart and and your tute partner's are "excellent", or have actual problems coping when term starts. We've all been through it :sadnod:

What is a college sister?
Reply 404
Original post by cesca42
Kettlechips originally told me we would be getting both a letter and an email, but then it changes to just a letter, because only international applicants get the email.

However, I just checked the information we got in the envelope at interviews and it says the letters will be posted on the 11th.
I can't wait another day! D:

I hope they just means we'll get the letters on the 11th. :frown: Another day would be ARGHH.
Anyone else ridiculously nervous about the decisions on Friday? I'm so scared! Have a biology exam in the afternoon as well so Im not going to settle until I know!
Original post by such_a_lady

Yah, good advice! I think I would mainly be scared of sounding incredibly gauche and naive until I knew my way around. Also of being looked at puzzlingly by tutors and asked "why did we let you in", etc.
Original post by JessicaTSR
Anyone else ridiculously nervous about the decisions on Friday? I'm so scared! Have a biology exam in the afternoon as well so Im not going to settle until I know!

Yep, the biology exam makes the terror 1x10^100000 times worse. :unimpressed:
Original post by Lumos
thanks!

in other news, there is almost nothing I hate more than opening letters of importance... (exam results envelopes, anyone?) I CAN'T DO IT WHY DON'T THEY SEND E-MAILS

also, you can delete e-mails with the click of a button..... but letters..... letters you either keep in regret or.... burn.... neither of which sound very emotionally beneficial :frown:

I am exactly the same! I didn't open my exam results until about a week after I got the letter :rolleyes:
Reply 409
Original post by strifelight
I really don't know if I should open my letter before my exam on Friday! Would the fear of what is inside the letter be worse than the depression of a rejection? :holmes:

That's what I've been thinking about. Everyone tells me to wait until the exam is over, but I know that if I do then I will be worrying about it all through the exam.
Yep, the biology exam makes the terror 1x10^100000 times worse. :unimpressed:

Agree ^
Original post by pak1994
That's what I've been thinking about. Everyone tells me to wait until the exam is over, but I know that if I do then I will be worrying about it all through the exam.

Yep me too, no way would I last an hour and a half without thinking about it! At least you'll know your grade plans and will be motivated to get whatever that grade may be :smile:
Yep me too, no way would I last an hour and a half without thinking about it! At least you'll know your grade plans and will be motivated to get whatever that grade may be :smile:

If I open the letter and don't get in, I think I'll lose motivation and fail even more than if I'm simply worrying. I will resist and leave the letter until after the exam. I think it's the best thing to do for me :L
Reply 413

Exactly. Hopefully it will come before I leave, but our post is very unreliable. Today I say the postman coming at 2pm as I was coming home from school, so I'm not looking forward to Friday. On the other hand, at least then no one will be at home apart from me so I can open it without anyone waiting for me to tell them what it says. I've told my family that I will hear back soon, but I didn't tell them an exact date.
Reply 414
Hi all, just in case you were interested, I have also heard several different versions of when exactly the letters/emails will be sent/received and it seems to me that it might depend on which college. My friend who applied for Brasenose said he had been told definitely tomorrow and the two who applied for Merton said they had been told definitely Friday. Also they're both on a Fb page for Merton applicants and apparently those who get rejected are deleted from the page and it then becomes 'Merton Freshers' (scary!!!) I applied for Wadham but they didn't say anything and the uni website says letters are posted tomorrow AND emails are sent on Friday.

But to be honest I'd much prefer to not know exactly when I find out, especially since there are 9 people at my school waiting and it will inevitably be the number one question on Friday morning AND I have two mock exams on Friday. Potential to be the worst day of my life so far? I think so.
Original post by RoHew
Hi all, just in case you were interested, I have also heard several different versions of when exactly the letters/emails will be sent/received and it seems to me that it might depend on which college. My friend who applied for Brasenose said he had been told definitely tomorrow and the two who applied for Merton said they had been told definitely Friday. Also they're both on a Fb page for Merton applicants and apparently those who get rejected are deleted from the page and it then becomes 'Merton Freshers' (scary!!!) I applied for Wadham but they didn't say anything and the uni website says letters are posted tomorrow AND emails are sent on Friday.

But to be honest I'd much prefer to not know exactly when I find out, especially since there are 9 people at my school waiting and it will inevitably be the number one question on Friday morning AND I have two mock exams on Friday. Potential to be the worst day of my life so far? I think so.

Be thankful you don't have a real exam :colonhash:
I intend to wrestle the Head of our school for the letter and hurl myself on top of it, rip the envelope to pieces and frenziedly run with it to a very, very remote location. Then....
Reply 417
Original post by Lumos
holy crap! I just went through the envelope they gave us when we arrived (still haven't unpacked.....) and it does indeed say 10th! oh god.... oh god!!

Letters are sent on the 10th meaning most probably received on the 11th?
Reply 418
Be thankful you don't have a real exam :colonhash:

I have a couple of those soon too :L
Reply 419
Original post by SoNottingH
I intend to wrestle the Head of our school for the letter and hurl myself on top of it, rip the envelope to pieces and frenziedly run with it to a very, very remote location. Then....

Your letter gets sent to the school!?!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending