The Student Room Group

My Mad Fat Diary (starts in January)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I personally think it was groundbreaking in the way it portrays mental ilness and the perception of it in the 90's
I hope people enjoy it, I just hope it isn't one of these shows that puts forward the whole 'Big girls should be who they are' message and effectively says being overweight is okay.

Of course that might not be what it's like at all.
Reply 22
Started watching it a minute ago on repeat but the acting was so bad I turned it off :/
Reply 23
The acting is that great in my opinion but the storyline is quite good/somehow predictable

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Meh, can already predict the storyline from here.

However, I found it quite enjoyable and will deffs will be tuning in each week. It looked awful from the ad, and it is slightly cringy, but watchable nonetheless.
Original post by tillytots
Meh, can already predict the storyline from here.

However, I found it quite enjoyable and will deffs will be tuning in each week. It looked awful from the ad, and it is slightly cringy, but watchable nonetheless.

The most embarassing/hilarious part was when she described the fit doctor as a "professional wetter of ladygardens" :eek::eek::eek: I literally felt like I wanted to throw up but laugh at the same time!
I thought it was alright, certainly watch able.

I will be tuning in again next week.
Really enjoyed it, especially what she said about the doctor :wink:
I feel like there was a little bit of wish fulfilment in this! :tongue: With the way she so quickly got into the group, I mean. But I don't really care because it's awesome to see somebody like Rae on TV and I can't believe how much parts of it resonated with me- mostly the conversation Rae had with Tix when Tix said 'you don't like it anywhere because you don't like yourself' (ow, that hurt. It's my problem to a tee) and also, the last line where Rae said 'I can't believe they think I'm getting better' which is something I wrote in my diary more than a few times when I got out from hospital and was having an awful time. :/ So yeah, I'm probably going to carry on watching it because I can relate to it and there's an awesome soundtrack (yay to Return of the Mack!) and it's good to see mental illness and binging and self harm handled in a way that feels pretty truthful, at least to me.
Though I hated (and laughed at) the way she talked about men/boys. I have to say though, none of the acting stood out to me as being especially bad. I liked it well enough, I don't know what I'm supposed to tune in for next week though. It's not especially gripping but it passed the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The author went to my school, and the book is based on her experiences there - so it's all meant to be set where I live, which is slightly weird when you watch it like that.

I was unconvinced by the first episode, but will stick with it for another one at least and see if it grows on me!
Original post by Converse Rocker
I hope people enjoy it, I just hope it isn't one of these shows that puts forward the whole 'Big girls should be who they are' message and effectively says being overweight is okay.

Of course that might not be what it's like at all.

Digressing a little so I'm going to put my response in a spoiler to save space but...

Spoiler

Sorry if this seems confrontational, I really don't mean to be. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt like they were putting the viewers in the shoes of Rae's character, by experiencing the same feelings she does with all the humiliating situations she found herself in. It's obvious that she's treated differently because of her size and mental condition, for example her "best friend" at times I didn't like her character because I felt she came across as a bit fake? Like she invites Rae to hang around with her and the gang but the next day no one calls Rae and she goes to the pub to find her best friend who didn't call her and didn't expect her to be there. Rae also had to ask if she was invited to the pool party. They're trying to make an audience see what it feels like for her to not only be overweight, but mentally ill compared to the rest of her friends, and how much harder she finds it to cope with bad things that happen to her like being laughed at and called names over her weight, falling out of the window and getting stuck on the slide in the pool.
I loved it! Can't wait for next Monday.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by diamonddust
Sorry if this seems confrontational, I really don't mean to be. :smile:

Don't worry, it wasn't. :smile: Response below:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Just caught up with the first episode on repeat... by the end of it I thought it was pretty good; looking forward to the series! :smile:
Reply 35
I thought it was pretty sad, some bits were funny but the whole fat girl trying to make herself seem normal just sad really. :/ I will watch the rest of the series but it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped!
I enjoyed it, Looking forward to episode 2 tonight :smile: Found it very realistic tbh
Reply 37
I refuse to watch a girl, (who in real life wouldn't) have a better social life, and love life before me. My self esteem is already rock bottom this girl is pushing me to the edge of suicidal. I wouldn't cope if I watched it
Oh my god, the best friend is such a bitch...
It is actually unreal how much I can relate to the main character. I've got experience with mental health services, I'm fat and I also find Archie ultimately fit. . .

Original post by *~HeartShapedBox
Oh my god, the best friend is such a bitch...

Also completely agree with you there :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending