The Student Room Group

Telling your parents youre in a relationship

Hello,

So basically, I've been in a relationship for around two/three months now and it's quite serious, we have a LOT in common, our backgrounds are similar ect.

I'm 18 (he turns 18 a day after me) and I live with my parents. My relationship with my parents is healthy, no problems and they completely trust me but the problem is that I'm really shy about talking to them about stuff like boys because they ask uncomfortable questions.

My siblings are aware of my boyfriend and do make the typical awkward jokes but I feel like with my parents it would be different? More awkward? I feel that if I tell them I have a boyfriend and I said I'm staying round his or going out somewhere with him they would get the idea that we are having sex non stop, which we are not.

Basically, my main question is how do I become more comfortable about telling my parents about my boyfriend? and making the whole situation more comfortable?

Thanks! ^_^

didnt proof read.. sorry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just tell them; it's not new to your parents- they're in a relationship afterall, by the sounds of it they're understanding people and wont have a problem... sorry I can't give anything more than some assurance. :P I don't see why you'd be shy about it; that's a thought I had when I was much younger, as I grew the thought settled into the category of just an everyday thing that wouldn't phase me, and I'm timid in nature also, just say haha. It's better than keeping it a secret.
(edited 11 years ago)
"Mum, dad, this is Jack" They will get the message :smile:
Reply 3
Is this your first relationship?
Have you ever told them about previous boyfriends (if you had any)?
Reply 4
Original post by Pinkhead
Is this your first relationship?
Have you ever told them about previous boyfriends (if you had any)?

Yeah, I've had a serious one previously but only my mother knew about it (my father travels a lot so he didn't find out till later and he did make some silly remarks) and she was chilled about it but it was somebody that she sort of knew whereas this is just a boy I've met at college.

I think just bringing him home and introducing would be the easiest solution tbh but because I'm the youngest (of six) I feel more awkward about it because they view me as the baby of the family.. I think I'm making a bigger deal of this then it should be, I know but I'm very shy.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

I'm 18 (he turns 18 a day after me)

So... it's your birthday? :confused: Happy birthday :lol:
Reply 6
Add them on facebook. Make it facebook official. Wait till they see. Delete them from facebook. BOOM. Social awkwardness avoided.
Original post by Danny.
So... it's your birthday? :confused: Happy birthday :lol:

no.....
Reply 8
Just blurt it out, ripping off the plaster approach
Reply 9
Original post by manchesterunited15
no.....

You said you were 18 and he turns 18 a day after you, therefore the only explanation is that it was your birthday and it's his today :wink:
Original post by Danny.
You said you were 18 and he turns 18 a day after you, therefore the only explanation is that it was your birthday and it's his today :wink:

First of all, I'm not the OP...
How does someone being 18 mean they must have turned 18 yesterday? :facepalm2:
Reply 11

Because otherwise they'd both be 18, but OP made it sound like he's yet to turn 18, which if she's already 18 and his birthday's the day after would make it her birthday the day she posted.
Reply 12
Original post by 11flon
Because otherwise they'd both be 18, but OP made it sound like he's yet to turn 18, which if she's already 18 and his birthday's the day after would make it her birthday the day she posted.

No, it was not my birthday yesterday, the brackets made it quicker for me to state his age. Furthermore, is that all you got from the thread?

But.. thanks for the birthday wishes... on a day that wasn't my birthday... it's still appreciated.
Reply 13
Why would you ever tell your parents about who you ****? It's so weird. It's none of their ****ing business, as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 14
I never actually told my parents about my last relationship just said 'I am going to dinner with _____ tonight' 'I am going to ______'s today' 'can ______ come over?' until they said I'm guessing he's your boyfriend?
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
No, it was not my birthday yesterday, the brackets made it quicker for me to state his age. Furthermore, is that all you got from the thread?

But.. thanks for the birthday wishes... on a day that wasn't my birthday... it's still appreciated.

Aha it wasn't me who posted the birthday thing initially so I didn't actually give you any birthday wishes, I was just explaining why the original person would have thought that since they hadn't replied yet. And, without sounding too picky, "We're both 18," would have been quicker than "I'm 18 (he turns 18 a day after me),"

I didn't really have anything constructive to say to your OP. You're 18, telling your parents that you have a boyfriend isn't a big deal unless you know your parents won't be happy with it, I understand that you're shy and such so you'll be nervous to tell them but by the sounds of it your family are cool with that sort of thing and you'll be fine, not really a whole lot to say.
(edited 11 years ago)
Telling your parents is going to be easier then them finding out a few months down the line and thinking you've done it behind their back! Just tell them you've been seeing someone a few months his names is ???? and if you want them to meet him or not? I'm sure they'd want to meet him. You're 18 so its perfectly acceptable to have a boyfriend so I don't see why you should be shy about it!
Distract them with worse news, such as you are pregnant, or crashed their car, or maybe are a murderer. Then when you tell them you're joking, they'll be so relieved they won't even care about you having a boyfriend

/situation
Reply 18

What? :lol:
Reply 19
OP just tell them you little bitch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending