The Student Room Group

Acne help? I want to get rid of the damn stuff -.-

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliceElizabeth19
I'll try my best to be put on a longer course of it, I need more than a couple months worth with how bad everything on my skin has gotten I could even see the acne on my webcam when I was talking to my boyfriend earlier cos of how dark they have become in comparison to the rest of my skin and I think I can feel a new cyst forming on my cheek so I've currently got 5 on my face -.-

Yeah, the thing is, even a shorter course will get rid of it, but you need a longer one for the effect to be permanent.
I had really bad acne when I was 13-14, up to around 16. I know for a fact that it is genetic, my mother had it up till her 20s, my sister as well (in fact she had until she went at Roaccutane at 25). Of course a poor diet/hygiene etc makes it worse, but for most people who really struggle with acne, a lifestyle change doesn't matter (I use premium skincare and am very healthy). I'm sure you already know this, but some people don't.

I did Roaccutane for about 2 months and it really worked. However it started to come back and another dermatologist told me I should have used it for a longer time. So make sure the Doctor knows that you know that you need a longer dose.
Original post by Millie228
Yeah, the thing is, even a shorter course will get rid of it, but you need a longer one for the effect to be permanent.
I had really bad acne when I was 13-14, up to around 16. I know for a fact that it is genetic, my mother had it up till her 20s, my sister as well (in fact she had until she went at Roaccutane at 25). Of course a poor diet/hygiene etc makes it worse, but for most people who really struggle with acne, a lifestyle change doesn't matter (I use premium skincare and am very healthy). I'm sure you already know this, but some people don't.

I did Roaccutane for about 2 months and it really worked. However it started to come back and another dermatologist told me I should have used it for a longer time. So make sure the Doctor knows that you know that you need a longer dose.

Same issues in my family with it being genetic but I'm the first female to have had it this bad. All 4 of my dad's brothers have had acne and my brother has had it as well but he was put on roaccutane when he was 13/14 cos of how badly affected he was by it as well. I think I'm the one they were hoping to do nothing with but no luck so far XD

I guess as long as I explain the history of my family's acne and what I've been on to get rid of it they'll be likely to put me on for 4/5 months at a time :smile:
Reply 262
It may be counterintuitive but my nutritionist friend said fish oils are the best way to get healthy skin, tuna/salmon/makeral every other day has helped a lot :smile: also banana's seem to help, well at least my acne gets worse when I don't eat them (but this might be because they are substituted with chocolate)
Original post by Brainiac
It may be counterintuitive but my nutritionist friend said fish oils are the best way to get healthy skin, tuna/salmon/makeral every other day has helped a lot :smile: also banana's seem to help, well at least my acne gets worse when I don't eat them (but this might be because they are substituted with chocolate)

Thanks but I do eat fish usually about 3/4 times a week as well as the bananas and I eat more bananas in the winter than the summer as obviously there isn't as much sunlight around during the winter but I do try to get out and expose my skin to the sunlight even during the colder parts of the year :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 264
Thanks but I do eat fish usually about 3/4 times a week as well as the bananas and I eat more bananas in the winter than the summer as obviously there isn't as much sunlight around during the winter but I do try to get out and expose my skin to the sunlight even during the colder parts of the year :smile:

Quinoderm from Boots, behind the counter, about £2.65. Bloody brilliant!
Reply 265
Original post by Classical Liberal
From doing some research and trying things out on myself.

I can tell you from experience that diet does effect your skin. I can deliberately give myself really bad acne. It is very easy. I just need to have a diet with lots of diary, simple carbs (pasta, rice, bread) and sugary foods, whilst not having any oily fish, veggies and fruits.

And when you have acne, and you feel like you can atleast have some control over it with your diet, it feels much better than thinking you cannot do anything to deal with it other than taking drugs. My acne has gotten worse since about a month ago. The reason being I went away on holiday, which meant my diet changed (ended up eating wayyy too many carbs). I ended up getting a fair few big inflammed spots. Since I have got back home, got back on my diet, my skin is not breaking out.

And anyway having a diet to try and clear up your skin is just good for your health generally. You will be fitter, live longer, have more energy, be smarter etc.

The best thing to do for acne is to use both topological treatments, benzoyl peroxide, and dietary adjustments. The most powerful diet being a prolonged fast, there are lots of stories of people actually getting rid of ice pick scarring through fasting for like a month. And when I did a 3 day fast, my red scars definitely started to fade.

You are what you eat, literally, and what you eat and how you eat it, effects your entire body. I just wish somebody had told me this earlier, particularly my GP who should have known better, but hey they don't give a ****.

If you're going to get angry and quote "evidence" to back up your statements at least learn to spell dairy right. Dairy = food like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Diary = something you write in! Your anecdotal evidence of what has worked for you (one person) isn't exactly as credible as peer reviewed literature in medical journals with hundreds of subjects, is it?

Oh and the reason women are at great risk of osteoporosis compared to men is because women have a lower bone density than men and due to changes in hormones during the menopause, therefore it's important for women, especially young women to consume enough calcium rich foods because women reach their peak bone mass at 18. Men have a lower risk of osteoporosis because they have a higher bone density than women and don't go through the menopause. It's not some big conspiracy, it's just the facts.

The only thing that worked for me was Dianette. I had terrible acne up to age 17, which was so bad it scarred my skin, on my back in particular. I didn't have typical acne, in the sense that my skin wasn't terribly oily, but this worked a treat. I did have some blood tests done and even though I didn't have PCOS I believe there were some of my hormone levels that were a bit out, so I reckon that the Dianette corrected whatever imbalance there was. Unfortunately you can't stay on Dianette indefinitely but I then went on Yasmin, and luckily my acne hasn't returned. Now I have to put up with slightly dry skin, but this is nothing compared to dealing with acne.
Original post by luce20

I use the Dermalogica (mainly Hit the Spot) stuff personally, but I am sure that the one you recommends works just as well.

@OP: Seriously, these products work. They work seriously well. Twice a day keeps it at bay and gently removes the spot over a week or so. Four times a day fights back at it within a couple of days only.

Legendary stuff, either Dermalogica, or this Quinoderm. Seriously, it works miracles!
Reply 267
It does for me, I can't use any simple products apart from the eye make-up remover as my skin becomes irritated by it and makes my skin a hell of a lot worse. I've tried a few of their products and it's the same result I can't even use their body shower gels or soaps

Contrary to popular belief, Simple skincare isn't necessarily good for your skin. Look at any Simple product and look at the number of ingredients on the back! I'm not saying it's any worse than most of the other skin products out there, but it's not much better than the rest of them. Most of them contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which can dry your skin out, liquid paraffin and benzophenone-4, which is a sun protectant that can block your pores. For me, Cetaphil works much better!
Original post by President Snow
I use the Dermalogica (mainly Hit the Spot) stuff personally, but I am sure that the one you recommends works just as well.

@OP: Seriously, these products work. They work seriously well. Twice a day keeps it at bay and gently removes the spot over a week or so. Four times a day fights back at it within a couple of days only.

Legendary stuff, either Dermalogica, or this Quinoderm. Seriously, it works miracles!

These products are ones that I've tried and they don't work for me, when ever I try a product I try it for about 3/4 weeks before getting rid of it or giving the rest of the product to someone else that uses it.

I've gotten a dermatologist appointment for the Tuesday after next so I'll hopefully be referred to a hospital after that to be put on a course of roaccutane. After/ during the course I'm going to switch to using cetaphil so prevent any major breakouts after the course is over so I'll hopefully just be using my clean and clear facial wash and cetaphil on a daily basis rather than clean and clear with skinoren and my moisturiser which I have to put on twice in the day (usually about 4/5 hours after the first time I put on moisturiser) then once again at night. I can't wait to be able to just use a facial wash once a day ^^

Original post by motoe
Contrary to popular belief, Simple skincare isn't necessarily good for your skin. Look at any Simple product and look at the number of ingredients on the back! I'm not saying it's any worse than most of the other skin products out there, but it's not much better than the rest of them. Most of them contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which can dry your skin out, liquid paraffin and benzophenone-4, which is a sun protectant that can block your pores. For me, Cetaphil works much better!

I know it's really weird how many ingredients it has in it when it's supposed to have the least amount! O.o I've started using the boots sensitive eye make up remover and garnier facial make up remover the best for me so far! But I can't use any other garnier products which is really weird as well O.o

Reply 270
I heard foods low in G.I are good for Acne, watched it on the food hospital with someone with severe acne, didn't get rid of them, but made them less noticable and a few were gone, and of course low incount of milk, because of the hormones in them.

adam-ba.jpg
Have you tried an anti-inflammatory diet? Every food has an inflammatory rating which you can find online. You'd be surprised that most "healthy" foods (even fruits, staple foods) are considered inflammatory, which adds up.
Original post by TooEasy123
Have you tried an anti-inflammatory diet? Every food has an inflammatory rating which you can find online. You'd be surprised that most "healthy" foods (even fruits, staple foods) are considered inflammatory, which adds up.

Tried an anti-inflammatory diet, trust me when I say I've tried everything possible I literally mean it xD it's the main reason I'm due to be put on roaccutane within the next 2 weeks :smile:

Original post by Blazinq
I heard foods low in G.I are good for Acne, watched it on the food hospital with someone with severe acne, didn't get rid of them, but made them less noticable and a few were gone, and of course low incount of milk, because of the hormones in them.

adam-ba.jpg

I follow that style of eating with making sure the G.I count is low my acne has gone down slightly since but it's still bad

(edited 11 years ago)
Forget all the spot products - just try steaming. Heat up water, once it's boiled, put it into a big bowl. Get a towel, throw it over your head and put your face over the bowl (leave about a 16 inch gap). It's a bit difficult to breathe, but you'll get used to it - just sweat it out.

Do this about 2/3 times a week - I used to have recurring spots on my forehead in the same place and I started about 2 weeks ago. My forehead cleared up by the second steaming session and it's still completely clear now as well.
Original post by Oops. Again.
Forget all the spot products - just try steaming. Heat up water, once it's boiled, put it into a big bowl. Get a towel, throw it over your head and put your face over the bowl (leave about a 16 inch gap). It's a bit difficult to breathe, but you'll get used to it - just sweat it out.

Do this about 2/3 times a week - I used to have recurring spots on my forehead in the same place and I started about 2 weeks ago. My forehead cleared up by the second steaming session and it's still completely clear now as well.

I do that about 3/4 times a week as well usually before I go I bed after I've put a steamed flannel over my face to clear any excess dirt :smile:

Reply 276
Original post by luce20

Hey need to talk

Get in touch...
Reply 277
Original post by Macabre
Hey need to talk

Get in touch...

Talk to Naomi...I presume shes still in Sheffield???

If you didn't get what I put above...in other words do one.)
Reply 278
There is a simple solution. Switch your diet to non-processed foods. No packaged foods. All fresh fruit and vegetables. Stick to a raw food diet for at least 21 days and you'll see your skin clear up and become like baby skin. It's a lot to do with what you eat. Junk food which has loads of preservatives in it and chemicals completely ruins your skin.

Drink loads and loads of water as well. Basically just have a detox. Try drinking just green vegetable juice for 10 days to detox your system.
Original post by tif49
There is a simple solution. Switch your diet to non-processed foods. No packaged foods. All fresh fruit and vegetables. Stick to a raw food diet for at least 21 days and you'll see your skin clear up and become like baby skin. It's a lot to do with what you eat. Junk food which has loads of preservatives in it and chemicals completely ruins your skin.

Drink loads and loads of water as well. Basically just have a detox. Try drinking just green vegetable juice for 10 days to detox your system.

Although eating healthily is good for the skin, in no way does it clear up acne, this is just a myth. Take it from experience, I have eaten healthy foods my whole life and always include fruit and vegetables in my diet, yet I still had acne.

The only really way to get rid of acne is to visit a dermatologist.

Quick Reply

Latest