The Student Room Group

How is it like to become a fitness instructor? Plz Help

Hey guys

I graduated in a law degree last year but I have recently started taking interest in Fitness instructor/PT course. I'm looking at changing career and becoming a fitness instructor/PT but it seems the pay is really low and you have to perhaps do extra self employed work on top of that to make enough.

Does anyone do this, does it work well or is it not self employed - do you do the personal training through the gym you work for and classes etc? What are the employment prospects like and would I find job immediately after completing the course? One of the fitness academy rang me recently and said that they would offer me job at the end of the course but I don’t know how true that is because most of the time you have to find your own clients which can be very difficult. I really don’t know how it all works; I just need some direction and advice from any of you trainers out there.

Thanks so much
:smile:
Reply 1
Can someone give me any advice on it.
Reply 2
It all depends to be honest, most people will start off working in gyms/fitness centres and sometimes that can be enough to live off. A lot of them may also do extra self employed personal training sessions on the side or through the gym i.e DW fitness you will pay around £30 for an hours session, the PT will obviously get some and so will the gym.

Some might then choose to try and start their own business focused on personal training and nutrition, this will often be through a mixture of private/group sessions and online nutrition advise and exercise programming.

it's a hard industry to be successful in because there is still a lot of "bro science" being thrown about. But if you want to do a PT qualification then go for it, you've still got the law degree to go back on.

Though i would recommend doing a lot of research so you don't get sucked in by the BS that is rife in a lot of commercial gyms.
Reply 3
Original post by Molem7b5
It all depends to be honest, most people will start off working in gyms/fitness centres and sometimes that can be enough to live off. A lot of them may also do extra self employed personal training sessions on the side or through the gym i.e DW fitness you will pay around £30 for an hours session, the PT will obviously get some and so will the gym.

Some might then choose to try and start their own business focused on personal training and nutrition, this will often be through a mixture of private/group sessions and online nutrition advise and exercise programming.

it's a hard industry to be successful in because there is still a lot of "bro science" being thrown about. But if you want to do a PT qualification then go for it, you've still got the law degree to go back on.

Though i would recommend doing a lot of research so you don't get sucked in by the BS that is rife in a lot of commercial gyms.

Thank you so much that was very helpful.
Reply 4
I am a certified group trainer and a PT and I have worked in gyms as well as offered private sessions. The gyms don't pay much but offer a safety net -- freedom from liability, equipment, a steady stream of clients and some job security to start.

I did not earn enough just working at a gym even though I was full-time. I had to hustle and freelance and made the most pay when I taught group classes or had repeat private clients. To gain clients I put on free classes, networked with other instructors, taught for fund-raisers, formed fitness groups, etc. Oh, and my gym allowed me to train non-gym members at their facility (of course for a guest fee). Many gyms wont allow that so check first.

Lastly, be prepared for the inevitable drop-off of your clients. Only the people who are completely into fitness stick with a programme. And they are the ones who eventually will not need your services!

Don't get me wrong -- I love it and it keeps in motivated and fit. It just doesn't pay many of the bills...
If you become a personal trainer, you get to use the GYM for free... save yourself around £30-£40 you would have spent out of your wages anyway. :P
Reply 6
Original post by fyregirl
I am a certified group trainer and a PT and I have worked in gyms as well as offered private sessions. The gyms don't pay much but offer a safety net -- freedom from liability, equipment, a steady stream of clients and some job security to start.

I did not earn enough just working at a gym even though I was full-time. I had to hustle and freelance and made the most pay when I taught group classes or had repeat private clients. To gain clients I put on free classes, networked with other instructors, taught for fund-raisers, formed fitness groups, etc. Oh, and my gym allowed me to train non-gym members at their facility (of course for a guest fee). Many gyms wont allow that so check first.

Lastly, be prepared for the inevitable drop-off of your clients. Only the people who are completely into fitness stick with a programme. And they are the ones who eventually will not need your services!

Don't get me wrong -- I love it and it keeps in motivated and fit. It just doesn't pay many of the bills...

How much did they pay you at the start if you don't mind me asking? I spoke to one of the guy who is currently recruiting people and he said to me that I would get £21,000 once i complete the six weeks course he is offering in personal trainer? Even though I've seacrhed so much into it but am still confuse and don't know whether to go for it or not.
Reply 7
it's hard and competitive.
Reply 8
Original post by zzzxxxccc
it's hard and competitive.

Agree.

I spoke to one of the guy who is offering pt courses and he said i would have to pay rent to the gym as well and that' £450.00 regardless of whether i earn that much or not. I don'think i wanna do the course, its just too risky.

Quick Reply