The Student Room Group

UK Power Networks Graduate Video Interview (2013)

Hi,

I'd like to ask anyone who has gone through the graduate application process at UK Power Networks to shed some light and provide some tips for the video interview and the assessment centre.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi M8
I also have this video interview due in a couple of days! have no clue what kind of questions they will ask, whether competency or about the company. but all i know that there are four questions and each has 2-3 minutes limit.

sent you a pm! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi Som,

I saw your PM before this. Yeah I'm in the same position. Its a bit daunting to have a strict time limit and doing it on camera and it's my first video interview as well. Good thing is, they give a minute to organise the answer, but I dono if its enough. We'll see shortly. Best of Luck.
Reply 3
Original post by User_Q
Hi,

I'd like to ask anyone who has gone through the graduate application process at UK Power Networks to shed some light and provide some tips for the video interview and the assessment centre.

Thanks.

Hello,

Just a quick one have you done your video interview, can you shed some idea please. Mine is coming up soon

Thanks.
Reply 4
Hello friends.I too applied for Engineering Graduate Program of UKPN.I received the invitation for Online Test from UK Power Networks on 7th February 2013 & deadline was 10th February 2013.I completed the Online Numerical Reasoning test on 9th February 2013.Immediately after completing test received initially i received another Numerical Reasoning Test from UKPN which also i completed the same date.

I came to know that the next stage is Video Interview.Please reply me the exact time-period spent in your case from the date of completing online-test to finally gaining invitation for Video Interview from UKPN for which i will be highly thank-full to you.

Eagerly waiting to hear from any one of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wishing u all good-luck with your application at UKPN.
Reply 5
Original post by som
Hi M8
I also have this video interview due in a couple of days! have no clue what kind of questions they will ask, whether competency or about the company. but all i know that there are four questions and each has 2-3 minutes limit.

sent you a pm! :smile:

Hello friend, i too applied for Engineering Graduate Program of UKPN.I received the invitation for Online Test from UK Power Networks on 7th February 2013 & deadline was 10th February 2013.I completed the Online Numerical Reasoning test on 9th February 2013.Immediately after completing test received initially i received another Numerical Reasoning Test from UKPN which also i completed the same date.

I came to know that the next stage is Video Interview.Please reply me the exact time-period spent in your case from the date of completing online-test to finally gaining invitation for Video Interview from UKPN for which i will be highly thank-full to you.

Eagerly waiting to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wishing u good-luck with your application at UKPN.
Reply 6
Original post by User_Q
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Im in the same position and due to take the test in the next few days. any advice?
Reply 7
hey guys i am on the engineering program and it was easier than i thought. u only get 4q. they were sth like why u want to work there and talk about myself, talk about situations like when you did have challenge when working in teams, situation about taking initiative for something, and I thnk last one was about ethics/integrity in work... u have little time to talk on each so talk to the point.

Did anyone get same qsns??
Reply 8
I just wanted to give an update about the video interview. The time given is really short 2-3 min per question and then it cuts off so be brief and keep an eye on the clock. From what I remember I was asked about the company and about the importance of customer service.
Reply 9
so i believe everyone has given the test by now- would anyone like to discuss how was it?- and did they asked the same questions from everyone or different?
Reply 10
They started sending out assessment centre invitation, anyone got one? :smile:
Reply 11
yea i got one.
Reply 12
I have one as well after 10 days or so.
Does anyone know what the schedule is and what to expect in the day besides the retesting?
Reply 13
I have had my assessment centre and it was nothing to worry about. The assessors were very friendly and easy to get along with. Not everyone you are with will be applying to the business graduate scheme, you will also have engineers and IT as well but you will all be doing the same tasks.

The first half of the day is individual tests; numerical and verbal reasoning, and also a short individual presentation (just you and 2 assessors, no one else is in the room). I'm not going to tell you what the presentation is about, but you can't really prepare for it as you are given all the information you need when you are there. There are short breaks in between the activities where you can get drinks (free tea/coffee/water) or go to the toilet. There were also some current graduates that are on the scheme available to talk to.

They put on a buffet for lunch (meat/fish/vegetarian,range of sandwiches, cheeses etc) and you can chat to current members of staff "off the record" so if you have any questions you can talk to them.

After lunch you are split into groups of about 4 or 5 and take part in 2 group activities. One of which my group found particularly difficult, and the other rather easy. As with the presentation, you are given all the information you need when you get into the room so I won't be telling you what the activities are :wink: As with all group activities remember the assessors are looking at your ability to listen as well as give input. You don't have to 'fight for power' with the other candidates and if you are not the strongest at one particular aspect of the task then don't worry about allowing someone with those skills to take the lead.

Finally they just give you a goodbye talk and tell you a little bit about the schemes and how many grads they will be recruiting. The day is planned to finish at about 4:30, but I believe we finished slightly earlier.

Overall I would say the day was fantastic and the staff were very good at putting everyone at ease. The venue itself was faultless. I was called the day after and told I was successful into getting to the next stage (interviews). I was told they don't have a set amount of people to get through to the next stage, it is just about your individual performance rather than compared to everyone else.

I'm happy to answer questions about the day to put you at ease, but I won't be giving you any specific information about the activities on the grounds of fairness.
Reply 14
I agree with ReapeR01. The day was quite enjoyable and the activities were not really difficult apart from one of the group exercises. The SHL tests are on paper and you can only use the calculators provided. Its true that there isn't much you can prepare for in advance and the information they give you on the day is all you need to do well. When you are working try to figure out which information is most important and focus on that. Look through all the information you are given first. Also keep track of time. I found that there wasn't too much pressure in terms of time, but you do need to be aware of it. Do give others in the group a chance to speak and share their ideas. There is no need to be pushy or aggressive even if you are right. Its about respectful teamwork. You are put in 2 different groups for the 2 group exercises. The assessors were approachable and they enjoyed a laugh, so be yourself and have a friendly conversation with them at lunch.
Reply 15
Original post by tom_hank
Hi there,

thanks for your experience about UK Power Network assessment experience. I wish you good luck and hope you go through the next stage.

I have an assessment on Monday, i would appreciate a little bit of your assistant as this is my first assessment ever. few questions to ask:

1) what was the individual presentation about?
2) a little hint about 2 group exercises?

any advise would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Hiya,

I won't give you details on the topics of the exercises, because that is not fair. I assume you want to know specifics so you can prepare for it, but as I said there isn't much you can prepare for in advance. When you get the exercises there are clear instructions on what you need to do and then there is all the information you would be expected to know there as well. Stay calm, read the instructions fully and then figure out what information is most important from it all. As I said before, keep an eye on the time and for the group exercises be patient and work with others to get the answers. You are most likely to find one of the group exercises difficult, but the other should be easier so stay positive.

If you have the qualifications and you have made it this far, you should be capable of handling the work. As far as I saw, there weren't any tricks or any specific knowledge that you need to bring. You can brush up on some electrical basics, but that's about it.

I hope this helps. I found the other candidates were friendly and it was the same with the assessors. They are not trying to scare you or make you fail so be yourself and best of luck.
Reply 16
By the way tom_hank, double check your assessment date. I don't think there is an assessment centre on Monday :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by User_Q
By the way tom_hank, double check your assessment date. I don't think there is an assessment centre on Monday :smile:

thanks for your advises.

yes i have double checked he assessment is on 11th.
Reply 18
Original post by tom_hank
thanks for your advises.

yes i have double checked he assessment is on 11th.

The previous email said the dates were:

Tuesday 5 March
Wednesday 6 March
Tuesday 12 March
Wednesday 13 March
Thursday 14 March
Tuesday 19 March
Reply 19
Hey guys,

tom_hank, I have to agree with ReapeR01 those are the dates that I got in my email as well so make sure you double check your AC date!

Guys that have been on the assessment centre, completely understandable about not giving out specifics considering we are all still in the middle of the process. However, I will ask, is there any general advice you would give in terms of the assessment centre. Would you say that time pressure is a massive challenge in the exercises? Or were there any technical questions/situations where technical knowledge would have helped? Just want to do my best!

Quick Reply

Latest