The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Chances of getting into St Andrews?

Hello all :smile:

Basically I'm in my gap year and am in the process of receiving my university replies. I've applied for a degree in French and Spanish at St Andrews, Warwick and Bristol (as my top choices) and Southampton and Kent as insurances. I have so far received two unconditional offers for Warwick and Kent, but every UCAS email that arrives in my inbox sees me wishing for St Andrews.

I got ABCC at AS in French, Spanish, English Language and Law (I then retook both Spanish exams and got an A in both modules) and continued to A2 where I got A French, A Spanish and B (7 marks off an A) in English Language.

Collectively I have a qualification in 6 different languages ranging from A level to NVQ (English, French, Spanish, German, Latin and Chinese). I am also a qualified English EFL teacher (I obtained a B in a CELTA course).

I think my personal statement was good and my reference was amazing. I'm just suuuuuper impatient and nervous!

Any advice, opinion or experience anyone could offer me as to my likelihood to be accepted into St Andrews would be amazing.

Emily :piggy:
Reply 1
Be patient.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
It really is a case of playing the waiting game now. I know it's not ideal but you've done all you can now so you just need to wait. My offer didn't come through until February. At St Andrews, for home students they always wait for all the applications to be in before they make a decision. Good luck though, sorry that I can't be more help, it's really just down to the tutors now.
No news is good news, if you haven't been rejected it means that they're considering your application. I applied for Arabic and got an offer :smile:. I believe you're below the requirement of AAA but the range of qualifications you hold in languages as well as the personal statement are going to work really well to your advantage.
Reply 4
Original post by Calllu-m
No news is good news, if you haven't been rejected it means that they're considering your application. I applied for Arabic and got an offer :smile:. I believe you're below the requirement of AAA but the range of qualifications you hold in languages as well as the personal statement are going to work really well to your advantage.

Oh wow congratulations! :biggrin: The offer for French and Spanish in the prospectus was AAB, which I have (I probably wouldn't have applied if I didn't have the grades). However maybe that's not the normal offer? Ah thank you so much :biggrin:
Original post by meadsey
Oh wow congratulations! :biggrin: The offer for French and Spanish in the prospectus was AAB, which I have (I probably wouldn't have applied if I didn't have the grades). However maybe that's not the normal offer? Ah thank you so much :biggrin:

Oh my mistake. It's just usually St. As ask AAA. Then I think you'll be fine, and hopefully see you l'année prochaine :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending