Visit website

Plymouth: chavy or posh?

Hello!

So, i was wondering what Plymouth was actually like
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JAD21
Hello!

So, i was just wondering how posh/chavvy Plymouth and it's university actually is?!

I get the vibe it is a bit on the chavy side. I apologise for this, but I am yet to visit.

Thank youuu

I would say its neither really, like most cities you get a bit of both generally but the University itself is a good diverse mix of cultures.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Hi,

I cannot comment on the university itself, however I've been to Plymouth so many times I dare not count (relatives and friends). Overall, it's not a bad city. However, there are some areas (Vauxhall St and Union St are the first places that spring to mind) that you should definitely avoid walking down alone, particularly at night. Some places are better than others, but that's the case with nearly all large cities. The Barbican is a nice area. :smile:
Reply 3
Hi,

I'm a current Plymouth Uni student. At university, or at least the universities that are starting to really stick out like Plymouth, you kind of forget about "chavy or posh". That's not what life is about. You go to university to prepare for your career and to step further into your chosen field.
There'll be people you don't get on with, there'll be people you fall in lone with. But "chavy or posh" doesn't really exist.
Reply 4
Original post by JAD21
Hello!

So, i was just wondering how posh/chavvy Plymouth and it's university actually is?!

I get the vibe it is a bit on the chavy side. I apologise for this, but I am yet to visit.

Thank youuu

Hahaha it's certainly not posh!
Chavvy...

I think a lot of it is filled with local Devon people who don't want to leave home or go to a proper university. I think it's quite college like and they offer quite a few qualifications that aren't full Batchelor degrees (like foundation courses, foundation degrees etc). It is in partnership with a lot of the other local colleges in Devon and Somerset - so after spending a year at those they then finish off their final year at the university. I think there is an emphasis on making higher education accessible to all.

Basically though if you are an achiever you'll probably apply and go to Exeter uni but if your A Level results aren't great and you don't know what to do - you'll head to Plymouth!

They do a lot of vocational weird degrees at Plymouth - like Surf Science, Public services, social policy etc.

I agree the prospectus and website make it look very tempting and professional. In reality though the people I know who went there had about 2 C grade A Levels (if that) and treat it like a college.

EDIT: neg me all you like but living locally and having visited the university this is my perception. (It might be well regarded in other parts of the country) but down here it is certainly not well known for producing world class academics!! Having said that though the university does appear to sit well in the league tables for an ex-poly.

I actually thought of going there a couple of times - but only because I thought it might be cheaper, less effort or as a backup choice if I didn't do very well A Levels wise. The range of courses and low entry requirements do look appealing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by arty
Hahaha it's certainly not posh!
Chavvy...

I think a lot of it is filled with local Devon people who don't want to leave home or go to a proper university. I think it's quite college like and they offer quite a few qualifications that aren't full Batchelor degrees (like foundation courses, foundation degrees etc). It is in partnership with a lot of the other local colleges in Devon and Somerset - so after spending a year at those they then finish off their final year at the university. I think there is an emphasis on making higher education accessible to all.

Basically though if you are an achiever you'll probably apply and go to Exeter uni but if your A Level results aren't great and you don't know what to do - you'll head to Plymouth!

They do a lot of vocational weird degrees at Plymouth - like Surf Science, Public services, social policy etc.

I agree the prospectus and website make it look very tempting and professional. In reality though the people I know who went there had about 2 C grade A Levels (if that) and treat it like a college.

EDIT: neg me all you like but living locally and having visited the university this is my perception. (It might be well regarded in other parts of the country) but down here it is certainly not well known for producing world class academics!! Having said that though the university does appear to sit well in the league tables for an ex-poly.

I actually thought of going there a couple of times - but only because I thought it might be cheaper, less effort or as a backup choice if I didn't do very well A Levels wise. The range of courses and low entry requirements do look appealing.

Although the statements above are true, you struggle to include the positive argument to each statement. Although we offer a lot of "weird" courses like Surf Sciences, we also have great mathematics and engineering departments (from my own experience) and offer a unique student life.
I received A,A,B,C at A-Level taking all sciences and music. Although that's not the best, I feel Plymouth comfortably accepts those types of grades. We are linked to local colleges, like many other universities and we also have a very strong partnership with Exeter who as you probably know, won the Sunday Times University of the Year award 2013 and were runners-up in 2012. On top of that Plymouth University was also short-listed for that same award this year as well as a couple other Sunday Times awards.

I have friends all over the country right now and Plymouth certainly puts up a fight.

From my own experience, Plymouth is an above average university that offers amazing rewards to those that enjoy the southern coast, weather and culture. Although it has many broken areas, mainly left over from the crushing World Wars, it has some of the most beautiful sights and I often venture out looking for them returning to the amazing night life.
Reply 6
Original post by Lukeeee
Although the statements above are true, you struggle to include the positive argument to each statement. Although we offer a lot of "weird" courses like Surf Sciences, we also have great mathematics and engineering departments (from my own experience) and offer a unique student life.
I received A,A,B,C at A-Level taking all sciences and music. Although that's not the best, I feel Plymouth comfortably accepts those types of grades. We are linked to local colleges, like many other universities and we also have a very strong partnership with Exeter who as you probably know, won the Sunday Times University of the Year award 2013 and were runners-up in 2012. On top of that Plymouth University was also short-listed for that same award this year as well as a couple other Sunday Times awards.

I have friends all over the country right now and Plymouth certainly puts up a fight.

From my own experience, Plymouth is an above average university that offers amazing rewards to those that enjoy the southern coast, weather and culture. Although it has many broken areas, mainly left over from the crushing World Wars, it has some of the most beautiful sights and I often venture out looking for them returning to the amazing night life.

I don't think it has a very strong partnership with Exeter. Exeter is trying to break some of their remaining ties it seems. I know their joint medical school is VERY well respected - but someone told me last week it was splitting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-18911829

Exeter says it has outgrown the partnership.

I agree though that for traditional subjects Plymouth has some good departments - but it still offers some really weird and wacky degrees! ... I.e ...
BSc Cruise Ship Management!! http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/3697/Pages/CourseOverview.aspx

I mean really!!?

The entry requirements for Exeter and Plymouth are 'poles apart'! I really doubt many people would have higher than ABB at A level there. The entry requirements for most of the courses used to be BCC; although, I know they have gone up this year to BBB.

Whilst you are correct that Exeter won the Sunday Times University of the year, Plymouth celebrated being in the top 50 universities for the first time. So... its reputation is growing :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by arty
I don't think it has a very strong partnership with Exeter. Exeter is trying to break some of their remaining ties it seems. I know their joint medical school is VERY well respected - but someone told me last week it was splitting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-18911829

Exeter says it has outgrown the partnership.

I agree though that for traditional subjects Plymouth has some good departments - but it still offers some really weird and wacky degrees! ... I.e ...
BSc Cruise Ship Management!! http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/3697/Pages/CourseOverview.aspx

I mean really!!?

The entry requirements for Exeter and Plymouth are 'poles apart'! I really doubt many people would have higher than ABB at A level there. The entry requirements for most of the courses used to be BCC; although, I know they have gone up this year to BBB.

Whilst you are correct that Exeter won the Sunday Times University of the year, Plymouth celebrated being in the top 50 universities for the first time. So... its reputation is growing :smile:

That's funny cuz the new Peninsula College of Med and Dent is based in Plymouth now. You need AAA, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure about the other courses though.
Reply 8
Original post by _HabibaH_
That's funny cuz the new Peninsula College of Med and Dent is based in Plymouth now. You need AAA, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure about the other courses though.

Perhaps you should read my post properly. Obviously the exception are medicine & dentistry which is currently joint with Exeter. You should also read the article I linked in...
The school is splitting. We had a talk by them the other day...
Reply 9
Original post by arty
Perhaps you should read my post properly. Obviously the exception are medicine & dentistry which is currently joint with Exeter. You should also read the article I linked in...
The school is splitting. We had a talk by them the other day...

This isn't person, please don't make it :colondollar:

Yep they're splitting from Sept 2013 and Exeter will deal with Medicine while Plymouth will deal with both Medicine and Dentistry (adopting the name PCMD).

Are you at Exeter?
Reply 10
Original post by _HabibaH_
This isn't person, please don't make it :colondollar:

Yep they're splitting from Sept 2013 and Exeter will deal with Medicine while Plymouth will deal with both Medicine and Dentistry (adopting the name PCMD).

Are you at Exeter?

How am I making it personal!? :confused:

You just mis-read my post. I said that most of the courses they offer wanted BBB. I meant standard BA/BSc 3 year courses such as the the arts, humanities, art&design, law, languages, science etc.

I did not mean vocational courses like Medicine, Dentistry and probably things like engineering are a bit higher.
I live in Plymouth and is certainly not posh! From my experience the university seems to accept very low grades for example at my school there are people who need 3 E's and 3D's to get in. And when I went there the people I spoke to said that they went there because they didn't meet the grade requirements for their actual choices. Obviously there are courses that require alot of ucas points though so I don't know what to make of it, it's just my experience. I think the actual buildings and campus look great though.

The downside of being here is that it's so far from everything (apart from Exeter :P) 6 hours to london by coach :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending