The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Switching Subjects In First Year?

Hi everyone, so I've been accepted for Biology at St A's but my real passion is physics. I'm pretty certain that I want to take the physics on to years 3 and 4 and am just asking about how easy it is to switch? I'm on a gap yah at the moment so the offer is unconditional and I also cannot try and resit any of my school exams. The problem is I don't meet the minimum grade reqs for physics (missed A in Higher maths by a mark). Would this mean I wouldn't be able to switch to physics when I'm studying there even though I've got A Adv Higher physics?

Cheers guys
Reply 1
Original post by gcalder94
Hi everyone, so I've been accepted for Biology at St A's but my real passion is physics. I'm pretty certain that I want to take the physics on to years 3 and 4 and am just asking about how easy it is to switch? I'm on a gap yah at the moment so the offer is unconditional and I also cannot try and resit any of my school exams. The problem is I don't meet the minimum grade reqs for physics (missed A in Higher maths by a mark). Would this mean I wouldn't be able to switch to physics when I'm studying there even though I've got A Adv Higher physics?

Cheers guys

It's unlikely you'll be allowed. They can be a bit of a stickler for the grades, mostly because they want to make sure you're capable of taking the course. But there's no harm in asking, either during Advising that happens during Freshers' week, or by emailing the department now if you want a firm answer: [email protected]
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
To switch degrees needs the approval of the Dean of Science who normally asked for approval from both your director of teaching of your current school (Biology in this case) and then the director of teaching of your new school (Physics). I suspect the problem might be convincing the Director of Teaching of Physics.
Reply 3
Original post by gcalder94

Cheers guys

You might not be able to switch 'officially' in first year, but due to the three subject system at St Andrews you are likely to be able to take physics in first year, and if you do well, switch to physics in second year. I started uni doing German, and as I took the correct modules for English too switched to English. Loads of people change subjects once they're here. I met the grade requirements for English Lit overall but didn't have an A at A Level, but if you take physics as a secondary module and prove you're good at it they might let you keep it on. Just talk to your adviser and module coordinators once you're here and they'll be able to help you. Normally you can't change your main subjects officially before the end of first year, but it is possible to get permission from the pro-dean, and there's no reason, unless the class is full, that you can't take physics modules and ask to switch for second year.
Reply 4
Original post by Blaubeuren
You might not be able to switch 'officially' in first year, but due to the three subject system at St Andrews you are likely to be able to take physics in first year, and if you do well, switch to physics in second year. I started uni doing German, and as I took the correct modules for English too switched to English. Loads of people change subjects once they're here. I met the grade requirements for English Lit overall but didn't have an A at A Level, but if you take physics as a secondary module and prove you're good at it they might let you keep it on. Just talk to your adviser and module coordinators once you're here and they'll be able to help you. Normally you can't change your main subjects officially before the end of first year, but it is possible to get permission from the pro-dean, and there's no reason, unless the class is full, that you can't take physics modules and ask to switch for second year.

Read what he said above, if he doesn't have the pre-requisites for the Physics module they won't let him take it, end of.
Reply 5
Original post by Oxy
Read what he said above, if he doesn't have the pre-requisites for the Physics module they won't let him take it, end of.

I didn't meet the requirements to do an English degree either but they let me switch as I've done just as well as those who did so far.
Reply 6
Original post by Blaubeuren
I didn't meet the requirements to do an English degree either but they let me switch as I've done just as well as those who did so far.

I think they're stricter in the Sciences, I've tried to do this before (with Physics) and it was a flat no (despite having a solid maths background).

Quick Reply

Latest