The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pn94
Sturridge really helps us.

All about mentality I suppose. We need to stop letting our heads drop if we go behind/don't score early.

Gotta love him. Wish we put in a buyback clause.
Reply 2521
Just got back from the Swansea game. Looks like I made the right choice :biggrin:
Reply 2522
Our U-21's are getting injured left, right and centre. Pelosi got a broken leg today. Flanagan, Yesil and Smith out with long-term injuries as well. Unfortunate.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Great result and first win over top half opposition!
Original post by kuks
Just got back from the Swansea game. Looks like I made the right choice :biggrin:

I've just got in, we'll worth the 12 hour travel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2525
Few facts
Liverpool had more shots today in one match than any other team in the premier league
Liverpool have had the most shots this season than any other team in any of the top 5 divisions in Europe
Liverpool have scored more goals in 2013 than any other premier league team.

I think these stats show how attacking we are now and is the reason why we're so vulnerable on the counter. We'll attack attack attack then get done on the counter, then we'll attack even more trying to get the equalizer leaving us even more vulnerable and it's just a viscous cycle. This is why we've seen freak results vs Villa etc. Another reason I think is because Agger just cannot man mark! He looses his man almost every time from set pieces it's ridiculous. Versus Arsenal and WBA Agger loosing his man both led to goals and he lost his man vs the Swans but thankfully they didn't punish us. Sort these two problems out and I think we'll be alright.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2526
Very surprised they fielded that team, though we deserve a lot of credit for the way we played. Still need to convert a bit better but it was good enough. This is something we didn't really see over the past few seasons, we never used to really 'rout' teams but we are doing that when expected mostly now.
Bit of consistency and sharpness in the defence which can be worked on over summer and next season and then I can see us making good progress toward pushing toward 4th/5th spot.
I think what the game really shows is that Rodgers is able to set up the team to beat teams lower in the table, those who in the past we might have struggled against and who force draws.

The other key observation is that we seem to do really well if we score first and early. There will be occasion when we will drop points/concede after scoring early but generally we've had great results and a lot of high scoring games from our side.

Rodgers needs to work out how to stop the physical/big man up front tactics - Think Walters with Stoke, Benteke with Villa, Matt Smith with Oldham.
We need to continue our form against the bottom half of the table opposition (we play a lot of them away from home in the final third of the season)
And finally he needs to work out how to grind out wins against the top teams. We were great against Arsenal and City but didn't get points.

I'm actually optimistic for next season now, if we can continue this style of play and form as I think we can get a lot of wins against the bottom half (at least 50 points from 20 league games).

Massive shame about Borini having another big injury. This summer will be huge for him to try and get back into pre-season and get some form/fitness. I'd imagine than he can still do training and work with the ball, just not game time due to the injury?

Also..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21485187
Once again saying how much of a Liverpool fan he is and wants us to do well. His contract expires in summer 2014. I know he's 31 but with his style of play, I can see him going on till 35+ easily. We should get Alonso back and have him to rotate with Lucas in the DM spot.

So our midfield would be:
Lucas/Alonso - DM
Gerrard/Allen - CM
Suarez/Coutinho/Henderson/Shelvey - AM

Bet Alonso would take a pay-cut to come back to the club too. His return would massively boost Gerrard imo, so much bromance between them. Alonso's passing would also improve the midfield to no end, and players like Allen and Henderson could learn a thing or two from him too.
Reply 2528
That 3rd goal :dice:
Original post by Zerforax
I think what the game really shows is that Rodgers is able to set up the team to beat teams lower in the table, those who in the past we might have struggled against and who force draws.

The other key observation is that we seem to do really well if we score first and early. There will be occasion when we will drop points/concede after scoring early but generally we've had great results and a lot of high scoring games from our side.

Rodgers needs to work out how to stop the physical/big man up front tactics - Think Walters with Stoke, Benteke with Villa, Matt Smith with Oldham.
We need to continue our form against the bottom half of the table opposition (we play a lot of them away from home in the final third of the season)
And finally he needs to work out how to grind out wins against the top teams. We were great against Arsenal and City but didn't get points.

I'm actually optimistic for next season now, if we can continue this style of play and form as I think we can get a lot of wins against the bottom half (at least 50 points from 20 league games).

Massive shame about Borini having another big injury. This summer will be huge for him to try and get back into pre-season and get some form/fitness. I'd imagine than he can still do training and work with the ball, just not game time due to the injury?

Also..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21485187
Once again saying how much of a Liverpool fan he is and wants us to do well. His contract expires in summer 2014. I know he's 31 but with his style of play, I can see him going on till 35+ easily. We should get Alonso back and have him to rotate with Lucas in the DM spot.

So our midfield would be:
Lucas/Alonso - DM
Gerrard/Allen - CM
Suarez/Coutinho/Henderson/Shelvey - AM

Bet Alonso would take a pay-cut to come back to the club too. His return would massively boost Gerrard imo, so much bromance between them. Alonso's passing would also improve the midfield to no end, and players like Allen and Henderson could learn a thing or two from him too.

I think youre getting a bit ahead of yourself in regards to Alonso.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CB91

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too sure about that. Consider the age of alonso. I'd only see him go back to liverpool or to sociedad and madrid won't keep him after his contract expires if they can get modric into the team, although he might go america/australia for the money. But the first two are very likely destinations.
Original post by CB91

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea I know but one can dream :dream:

Original post by jam277
I'm not too sure about that. Consider the age of alonso. I'd only see him go back to liverpool or to sociedad and madrid won't keep him after his contract expires if they can get modric into the team, although he might go america/australia for the money. But the first two are very likely destinations.

Tbh I think most clubs have realised that players now can continue to like 35 before tailing off and not 30, like it was a decade or two ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see Madrid give Alonso an extension.
What do we need in the summer then?

I think the most important thing for this team is experience/mentality. After that, obviously replacements for Carra and Coates. In an ideal world we'd get rid of Skrtel and have a ready-made replacement but it seems a bit dodgy to go into the new season with only one settled senior CB so he'll stay for now and hopefully be sold to a Russian team for about £15mill in January.

Competition at left back for Enrique is something that some people would prefer, I can't see it happening tbh, Enrique is an incomplete player but has proved over the season that he fits our system well. He's an absolute beast and when Henderson or Coutinho cut in off that left flank he's proved capable of covering the whole flank. He's becoming better on the ball and with his right foot. Needs to become better defensively but will happen in time.

Ince is a luxury buy that might happen, we could just stick with Sterling (hope he gets his early season mentality back) and rotated him with Downing and Coutinho on the wings.

Then we got centre mid, at various times we've proved incapable of holding the game together there, so I suggest a Diame type player. Equally good would be Lucas returning to his past form but that'll take time.

Carlton Cole for West Ham as well. I think what's required is a strongman in midfield and a Kyrgiakos type defender. Guys like Lukaku, Adebayour and Benteke are gonna trouble even the best of defenders, but a Kyrgiakos would take care of Matt Smith, Walters, Kenwyne Jones, Peter Crouch etc. Just as a fourth CB. Coates is incapable of that role.
Original post by Straight up G
What do we need in the summer then?

I think the most important thing for this team is experience/mentality. After that, obviously replacements for Carra and Coates. In an ideal world we'd get rid of Skrtel and have a ready-made replacement but it seems a bit dodgy to go into the new season with only one settled senior CB so he'll stay for now and hopefully be sold to a Russian team for about £15mill in January.

Competition at left back for Enrique is something that some people would prefer, I can't see it happening tbh, Enrique is an incomplete player but has proved over the season that he fits our system well. He's an absolute beast and when Henderson or Coutinho cut in off that left flank he's proved capable of covering the whole flank. He's becoming better on the ball and with his right foot. Needs to become better defensively but will happen in time.

Ince is a luxury buy that might happen, we could just stick with Sterling (hope he gets his early season mentality back) and rotated him with Downing and Coutinho on the wings.

Then we got centre mid, at various times we've proved incapable of holding the game together there, so I suggest a Diame type player. Equally good would be Lucas returning to his past form but that'll take time.

Carlton Cole for West Ham as well. I think what's required is a strongman in midfield and a Kyrgiakos type defender. Guys like Lukaku, Adebayour and Benteke are gonna trouble even the best of defenders, but a Kyrgiakos would take care of Matt Smith, Walters, Kenwyne Jones, Peter Crouch etc. Just as a fourth CB. Coates is incapable of that role.

A large part of it will be determined by how we finish off the season - 11 league games is still a long way to go.

We need to replace Carragher and we need a 2nd LB. Too often this season, we've had to move Johnson to cover. Other than that, I'm still open to seeing how we finish the season and working out where we're deficient. I don't think it's that obvious at the moment, we're just inconsistent.
A large part of it will be determined by how we finish off the season - 11 league games is still a long way to go.

We need to replace Carragher and we need a 2nd LB. Too often this season, we've had to move Johnson to cover. Other than that, I'm still open to seeing how we finish the season and working out where we're deficient. I don't think it's that obvious at the moment, we're just inconsistent.

I agree that the defence definitely needs strengthening. Considering the form of both Agger and Skrtel, I'm tempted to go as far as saying we need two new centre-backs but I feel that might be a bit naive from me, considering for a long time I felt Agger was one of the best CB's in the world, and Skrtel was rock-solid last season. I hope they can both come through this bad patch in which case one new CB will do, and if Coates is sold then we have wisdom/kelly as cover too.

I would also say we could do with another winger. Downing has improved of late but I don't feel he will ever be of the standard we hope for, and the likes of Sterling and suso are young and don't perform consistently enough to catapult us into the top four. Also Suso and Coutinho aren't really wingers at all and would be better off playing through the middle.

Then again, if we get a new left-back, Enrique could play as a left winger.. I've liked him when he's played there as he has an eagerness to get into the box and get on the end of moves
Original post by CameronHayward
I agree that the defence definitely needs strengthening. Considering the form of both Agger and Skrtel, I'm tempted to go as far as saying we need two new centre-backs but I feel that might be a bit naive from me, considering for a long time I felt Agger was one of the best CB's in the world, and Skrtel was rock-solid last season. I hope they can both come through this bad patch in which case one new CB will do, and if Coates is sold then we have wisdom/kelly as cover too.

I would also say we could do with another winger. Downing has improved of late but I don't feel he will ever be of the standard we hope for, and the likes of Sterling and suso are young and don't perform consistently enough to catapult us into the top four. Also Suso and Coutinho aren't really wingers at all and would be better off playing through the middle.

Then again, if we get a new left-back, Enrique could play as a left winger.. I've liked him when he's played there as he has an eagerness to get into the box and get on the end of moves

If Coates does get moved on/loaned, then we will need a 4th CB. I don't see Kelly or Wisdom being ready to step in any time soon. Kelly has been out for almost a season and Wisdom only just got into the side. Phil Jones does well for Utd and yet SAF does not use him regularly at CB nor relies on him (he's like 5th choice?). Same should apply to Wisdom for a few more years.

We either need a back up to Enrique or we need someone to compete/make Enrique back up. The point is, that we should have 2 LBs in case on gets injured. We don't need to move anyone to another position - just ridiculous that we rely on moving Johnson to LB or Downing to LB when all we need to do is buy a LB. Can't think of one other club who only has one fullback for a flank.

Well we've got loads of attacking players now - need to determine who will or won't work - eg we have Assaidi but he doesnt play, we either need to use him or sell him and replace with someone with more quality. We've got plenty of numbers now..
Get Benedikt Howedes from Schalke. His contract is up in a year and he will not cost a bomb yet has plenty of experience.
Original post by Malevolent
Get Benedikt Howedes from Schalke. His contract is up in a year and he will not cost a bomb yet has plenty of experience.

That's actually a great shout.

His contract is till summer 2014, Schalke are down to 8th in the league so probably no CL football next year. He might want CL football elsewhere but we can offer the project/prospect of CL football + a nice pay packet.

He's captain at Schalke at 24 (turns 25 in a couple of weeks) so should be an influential character.

I'd be happy regularly rotating Agger/Skrtel/3rd CB..
That's actually a great shout.

His contract is till summer 2014, Schalke are down to 8th in the league so probably no CL football next year. He might want CL football elsewhere but we can offer the project/prospect of CL football + a nice pay packet.

He's captain at Schalke at 24 (turns 25 in a couple of weeks) so should be an influential character.

I'd be happy regularly rotating Agger/Skrtel/3rd CB..

Exactly I'm lost for words why no one has snapped him up earlier. The dude can put in a good shift as a RB and when Germany tried to go 3 man back line he was the best out of Hummels and Badstuber.

Personally I'd say your problems is down to a new team, new philosophy and lack of depth in one or two areas(LB and CB mainly, possibly one more winger if downing and sterling aren't up to the job). A lot of it(similar to that of the arsenal team a few years back) can be solved by just keeping the players and adding one or two players for squad depth or getting that major signing to one man team it(like you did with suarez). Think you're a fairly underwhelming team(in comparison to tottenham and arsenal) but you have good players in the first 11 capable of filling a good role for most top clubs and get regular game time there.

Too bad the rest of the footballing world fails to realise this though.

Latest