The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Calling all Warwick students :D help with accommodation!

Plain and simple, which halls are the best and why? I've read tons and tons of mini reviews but I want to hear first hand, in 2013, which are best.

oh and since there isn't much info on it, how is Sherbourne???

thanks a million guys!
Reply 1
I'm guessing you're referring to the reviews on the first page of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591 ?

I've been inside Sherbourne myself a few times at the start of term, and I'd say the review on there is a fair reflection of it - very nice, modern, colourful buildings but a bit far away from everything. What factors are most important to you when choosing accommodation?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by racheedav
Plain and simple, which halls are the best and why? I've read tons and tons of mini reviews but I want to hear first hand, in 2013, which are best.

oh and since there isn't much info on it, how is Sherbourne???

thanks a million guys!

I live in Westwood, girlfriend lives in Cryfield so I'm there quite a bit too, been in Rootes and Whitefields at times, so I can answer any questions you have on them.. :smile:
Reply 3
which halls is closest to the business school?
Reply 4
Original post by pbl
which halls is closest to the business school?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/campusmap2012large.jpg

Probably best to look at them on a map. The main WBS buildings are 68, 69 and 70 around squares C4 and D4. However, depending on the exact course you're doing, you'll probably have lectures and seminars as well. These could be in a variety of locations, but most rooms for these are in a building along library road.

Bearing that in mind, the distance to each of the halls is pretty similar. Accommodation blocks are light blue on the map. Although there would be some difference between them, they're so close anyway that the difference would only be by a few minutes.
Reply 5
I'm interested too :smile:
En suite is my main factor. But I kinda wanna live in a more modern accommodation like Sherborne, but could you tell me about the others please? :biggrin:
Original post by TheIrrational
I live in Westwood, girlfriend lives in Cryfield so I'm there quite a bit too, been in Rootes and Whitefields at times, so I can answer any questions you have on them.. :smile:

Can you give me your opinion on Whitefields and Cryfield. Thanks :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Nia_Beth
I'm interested too :smile:
En suite is my main factor. But I kinda wanna live in a more modern accommodation like Sherborne, but could you tell me about the others please? :biggrin:

Bluebell is the other really modern accommodation (the 2nd newest halls) but all of the ensuite places tend to have a very high quality of facilities (with a price to match though). The reviews at the start of the Warwick Accommodation thread generally give a very good idea of what the places will be like, although you'd probably find that everyone is biased towards their own accommodation because they liked it so much.

In terms of what could have changed since those reviews were written, the postroom is now in Westwood only and not by Rootes so bear that in mind for any references to that. Also, I think they've changed how the doors in Bluebell lock (can't remember exactly but it's a bit easier to get around) in response to some complaints. Westwood was refurbished in the summer of 2010 and also some shortcuts from there to campus were created in that year.

It's worth looking at the non-ensuite halls as well. There have been many people who put ensuite as their first choice but managed fine without one. The bathrooms are cleaned for you very frequently (every day or every other day apart from weekends as appropriate) so they're still good quality places to live.

I was in Westwood myself so can answer any questions about that, although it's definitely worth looking at the reviews as they cover a lot about it.
Reply 8
Original post by ttoby
Bluebell is the other really modern accommodation (the 2nd newest halls) but all of the ensuite places tend to have a very high quality of facilities (with a price to match though). The reviews at the start of the Warwick Accommodation thread generally give a very good idea of what the places will be like, although you'd probably find that everyone is biased towards their own accommodation because they liked it so much.

In terms of what could have changed since those reviews were written, the postroom is now in Westwood only and not by Rootes so bear that in mind for any references to that. Also, I think they've changed how the doors in Bluebell lock (can't remember exactly but it's a bit easier to get around) in response to some complaints. Westwood was refurbished in the summer of 2010 and also some shortcuts from there to campus were created in that year.

It's worth looking at the non-ensuite halls as well. There have been many people who put ensuite as their first choice but managed fine without one. The bathrooms are cleaned for you very frequently (every day or every other day apart from weekends as appropriate) so they're still good quality places to live.

I was in Westwood myself so can answer any questions about that, although it's definitely worth looking at the reviews as they cover a lot about it.

Aw. Thank you so much :smile: that was really informative :biggrin:. I'm going to look at the other thread and look at pictures of Westwood - I don't think I checked that one out :smile:
Reply 9
cheers ttoby for your help

whats the best for postgraduate students? i know some do postgraduate/final years etc. anyone have any experience of this?
Reply 10
Original post by pbl
cheers ttoby for your help

whats the best for postgraduate students? i know some do postgraduate/final years etc. anyone have any experience of this?

There's a different selection of halls available depending on which of those situations you're in. What's the actual course you're doing and year group?
Reply 11
Original post by ttoby
There's a different selection of halls available depending on which of those situations you're in. What's the actual course you're doing and year group?

Im a home/EU student, got a place on the msc finance and economics course. Hence why i wanted something close to the business school, and the economics dept I guess. It's 50 weeks.

ive seen there are a variety of options, e.g. Final year undergrads/postgrads, freshers/postgrads or just pure postgrads. Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this, as I wonder what the dynamics are like in the mixed halls. I.e what do the undergrads think of the postgrads and is it quite segmented?
Reply 12
Original post by pbl
Im a home/EU student, got a place on the msc finance and economics course. Hence why i wanted something close to the business school, and the economics dept I guess. It's 50 weeks.

ive seen there are a variety of options, e.g. Final year undergrads/postgrads, freshers/postgrads or just pure postgrads. Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this, as I wonder what the dynamics are like in the mixed halls. I.e what do the undergrads think of the postgrads and is it quite segmented?

You would be classed as a postgrad, and would live separately from undergraduates. Going by last year, you may not be guaranteed a place on campus.

In the halls where there are more than one category of students, each category would be in a separate area. If you do want to live with undergraduates then you would need to do this off campus.

As for what the undergraduates think of postgraduates, I'd imagine the general perception is that they would be much quieter.

Have a look at this page for more details: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/general/
Original post by brittanna
Can you give me your opinion on Whitefields and Cryfield. Thanks :smile:.

I really love Cryfield, it's very cheap and the people there are great, the common room is very big and there aren't that many people to a kitchen, so it's nice and practical.

The blocks are very big, so there's always people around, at least my girlfriends block is very social.

The downside is that the rooms are small, her Cryfield room is probably half the size of my Westwood one. The walls are thin, seriously thin! You can hear everything in the next room like there's no wall at all :P

You also have to move everything out of your room at the end of every term in cryfield, which I hear is a hell of pain.

Whitefields I don't know as much about as I've only been in there a few times. It's a completely different layout, so it's flats rather than corridors, which means if you end up with people you don't like it's harder to get away with them, this shouldn't usually be a problem though.

The common room in there is nice and the kitchen seemed pretty good. The bedrooms again are tiny!

It is however incredibly close to the SU which is brilliant for going out, but apparently you can hear the SU on some nights, but I've never heard it when I've been there, I was probably there on quiet nights.

I would recommend Cryfield if you're looking for a cheap non ensuit accommodation, if I was put there over Westwood I would not have been any less happy.

Whitefields I personally wouldn't want to live in, I don't like the flats layout. Other than that it's fine I guess :P
Original post by Nia_Beth
Aw. Thank you so much :smile: that was really informative :biggrin:. I'm going to look at the other thread and look at pictures of Westwood - I don't think I checked that one out :smile:

Just as an update on Westwood, I don't know whether they have updated the website yet, I haven't looked, but I have heard that they are getting rid of 2 rooms on each floor in each block in Westwood and adding another kitchen!

So it will be 12 to a kitchen now rather than 26!

I heard this from when the cleaner was stood out my room complaining about having to do twice the work next year and how unfair it is that they're adding more kitchens :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Anybody know anything about Jack Martin or Arthur Vick?
Reply 16
Original post by SiobhanEloise
Anybody know anything about Jack Martin or Arthur Vick?

There's information in posts 3 and 4 of this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591 Did you have any particular questions?
Original post by ttoby
There's information in posts 3 and 4 of this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591 Did you have any particular questions?

Thanks! I shall have a look! Well I was just wondering what they are like compared to some of the other accommodation because I heard that Arthur Vick was a bit of a quieter choice? Also is there particular halls where there are lots of international students (I'm not an international student though)?
Original post by SiobhanEloise
Thanks! I shall have a look! Well I was just wondering what they are like compared to some of the other accommodation because I heard that Arthur Vick was a bit of a quieter choice? Also is there particular halls where there are lots of international students (I'm not an international student though)?

Bluebell.

Sherbourne maybe, not sure about that though.
Which one's the party hall?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending