The Student Room Group

Anyone else get rejected for vet med from all unis?

Basically, I've been rejected from all four of my unis. This includes Edinburgh, Nottingham, Liverpool and RVC. Was just wondering who else has too, and if there are any reapplicants out there that wouldn't mind sharing how they got in the second time round? I feel pretty crappy at the minute, and although I've had teachers persuading me to apply this year through UCAS extra, there really is no other course for me, so I'm in real need of advice. :frown:
Original post by Pie1213
Basically, I've been rejected from all four of my unis. This includes Edinburgh, Nottingham, Liverpool and RVC. Was just wondering who else has too, and if there are any reapplicants out there that wouldn't mind sharing how they got in the second time round? I feel pretty crappy at the minute, and although I've had teachers persuading me to apply this year through UCAS extra, there really is no other course for me, so I'm in real need of advice. :frown:

Really sorry you got rejected. Sadly a lot of people end up in this scenario as there are just too few places for everyone. There is a really useful guide answering your questions here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2229275

If your heart is set on vet med, use this experience of a gap year to really boost your application and reapply the following year. Plenty of us had to do this and got in 2nd time round. Going to study vet med as a graduate is NOT easy, guaranteed and very, very expensive as you will not be funded for a second degree for tuition fee loans (full fees are around £20k+/year), so your best option is to reapply.
Have you tried clearing or anything?
I got rejected from my most desired uni (Reading) and the head of UCAS in my school said I could either go through clearing (which will mean dropping everything else I have been offered) or going through adjustment if you exceed your target grades and you may find something.

I don't know if this also applies to med courses but it may be an option.

Sorry to hear about your, well, problem. :frown:

If worst comes to worst, try and gain some experience in a veterinary clinic and then reapply. :smile:
Reply 3
There's no clearing for veterinary medicine, which means it's either I get in first time or I reapply, so in my case it looks like I'm going to have to reapply. I was thinking the same, if I get my grades on results day, I don't know if that still means a university could still accept me, or whether that's too late, I'll have to look into that :smile: Thank you for you help!
I've been rejected by all four too, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Notts :frown: Didn't get any interviews so I feel pretty crappy too... I think my main problem was my AS grades, they weren't great and I really regret applying to Cambridge...

I've had an offer for Zoology at another uni so if I don't get 3As this summer I'll go and do that because the course actually looks amazing, but if I do get good enough grades for vetmed I'll take a gap year and just do loooaaddss of work exp :smile: I'm looking forward to the idea of taking a gap year though, it'd be good to do things I haven't had time for at the moment and I've heard from other reapplicants that its really enjoyable :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Just out of interest, those who got rejected by all, how much work experience did you have?
Hey I am a re app this year an was rejected by all 4 unis last year so I no how it feels :frown: the best thing to do is if vet med is it dream an ur gunna take a gap year and reapply is ask for feedback and use that to strengthen ur application get it grades and do some more work experience and also do something you have always wanted to do but have not had the time to do it might as well make the most of it gap year :tongue: I hope this helps and good luck in whatever you choose to do an if you have anymore questions feel free to pm me :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by ellehamilton
I've been rejected by all four too, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Notts :frown: Didn't get any interviews so I feel pretty crappy too... I think my main problem was my AS grades, they weren't great and I really regret applying to Cambridge...

I've had an offer for Zoology at another uni so if I don't get 3As this summer I'll go and do that because the course actually looks amazing, but if I do get good enough grades for vetmed I'll take a gap year and just do loooaaddss of work exp :smile: I'm looking forward to the idea of taking a gap year though, it'd be good to do things I haven't had time for at the moment and I've heard from other reapplicants that its really enjoyable :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you! Your action plan sounds like a good idea if I'm honest, and although I don't like the idea of not getting into vet med next year, zoology could well be the next best thing! :biggrin: I know where you're coming from, a gap year does sound awesome, especially given the fact it'll give us so much time to fit in LOADS of work exp, making us potentially very strong candidates next year (hopefully)! Good luck to you, and I really do hope you make it! :smile:
Reply 8
Hey, I've been rejected from all 4 too (Cambridge, RVC, Liverpool, Nottingham) without any interviews :frown:
Yes it's very frustrating/depressing but if it's something you are determined to do then look on the bright side - you have a WHOLE year to do more work experience, which is awesome! And whatever else you want to do - travelling/working etc!
I've had some time to get over the disappointment and now I'm just enjoying booking all my work ex placements for summer and planning everything to make my application as strong as possible.

Quite a few people have said to me that something like 70% of applicants get in 2nd time round, so don't put yourself down, quite a few people have been in the same situation as us.

I say good luck to us re-apps for next year, and let's make this year worth it, I'm sure you'll soon come round to thinking that it's for the best!!! (Just try to forget about the fact you may be living with your parents for another year :eek: :angry: )
Reply 9
Original post by Gdavies35
Hey, I've been rejected from all 4 too (Cambridge, RVC, Liverpool, Nottingham) without any interviews :frown:
Yes it's very frustrating/depressing but if it's something you are determined to do then look on the bright side - you have a WHOLE year to do more work experience, which is awesome! And whatever else you want to do - travelling/working etc!
I've had some time to get over the disappointment and now I'm just enjoying booking all my work ex placements for summer and planning everything to make my application as strong as possible.

Quite a few people have said to me that something like 70% of applicants get in 2nd time round, so don't put yourself down, quite a few people have been in the same situation as us.

I say good luck to us re-apps for next year, and let's make this year worth it, I'm sure you'll soon come round to thinking that it's for the best!!! (Just try to forget about the fact you may be living with your parents for another year :eek: :angry: )

Wow it's great to see someone looking at it in such a positive light! This has really made me think that actually, maybe a gap year could prove more beneficial to me than actually getting in the first time round! I really do wish you all the best for your gap year, and in your application this year. Just out of interest, what do you plan on doing with your year off? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Pie1213
Wow it's great to see someone looking at it in such a positive light! This has really made me think that actually, maybe a gap year could prove more beneficial to me than actually getting in the first time round! I really do wish you all the best for your gap year, and in your application this year. Just out of interest, what do you plan on doing with your year off? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dot think there's really another way to look at it, no point staying upset cause then I'll just end up wasting the whole year being sad :P

well I've got work ex booked July-December and then planning on getting a non-animal related job and doing some lambing/other farm work/kennels/stables work as well like part time cause I enjoy it so might as well get some money for it :biggrin:

I really really want to go to south Africa for a couple weeks to work with a safari vet but it's sooooo expensive so will have to see how much money I save up over the year :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Gdavies35
I dot think there's really another way to look at it, no point staying upset cause then I'll just end up wasting the whole year being sad :P

well I've got work ex booked July-December and then planning on getting a non-animal related job and doing some lambing/other farm work/kennels/stables work as well like part time cause I enjoy it so might as well get some money for it :biggrin:

I really really want to go to south Africa for a couple weeks to work with a safari vet but it's sooooo expensive so will have to see how much money I save up over the year :smile:

You totally have the right mindset! We may as well enjoy our year, and you never know next year may be it for us! :biggrin: That's basically what I plan on doing, although I really have my heart set on going to Africa to do some conservation for a month, but the prices are EXTORTIONATE! :eek: Ahh well, even if I don't I'm going to make sure that I have as much work experience as I could possibly get! I want to make my application the strongest it possibly can be!
A friend of mine was rejected twice! In her first time round she didn't get any interviews and in the second time round (where I think she applied at Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh and RVC) she had interviews but all offers. However, she did A LOT of work experience on her two gap years and managed to get 3 offers (RVC, Nottingham and Bristol) and she'll be going to RVC in September. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by LittleMissDramaQueen
A friend of mine was rejected twice! In her first time round she didn't get any interviews and in the second time round (where I think she applied at Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh and RVC) she had interviews but all offers. However, she did A LOT of work experience on her two gap years and managed to get 3 offers (RVC, Nottingham and Bristol) and she'll be going to RVC in September. :smile:

Wow that must have been reallu hard, but you know what fairplay to her for keeping her head held high and not giving up, even after two applications! Good on her!! :biggrin: Thank you for sharing, this kind of gives me hope! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Just wanted to say I know how you feel as I was rejected to my local school (Canada) more than once but then got in here.

I agree with the suggestions of maximizing your gap year. I have heard teachers at the Dick Vet and private vets talk about how a gap year can really strengthen someone's application, both in terms of work experience and also life experience and maturity. What you make of the year shows a lot about you.

Also, I did one of the safari courses in South Africa and it was AMAZING! I have been told that if you do your research, and go in the "off season", it can be possible to go for MUCH cheaper (aka couple thousand all told). I myself haven't found this, but have talked to people that have. Just throwing that out there. :smile:

GOOD LUCK!
Hey, I'm not a Vet Med applicant, but I saw this thread a couple of days ago and thought you might like to see it:smile::
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2268367

Sorry about your situation:frown:, but as you say, chin up, and turn it into a great opportunity! :^_^:

EDIT: oh crud, I see you already replied in that thread, really sorry, didn't realise that at first! :colondollar::ashamed2: In any case, good luck with your gap year plans!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Mathaddict
Hey, I'm not a Vet Med applicant, but I saw this thread a couple of days ago and thought you might like to see it:smile::
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2268367

Sorry about your situation:frown:, but as you say, chin up, and turn it into a great opportunity! :^_^:

EDIT: oh crud, I see you already replied in that thread, really sorry, didn't realise that at first! :colondollar::ashamed2: In any case, good luck with your gap year plans!

Haha don't worry it made me smile! Any help is appreciated so thank you so so much! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Tarnia
Just wanted to say I know how you feel as I was rejected to my local school (Canada) more than once but then got in here.

I agree with the suggestions of maximizing your gap year. I have heard teachers at the Dick Vet and private vets talk about how a gap year can really strengthen someone's application, both in terms of work experience and also life experience and maturity. What you make of the year shows a lot about you.

Also, I did one of the safari courses in South Africa and it was AMAZING! I have been told that if you do your research, and go in the "off season", it can be possible to go for MUCH cheaper (aka couple thousand all told). I myself haven't found this, but have talked to people that have. Just throwing that out there. :smile:

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you! I plan on doing the same, I really want to go abroad and do some conservation or something but it's all price dependent. Either way, I'll make the most of my year, whether it be work experience and exam resits, or travelling, I'm determined that next year will be my year! Thank you for your reply, it makes me feel a lot better when I hear things from different people's perspectives, not just those close to me as often I feel they only say what i want to hear! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending