The Student Room Group

Is University of Glasgow a good choice?

Hi,
I´m currently studying economics at the university outside the UK for one year and have applied to several UK universities, but received only one offer- from University of Glasgow.

Currently, I have only two years left until I graduate, so studying there would mean 2 years extra. I would like to do phd in the USA or one of the top five UK unis, so my question is: is it worth it?

What is economics at Glasgow like? Although it is ranked at 5th place for economics by Guardian, in the other tables it is not in the top ten and I fear that graduating there would limit my chances of accepting to better unis. On the other hand it is a member of Russel Group.
I am not from UK so I don´t know much about UK universities and their reputation. Can you please help me? Is it a good uni or just an average one in this field? Does it have a good reputation and teaching quality? What are the chances of getting to top unis after finishing undergraduate studies there?

Thank you very much for your help. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jarry
Hi,
I´m currently studying economics at the university outside the UK for one year and have applied to several UK universities, but received only one offer- from University of Glasgow.

Currently, I have only two years left until I graduate, so studying there would mean 2 years extra. I would like to do phd in the USA or one of the top five UK unis, so my question is: is it worth it?

What is economics at Glasgow like? Although it is ranked at 5th place for economics by Guardian, in the other tables it is not in the top ten and I fear that graduating there would limit my chances of accepting to better unis. On the other hand it is a member of Russel Group.
I am not from UK so I don´t know much about UK universities and their reputation. Can you please help me? Is it a good uni or just an average one in this field? Does it have a good reputation and teaching quality? What are the chances of getting to top unis after finishing undergraduate studies there?

Thank you very much for your help. :smile:

Hello!
I am postgraduate student at the Glasgow University, Department of Economics.

Our business school accepts everybody who just has got IELTS 6.5. and deadline is the end of July.
Professors in Economics Department are not local professors, many of them are international. I think it is the worst business school in the world. There are 100-150 students in one group at the lecture. Mostly Chinesse students 99% at the Business school. They just need a diploma from this university. So nobody asks professor to explain better, so they just give them the stupid not understandable material.
I met some students who graduated from this university last year - they are still unemplyed. Because many company know that this business school provides very weak knowledge.
They most interesting thing is professors office hours. If you go ask some question during his office hours - he will not be happy))) or he will look at his watch every 5 minutes and than you will decide not to ask him questions. You can email them, but some of them just ignore your emails. I started to hate the Greek professors, they explain very bad and their english are very poor.

So, if you would like to waste your time in chineese environment with greek professors who don't speak english, then welcome to Glasgow University Business School))

It is better to take GMAT and go to the USA for masters.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply, altohu it disppointed me a little bit :smile: I thought that glasgow uni is a good one, but it seems that I was wrong. Did you also take undergraduate course there?
Reply 3
A few weeks ago I was speaking to someone doing an undergraduate degree in economics at Glasgow. He said that graduating with a degree in economics from Glasgow would be "very rewarding", but that there wasn't much structure to the degree course and that he did a lot of independant learning as there wasn't really much interaction between the tutors and students.
Reply 4
Thank you for your answer. and what about the reputation of this deparment? is it possible to get to better unis after graduating or get a good job? (not only in Glasgow or Scotland)
Reply 5
Original post by jarry
Thank you very much for your reply, altohu it disppointed me a little bit :smile: I thought that glasgow uni is a good one, but it seems that I was wrong. Did you also take undergraduate course there?

Fortunately I am doing just one year postrgraduate programme...my friend is doing her undergraduate course...she is not happy with this business school. Mate, it is not best choice to go here to study...these ranking on the university web-site are bull****...no good professors...I have met guys from MBA - they are so unhappy that they paid a lot of money for this bull****. It is better to pay more and go to study at the good university. The professors couldn't construct good structure for their courses. It seems they are here just to get their salary and that's all.
Reply 6
Well, what I like about it is the possibility to do some research at honours level and also number of the scoieties and other things to do for students (which are necessary if I want to get to good uni) and the fact that they help you to find internships for summer (at least according to their website). Are at least this things true? Maybe I will go there for one year to improve my english and return back. Now i regret that I haven´t chose another university when aplying :biggrin: It seems that it was a mistake..
going to glasgow won't improve your english. it may even hinder it.
Reply 8
Cmon
Is Glasgow that bad ?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Is University of Glasgow Business School really that a bad uni?

I mean, it is quite high ranked in the Guardian and times.
Reply 10
I highly doubt its that bad having visited the uni myself.

I'm a Strathclyde girl so I have to pretend to dislike it out of principle. However I do have a few friends in the economics and accountancy departments at Glasgow and they don't say anything awful about it.
Reply 12
Yes uni of Glasgow is the best choice!
I'm a postgraduate
So seems like you all guys graduated from Cambridge and couldn't aadapt to Glasgow !!!

Reply 13
Thats a pity that I have discovered this thread so late...

I have had "a pleasure" of ending up in Glasgow Uni at Real Estate Msc (Department of Social and Political Sciences) the quality of which was below any standards.

First of all, horrendous room facilities in Uni. Outdated theatre halls, classrooms without tables there students had to write on their laps.

Secondly, non interested and disorganized teaching and uni staff. The quality of materials was very questionable, very basic stuff provided on lections, poor presentations and had no relevance or usage for real life. To back up my words, for one of the core subjects which was called Changing cities and neighborhoods the lecturer put us in obligatory reading the chapter from the book there one researcher have studied the neighborhood and its history from local visitors of one pub which I would rather classify as reading for enterntainment, but not something which should be meant for postgrad degree. The other article was about some studies which researched the influence of amount of gay people in cities to determine the status of attractive city. Again, article with no meaning and zero knowledge delivered. Overall, very poor quality of suggested reading materials, outdated videos. Basically, if you have ever WORKED in an area of your choice and you are not coming fresh directly from undergraduate degree, it is a shocking experience.

On top of this, very few lectures, presentations and hand outs with many mistakes and basically, there was nothing good about this university, apart library. AVOID at all costs. And ignore universities rankings - they are full of non-sense.
I study undergrad Economics at Glasgow (now in my 4th year) and I love it! It is a Russel Group University with a good reputation and I have had no problem getting an internship in the City, London last summer and a good grad position there before I have even finished my degree! Studying at Glasgow has never held me back!

Perhaps other unis offer better teaching and more facilities (I have no real way of knowing) but university requires a lot of self study anyway. Plus the city is great, the campus is beautiful and the unions are great fun! There probably are universities that are more academically rigorous and have better staff but at the end of the day it's what you make of it! I don't know anything about post grad degrees here but don't let a disgruntled post grad put you off coming here to do your undergrad!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Glasgowstudent14
I study undergrad Economics at Glasgow (now in my 4th year) and I love it! It is a Russel Group University with a good reputation and I have had no problem getting an internship in the City, London last summer and a good grad position there before I have even finished my degree! Studying at Glasgow has never held me back!

Perhaps other unis offer better teaching and more facilities (I have no real way of knowing) but university requires a lot of self study anyway. Plus the city is great, the campus is beautiful and the unions are great fun! There probably are universities that are more academically rigorous and have better staff but at the end of the day it's what you make of it! I don't know anything about post grad degrees here but don't let a disgruntled post grad put you off coming here to do your undergrad!

I got accepted at glasgow university for the course of accounting and finance commencing in September 2014. Any positive or negative reviews about the course? Thank you in advance
Hello.

I have currently applied for University of Glasgow to study Economics, is what has been stated here still remain true? or should i choose Sheffield over this.

Thanks.
Bump, is this still the same situation?
I would say that those seems to be MSc courses mostly.
Only heard nice things from people at Glasgow Uni at undergraduate level. I don't go there, but have met a few people at Glasgow Economic Forum (which their Econ Soc started up last year).
Reply 19
I don't think this is particularly unique to Glasgow. Lots of the big Russell Group universities (Manchester, Edinburgh, etc) are taking on hundreds and thousands of MSc students to new programmes, and cramming them in wherever they can fit them. Lectures of 5-600 people are not uncommon. Hiring staff on short-term contracts to teach them, and assigning one secretary to several hundred students to support the new masters course. I've heard of this just about *everywhere*, and it seems to be especially common now in the large and highly ranked places. You might find a particular MSc/MBA is better somewhere and worse somewhere else, but I don't think this is anything that's damaging Glasgow *particularly* over anywhere else. An MSc from there in the grand scheme of things is going to be fairly useful and desirable if the student applies themselves and is sensible about marketing their CV well after graduation. I work in a business school (of sorts) and I know plenty of people in broadly the same situation, and on the whole most got PhD offers or job offers from desirable places if they were smart about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending