The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Joining at age 19

Hi, I've been reading that a lot of Scottish students start college at 17, and since I had an extra year in high school, I won't be starting college till I'm 19.

Will this make me older than most people starting their undergrad at St Andrews? I don't want to stand out on account of my age. Silly perhaps, but just wondering :yes:
Reply 1
Original post by reallyidk
Hi, I've been reading that a lot of Scottish students start college at 17, and since I had an extra year in high school, I won't be starting college till I'm 19.

Will this make me older than most people starting their undergrad at St Andrews? I don't want to stand out on account of my age. Silly perhaps, but just wondering :yes:

My son will be 19 when he starts in Spetember. Plenty students not starting straight from school as well.

Doubt you'll stand out much.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I wasn't at St Andrews but I started uni at 23 alongside a 22 y/o, a 26 y/o and a 65 y/o, mature students are more common than you think. Though you won't be one, 19 won't make you 'stand out', unless you're like me and were born an old fart! :smile:

I'm actually thinking about applying to Edinburgh and I'll be nearly 27 by the time I get there so really don't worry about being 19! :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by reallyidk

In first year the age range is generally 17-20, so I wouldn't worry! Some people take gap years, some people stayed back a year at school, some schools just have a later leaving age, there'll be plenty of people your age, but you'll also be very likely to get on with those younger or older than you too. One of my good friends was only 16 in first year, and some of my other friends are 23 and 24 (I'm 19) so age really isn't an issue. After high school it becomes less weird to hang out with people who are much older/younger than you.
Reply 4
I was 19 when I went, I had no problems at all.
Reply 5
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. I've gone back to do A levels aged 24 and, while I do get some good-natured teasing about my age, I don't feel out of place. My old boss has started university this September just gone and he just turned 40! And he's loving it. I'd be very surprised if you stand out :smile:
Reply 6
The majority of Scottish students are 18 or close to turning 18. I'll be 19 in August and I'm going to St Andrews! A lot of students take gap years etc so you won't stick out at all!
Reply 7
I'll join when I'm 20. :tongue:
Reply 8
Sucks to be 17 when you go to uni.
Not really, when i joined most people were 18, almost 19 anyway....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending