The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Internet gaming at St Andrews

Hi.

Would anyone be able to give me some info on how the online gaming is at St Andrews? I'm not particularly interested in the steam client's availability, which I hear is completely blocked. However I would be very interested in knowing if games like dota/starcraft/lol/tribes:ascend/firefall can be played.

If there is absolutely no work around for online gaming, would VPN work as a last resort?

Thanks.
Athelian.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jesus christ, they block internet gaming?

Are we just talking about their facilities w ithin the campus, or somehow, magically, in the area and apartments outside it too? O_O
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by JediArron
Jesus christ, they block internet gaming?

Are we just talking about their facilities w ithin the campus, or somehow, magically, in the area and apartments outside it too? O_O

Well I guess they couldn't possibly alter your internet access if you weren't even on campus (i.e. uni accommodation). As to whether or not the firewalls only effect the computers actually owned by the IT department, or on any computer using the university's line is another question; I hadn't considered this.

I'm worried that if I take campus accommodation, which always includes a wired uni internet line in the price, I may not be able to game at all.
Reply 3
From the St Andrews site for Resnet:

"Services not currently available on the cabled and wireless network include:

Connection to majority of external gaming servers
VOIP hardware phones (eg. Vonage)
Applications requiring a large number of open TCP or UDP ports
Video conferencing via AOL, MSN, Yahoo messenger"

It's really quite annoying.
Reply 4
Original post by Simarilli

If you look at the st andrews gaming soc facebook page I made a post there. Someone has listed a tunneling service with a couple of others testifying its compatibility. Might be worth a shot.
Reply 5
If you use a low-latency VPN, you should be fine but this will cost money.
Reply 6
plssssss tell me league of legends works. thats all i need
Reply 7
Surely, even in uni accomodation, you should be able to buy your own internet package/contract and have that instead of the provided internet? That would suck for the cost, but gaming is my main hobby. Would this work?

Wait. Are you saying you can't Skype or call via internet phone? That's ridiculous. How should an international student keep in touch with their family? Go to McDonald's and Skype from there because their WiFi actually allows that?
Reply 9
Some clarification: Skype is now in fact allowed subject to some conditions. It was previously banned due to its potential to form supernodes on high-bandwidth networks.
Reply 10
Some clarification: Skype is now in fact allowed subject to some conditions. It was previously banned due to its potential to form supernodes on high-bandwidth networks.

I know that Skype works because we have used it to talk to son. What he cannot do is download books to his Kindle! He goes to the Central bar to do that, Good excuse!
Reply 11
Original post by olddad
I know that Skype works because we have used it to talk to son. What he cannot do is download books to his Kindle! He goes to the Central bar to do that, Good excuse!

Seems strange. I have a friend who downloads to his kindle in halls, though he might transfer them through his laptop.
Reply 12
Is there any possible way to circumvent the restrictions in halls to play League of Legends/Steam/PSN, etc?
Reply 13
I'm guessing a VPN is goni be pretty essential living in halls. Gaming aside, what about torrents and ****? VPNs are what 5 / 10 a month? Worth ever penny I bet.
Reply 14
What is a VPN, how easy are they to get, etc? 5/10 a month doesn't sound too bad at all.
Reply 15
Easiest way I know of is to use an application like PrivateTunnel, which is extremely straightforward.

It charges based on data transfer, so if you only use it to play games it can work out as very cheap. 100GB (20 USD) lasted me for my first semester without me bothering to turn it off for any downloads or anything. Note that you can start Steam downloads while the VPN is activated then turn it off and the download will continue, at least for a few gigabyte worth at a time.

If you're going to be torrenting/doing heavy downloading it might be worth looking into the VPN providers that charge by month instead.
Reply 16
Using VPN on Steam is against their ToS.

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Is PrivateTunnel a VPN?

That should be manageable. I don't play any online games on Steam, and I have a friend at St A's who lives in a flat, so I can always download stuff on Steam from his place, then play offline. I only need the internet for things like PSN or League of Legends.
Reply 18
Original post by Migey
Is PrivateTunnel a VPN?

That should be manageable. I don't play any online games on Steam, and I have a friend at St A's who lives in a flat, so I can always download stuff on Steam from his place, then play offline. I only need the internet for things like PSN or League of Legends.

Yes, it is. Even if it wasn't it would be still forbidden, as the Steam ToS doesn't bother to list all possible technologies, but simply says "IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence"

And, it may be manageable for you, but won't be manageable for Dota2 players. They may need to create a fake account just to play Dota, and not risk their other games.

It's even worse if you are a CS player, cuz it's paid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
PrivateTunnel should work for MMOs as well as steam, right? Sounds good to me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending