The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

ADMIN UPDATE
Edexcel has posted official advice on the Edexcel A level C3 Maths exam that was sat on Thursday 13 June (external link)

C3 - Thursday 13th June 1hr30 Mins

C4 - Tuesday 18th June 1hr30 Mins

WILL UPDATE THIS SO PLEASE REFER TO THIS THREAD, A THUMBS UP DOESN'T HURT YOU, IT TOOK ME A BIT OF TIME TO DO THIS :smile:

Personal Note: I did these in January and didn't do so well, so re-taking, need A*AA/AAB to get into Uni, so this is my last shot, predicted A* maths so will do everything I can!
:angry: :angry: - come at me exams ---- LAST UPDATED: Thursday 4th March 2013 (added new youtube page)

Exam Tips/Revision Technique

Help people with Exam Solutions if they are stuck

Keep on topic but anything else i.e Uni requirements and Questions you might have trouble with

Grade Boundaries:
Arsey (I think he's a Teacher) Grade Boundaries are here:
http://www
.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1313284

RESOURCES:

RESOURCES PAPERS AND SOLOMON PRESS: [removed]

BACKUP LINK FOR SOLOMON PRESS (not sure if Edexcel): [removed]

C3 Electronic Downloadable Copy - Credit to Britannia :smile: (REMOVED LINK...some copyright stuff)

Solutions, don’t ask if you don’t need to: http://www.examsolutions.net/

http://www.youtube.com/user/maths247 - Maths247 is a God - the videos are really good, I'm using the for Vectors now, hes a Teacher who teaches Further Maths

TOPICS FROM SPEC:

C3 Topics: Algebra and Functions, Trigonometry, Exponetials and Logarithms, Differentiation, Numerical Methods

C4 TOPICS: Algebra and Functions, Co-ordinate Geomtry in x/y, Sequences and Series, Differentiation, Integration, Vectors

"Maths is learned by doing problems.." - http://mathcs.slu.edu/undergrad-math...in-mathematics
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im in the same boat as you , need A* in maths. Did c3 in jan and got 88 ums, quite dissapointed. Going to resit C3 in june as well as sitting C4 for first time. Not going to waste any time in starting my revision. Plan is to do all solomon papers first and then do edexcel nearer to exam time.
Reply 2
Original post by nizmo63
Im in the same boat as you , need A* in maths. Did c3 in jan and got 88 ums, quite dissapointed. Going to resit C3 in june as well as sitting C4 for first time. Not going to waste any time in starting my revision. Plan is to do all solomon papers first and then do edexcel nearer to exam time.

Good idea mate! Will do all of the difficult topics for c3/c4 by friday then start going through all the solomon press stuff as well.

Hit me on my wall wanna see how it goes! We can keep tabs on each other
Reply 3
Original post by nizmo63

I don't NEED an a* but would like one as it would enable me to get a grant if I got two other As..
unfortunately I got 80ums in C3 which means I have to get 100ums/full marks in C4 to get an A*!!! ermmm....

(I'm not re-taking C3 as I do French and there are no January A2 exams so everything rests on the summer ones...)
Reply 4
Will be redoing both C3 and C4 in the summer. Got 85 and 87 in January, need my A*!
Reply 5
Anyone have any Links to Solomon Press? I better start doing those quickly
Reply 6
Original post by nizmo63

Original post by Better
Good idea mate! Will do all of the difficult topics for C3/C4 by friday then start going through all the solomon press stuff as well.

Hit me on my wall wanna see how it goes! We can keep tabs on each other

Same place as you guys too - need my A* in C3 and C4, so I'm starting to revise from now, and do some solomon papers. But my school is being slow - they are taking ages to finish C4, so I am also teaching myself vectors, which isn't hard as I did M1, M2 and Physics.

What courses are you guys applying for??
Reply 7
Original post by Nia_Beth
Same place as you guys too - need my A* in C3 and C4, so I'm starting to revise from now, and do some solomon papers. But my school is being slow - they are taking ages to finish C4, so I am also teaching myself vectors, which isn't hard as I did M1, M2 and Physics.

EEE personally , wat about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for maths so I'm trying my best to get both an A* in maths and further maths too.

I'll be resitting my C3 as well as taking C4 in June as I got 83 in C3 making it quite challenging to obtain the A* I need to get into university, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by nizmo63
EEE personally , wat about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanical Engineering :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm applying for maths so I'm trying my best to get both an A* in maths and further maths too.

I'll be resitting my C3 as well as taking C4 in June as I got 83 in C3 making it quite challenging to obtain the A* I need to get into university, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering, and I need an A* in Maths or Physics, but I want to get it in maths moreso :smile:
In January i got 80 - I messed up the last question (and other stupid mistakes)... stupid exponential quadratic (never making that mistake again lol), so I have to retake to give myself a good chance of getting the grade :smile:
I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering, and I need an A* in Maths or Physics, but I want to get it in maths moreso :smile:
In January i got 80 - I messed up the last question (and other stupid mistakes)... stupid exponential quadratic (never making that mistake again lol), so I have to retake to give myself a good chance of getting the grade :smile:

Very nice! Where have you applied and where will you or have you firmed?

And I know how you feel about making silly mistakes, although I didn't have a problem with the exponential quadratic equation as it just jumped out at me instantly, the question asking for the exact value of the equation just completely skipped my mind making me to use an incorrect assumption. Also the maximum value part of a question caught me out too.

Well I wish you the best of luck with getting those grades, if you want I can always help you if you need anything and we should use each other to understand the topics we might individually struggle with. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Very nice! Where have you applied and where will you or have you firmed?

And I know how you feel about making silly mistakes, although I didn't have a problem with the exponential quadratic equation as it just jumped out at me instantly, the question asking for the exact value of the equation just completely skipped my mind making me to use an incorrect assumption. Also the maximum value part of a question caught me out too.

Well I wish you the best of luck with getting those grades, if you want I can always help you if you need anything and we should use each other to understand the topics we might individually struggle with. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG those questions caught me out too - I got the exact value ones, but the stupid maximum one caught me out :frown: - i was so annoyed about that question

I have applied to Imperial, Bristol, Bath and Warwick, and I'm gonna firm Bath and insure Warwick (Bath is awesome and it does an integrated Industrial year out which is what I need)

What about you??
Im taking C4 in June, Im also going to retake C1 just to make sure I get an A.
OMG those questions caught me out too - I got the exact value ones, but the stupid maximum one caught me out :frown: - i was so annoyed about that question

I have applied to Imperial, Bristol, Bath and Warwick, and I'm gonna firm Bath and insure Warwick (Bath is awesome and it does an integrated Industrial year out which is what I need)

What about you??

Yeah, the worst part was the instant I handed my paper to the examiner I realised I've answered them wrong and basically just said goodbye towards the A* grade but I'm not going to go down without a fight!

And that does sound pretty good and that's an impressive range of universities you have there.

I applied to Warwick, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham all for Maths and the masters course from undergraduate entry, I received offers from them all and I guess I'll be firming Nottingham as I didn't do well enough in January to make Warwick a possibility which is quite a shame as I really enjoyed myself on the applicant day, oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Callumhamby
Im taking C4 in June, Im also going to retake C1 just to make sure I get an A.

Just out of curiosity but which part of C4 do you find the most challenging?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yeah, the worst part was the instant I handed my paper to the examiner I realised I've answered them wrong and basically just said goodbye towards the A* grade but I'm not going to go down without a fight!

And that does sound pretty good and that's an impressive range of universities you have there.

I applied to Warwick, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham all for Maths and the masters course from undergraduate entry, I received offers from them all and I guess I'll be firming Nottingham as I didn't do well enough in January to make Warwick a possibility which is quite a shame as I really enjoyed myself on the applicant day, oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do Nottingham and Warwick want? How did you do in January?
Reply 17
I'm doing C3 and C4 in June, and I haven't even started C4 yet. Not looking forward to cramming everything in so fast :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do Nottingham and Warwick want? How did you do in January?

Nottingham want AAA or A* (Maths) AB and Warwick wanted A*A* (Maths and Further) A in Chemistry plus a 2 in any STEP paper.

In January I got A's in my maths exams but a D in my Chemistry, even though I got 70% raw marks, so I wasn't too impressed really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reeedo
I'm doing C3 and C4 in June, and I haven't even started C4 yet. Not looking forward to cramming everything in so fast :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask why you haven't started C4 yet when the exam is only 3 months away?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest