The Student Room Group

Can you bite something so hard that your teeth break?

I wouldn't ask this here, but I've not found any answer to this question on the Internet. I was wondering if it's humanly possible for someone to bite something so hard, like a bone by accident, that your teeth break/shatter. Or does the human body know not to exert so much pressure on chewed food that tooth damage will happen? In other words, does the body "sense" when something hard is in the mouth, and knows to stop the jaw from biting so hard?
Reply 1
I'd guess that if you clench your teeth violently on a metal bar or something you'd damage them
Reply 2
I think it would affect your jaw first before your teeth break like that. I've only heard of teeth being chipped or knocked out but not sets breaking.
Umm... I broke a tooth in half biting a popcorn kernel if that counts? It was a baby tooth though
Reply 4
My bro broke off half of his tooth horizontally having a roast back in august. He got it fixed the next day... So yeah, its possible, but not much of a biggie.
Reply 5
Packs of pork scratchings have warnings that they're only for people with strong, healthy teeth - which implies that someone somewhere may have damaged their teeth and complained

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 6
A rock?
Original post by special1ne
I wouldn't ask this here, but I've not found any answer to this question on the Internet. I was wondering if it's humanly possible for someone to bite something so hard, like a bone by accident, that your teeth break/shatter. Or does the human body know not to exert so much pressure on chewed food that tooth damage will happen? In other words, does the body "sense" when something hard is in the mouth, and knows to stop the jaw from biting so hard?

It's possible yes, there isn't much 'give' in the supporting structures of the teeth as some unfortunate people opening beer bottles with their mouths have found..
Reply 8
I managed to snap a tooth in half through eating a raw carrot when I was about 10.

I had to get it fixed the next day by having the other half gouged out of my gums.. on my sisters birthday.:tongue:
Reply 9
Beer bottles :tongue:
I broke some of my tooth off on one of those liquorice sweets with the hard shells... I thought they were like jelly beans :frown:

But this was a baby tooth
Reply 11
Yes. Even more so for teeth that have been root canaled, they tend to be more brittle (and it is advised not go eat bones etc).
Reply 12
Original post by special1ne

Yes,
I was leant over a lad in school years ago, as he jumped not knowing I was there he sat bolt upright at an alarming rate and hit the bottom of my jaw. The caused my from teeth to hit (top vs bottom) very quickly producing a small chip now in my front top tooth and a crack developing upwards from it.
...so yes.

But to be fair it is now hardly noticable due to dentist filling in the chip and the crack is now the same colour as my teeth so almost invisible.

Quick Reply

Latest