The Student Room Group

Help - C4 integration !

The question is from the Heinemann Edexcel C4 book, 6G, Question 3.e.:

Integrate x^22sec^2xtanx dx

I've figured out u = x^2, and du/dx = 2x

And dv/dx = 2sec^2xtanx, but I can't figure out how to get v? Any help would be appreciated !! :smile::smile:
Original post by oceanicccc

And dv/dx = 2sec^2xtanx, but I can't figure out how to get v? Any help would be appreciated !! :smile::smile:

Try differentiating sec2x\sec^2x

By the way, you need to take more care when typing up questions. I thought your question read x22x^{22}
Reply 2
if you want to type powers then...

sec2x can be written sec{sup}2{/sup}x but replace each { with a [
Original post by the bear
if you want to type powers then...

sec2x can be written sec{sup}2{/sup}x but replace each { with a [

I'd prefer them to use LaTex really.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
I'd prefer them to use LaTex really.

the sup and sub is less stressful than latex
the sup and sub is less stressful than latex

“I have little patience with scientists who take a board of wood, look for its thinnest part, and drill a great number of holes where drilling is easy.” Albert Einstein
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
“I have little patience with scientists who take a board of wood, look for its thinnest part, and drill a great number of holes where drilling is easy.” Albert Einstein

Latex Schmatex... sorry Albert
Latex Schmatex... sorry Albert

Reply 8

heya Alberto it's notta so bad SHUT UPPA YOUR FACE

albert.jpg
Original post by Mr M

You're helping a student with an A-Level maths question on an internet forum. Your argument is like suggesting text speak is foolish because authors use full sentences and correct grammar.
Original post by PythianLegume
You're helping a student with an A-Level maths question on an internet forum. Your argument is like suggesting text speak is foolish because authors use full sentences and correct grammar.

You don't have to be a published author to write properly. Text speak is prohibited on TSR because it is an academic website.

Browsing the TSR LaTex Wiki for about 5 minutes will allow the OP to avoid ambiguity and confusion in the future and make it easier for people to help him.
10 replies, only 1 tries to help OP. Welcome to TSR.
P.S. It's 11/1 now.
Original post by oceanicccc

Is your question, how to integrate, 2x2sec2xtanxdx\displaystyle 2\int x^2\sec^2x \tan x\,dx ?
Original post by bogstandardname
Is your question, how to integrate, 2x2sec2xtanxdx\displaystyle 2\int x^2\sec^2x \tan x\,dx ?

Yes and it was answered in post 2.

Quick Reply

Latest