Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Is Coventry a good uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by abzy1234
My sister goes there, and is currently a final year student; she says its alright academically, and socially its alright. I tend to get the feeling it isn't the best or the worst. From what I've seen, Coventry is a pretty dire city, though you have Brum close by!

As always, it's mainly the degree that you do which counts; make sure you visit the university if you're seriously considering it though regardless :smile:

I take deep offence at someone making statements like "dire" from a person who gets the impression that.......

Coventry is no better an NO worse than any other post industrial city. Visit it, have a look around at the Uni quarter, most of which is new and award winning for its design.

I have been to Nottm. Bham. Derby etc and this city is equal to any of them Remember there are around 140 uni's in Britain and Cov is 47 and climbing. Warwick uni is also wholely in the city and is top 10 in the UK. If Coventry is dire, how do you explain these truths ?
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Mate, Coventry university is full of foreign students.
Coventry itself is a crap town, I thought Birmingham was rough and it is but at least it has very nice city center. Coventry has kasbah (warehouse club) and a few crappy student bars, it cannot even be compared to Birmingham, (Gate Crasher, Oceana, Custard factory, NIA, NEC, LG areana, HMV institute, Rainbow warehouse, Broad street, endless number of bars and clubs).
Don't get me started on how the university is run, its a joke!, lecturers cant speak fluent English, facilities are ancient if you are not in the engineering and computing building. The university is spread out across the city center, you will find yourself walking through shoppers to get to lectures.
Coventry itself is a dump, worst areas are the Hillfields and down by the city college. If you travel parking is horrendous with NCP car parking under the fly overs charging up to £10 a day, student car parking has been introduced this year at £2 a day, but you wont get a space anywhere after 11am.

The list goes on and on, quoting population numbers is dumb, actually spend time studying at the dump, paying astronomical parking prices, using the crap facilities and socializing in the bars and clubs. As I said before, I would not recommend Coventry university and if I had to make the choice again I would look elsewhere.

This is only my opinion, I don't intend to offend anybody who is currently or planning on studying at Coventry, I am probably biased through having bad experiences, some will find the facilities sufficient and enjoy their time studying their chosen course. To give credit the facilities have improved ten fold since I first enrolled.
Reply 22
Original post by covkid96
I take deep offence at someone making statements like "dire" from a person who gets the impression that.......

Coventry is no better an NO worse than any other post industrial city. Visit it, have a look around at the Uni quarter, most of which is new and award winning for its design.

I have been to Nottm. Bham. Derby etc and this city is equal to any of them Remember there are around 140 uni's in Britain and Cov is 47 and climbing. Warwick uni is also wholely in the city and is top 10 in the UK. If Coventry is dire, how do you explain these truths ?

I have actually visited the city, and it is simply my opinion; you may disagree with it, which is perfectly fine. :rolleyes:

University rankings are foolish, they never really tell you the full story; and in no way was I criticising the university due to its location. Besides, how does location actually boost a university ranking?

I didn't mean to offend anyone :/
Original post by p3tr01h34d
Coventry itself is a crap town, I thought Birmingham was rough and it is but at least it has very nice city center. Coventry has kasbah (warehouse club) and a few crappy student bars, it cannot even be compared to Birmingham, (Gate Crasher, Oceana, Custard factory, NIA, NEC, LG areana, HMV institute, Rainbow warehouse, Broad street, endless number of bars and clubs).
Don't get me started on how the university is run, its a joke!, lecturers cant speak fluent English, facilities are ancient if you are not in the engineering and computing building. The university is spread out across the city center, you will find yourself walking through shoppers to get to lectures.
Coventry itself is a dump, worst areas are the Hillfields and down by the city college. If you travel parking is horrendous with NCP car parking under the fly overs charging up to £10 a day, student car parking has been introduced this year at £2 a day, but you wont get a space anywhere after 11am.

The list goes on and on, quoting population numbers is dumb, actually spend time studying at the dump, paying astronomical parking prices, using the crap facilities and socializing in the bars and clubs. As I said before, I would not recommend Coventry university and if I had to make the choice again I would look elsewhere.

This is only my opinion, I don't intend to offend anybody who is currently or planning on studying at Coventry, I am probably biased through having bad experiences, some will find the facilities sufficient and enjoy their time studying their chosen course. To give credit the facilities have improved ten fold since I first enrolled.

Oh I fully value your opinion and wish faculties are you talking about when you say they have improved?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24

What's wrong with a lot of foreign students being there ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
You are so obviously economic with the truth.... I live in Meriden, between both places and Cov is a much more relaxed place than Brum. The Bull ring in Brum is chaotic and 90% frequented by non English speaking foreigners and chavs.At night Broad street is dangerous, personally as a LOCAL I prefer Cov but there are so many other great places around Warwickshire I rarely go to either.

Take it from me, a local currently doing a masters at Warwick, I know what I am talking about. I got a first at Coventry uni and I could have gone anywhere in the country for my MSc but saw no reason to change. I feel I have been given great prospects by these uni's and take offence at idiots here who simply write junk for argument and not for reason.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26

Go live there and take your obnoxious opinions with you....... idiotic !!!
Reply 27
Original post by bronemillie
Lol clearly a hater.. Bye bye :smile:

just wtf...seriously.
Original post by tamishaalexander
Lmao this post made me laugh not gunna lie I was wondering the same, what you planning on studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology & Criminology yourself? :smile:
Economic with the truth?
Yeah, I haven't gone into half of the crap that goes on in Coventry, you really don't want to get me started.

The facilities that have been improved is the engineering and computing block (new building this year) and last year they opened the HUB which is a new building which houses take-aways, coffee shops and computers with various little academic centers.

Student car parks are new to this year, they fill up fast though and idiots illegally park in there so they hand out fines now.
Psychology & Criminology yourself? :smile:

Ooo okay just Criminology I wanted to do it with forensic science but they only offered that at Portsmouth. Is Cov your firm or insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tamishaalexander
Ooo okay just Criminology I wanted to do it with forensic science but they only offered that at Portsmouth. Is Cov your firm or insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww sounds good, no its my insurance choice Buckinghamshire New Uni is my firm. I've been put of COV with these reviews lol
Aww sounds good, no its my insurance choice Buckinghamshire New Uni is my firm. I've been put of COV with these reviews lol

Yeah me too I think I wanna go Portsmouth now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Economic with the truth?
Yeah, I haven't gone into half of the crap that goes on in Coventry, you really don't want to get me started.

The facilities that have been improved is the engineering and computing block (new building this year) and last year they opened the HUB which is a new building which houses take-aways, coffee shops and computers with various little academic centers.

Student car parks are new to this year, they fill up fast though and idiots illegally park in there so they hand out fines now.

Go to wherever you feel comfortable, but remember to be respectful to the locals and to keep your biased opinions to yourself.

Maybe no offence intended but lots taken so STFU.

Bye bye.....
The new student building at Cov is actually nice. It has great facilities including many computers and "relaxing zones". One of the best student areas by far.

Cant personally comment on the teaching etc.
Original post by covkid96

I'm local and with the exception of the small student part of the city, the city really is dire. I didn't realise how bad it was until I looked round other cities on open days. The city is ugly, outdated and pretty poor for shopping

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 36
Local lad soon finishing the first year of biomedical science (which I got in through clearing). Both my parents went there - one for their first degree, another for masters, PhD and lectured their for some time. How they met... that's a very interesting and long story :biggrin:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the university and the course. I'm in only three days a week (this is full time), and all my completed modules are getting 80%+ with a slightly laid back attitude to work, so nothing to complain about there.

Oh yeah, on the three days I'm at uni, there's a lot of timewasting between lecutures and labs: typically two, sometimes three hours - I usually go to the gym \ pool \ occasional visit to Nando's \ do general time-wasting.

Facilities are top notch, especially the new Hub and library. No trouble finding a PC or loaning a laptop. Everyone on my course gets free textbooks to keep, and apparently there's more coming.

The city is dull, and so is the night life (but I'm not much of a party animal), so you have to travel a bit to find something nice.

Generally, I think Coventry as a university is underrated by people.
I'm from Cov. Don't go there lol. The social life is quite bad better to go somewhere else. Hope I helped :smile:
I'm just finishing my final year and have lived in Coventry fully since I started (I.e. over summer and Xmas due to work). I found the teaching on my course brilliant and the facilities were good too - I've done BSc Biological and Forensic Sciences. I liked my course as if I didn't find the forensics side that interesting I could have changed to another Biology degree very easily after my first year. The nightlife in Cov is pretty poor, but it's easy enough to get to Brum if you want to and personally I wouldn't live in Brum because of how busy it is!! Not my cup of tea, having to trawl through crowds all the time. I haven't found that there is an over abundance of foreign students, so not sure where that idea has come from.
Reply 39
Good uni with lots of supportive lecturers and lots of societies to get involved in but the city itself isn't that great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest