The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends if they are considered impressive in the US i would guess. Ox sends interviewers over there, and they deal entirley with US applicants, so they will know how impressive they are, even if we don't.
Reply 2
Read some books. Pure intelligence is a starting point but it's better to be able to 'think' rather than just compute, if you follow me. What subject are you applying for? If it's something like PPE, History etc then maybe worth getting hold of some British texts too to show willing, since that will be the focus of the course. To be honest it's more to do with having a bright and teachable personality as raw IQs generally. Perhaps an exception in stuff like maths and physics.
Reply 3
11 APs wont get you in, but they are impressive. Better than A levels- I don't think Oxford expect that many APs.
And yes, I think that's quite a high SAT score, so I guess that would help. I can't see them turning you down on the basis of grades without an interview- only if you don't have the right subjects or personal statement or something along those lines. I'm not sure though.
I wanna apply to the E&M Program.

My APs were as follows:

1.) AP Comparative Government: 5
2.) AP Microeconomics: 5
3.) AP World History: 5
4.) AP Calculus: 5
5.) AP Statistics :5
6.) AP Chemistry: 5
7.) AP Literature: 5
8.) AP Human Geography: 5
9.) AP American History: 5
10.) AP Environmental Science: 5
11.) AP Psychology: 5

Other test scores:

SAT Reasoning: 2270/2400
ACT: 33/36

SAT II Scores:
1.) Biology M: 760
2.) Math II: 750
3.) Math I: 740
4.) Chemistry: 780
5.) World History: 800
6.) Biology: 780
7.) Physics: 770
8.) Literature: 710
9.) Biology E: 800

So, do I have a guaranteed shot for an interview? Thanks.
Also, can anybody post the link to the E&M recommended reading lists? Thanks!
Reply 6
um - 11 AP's? LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Give it a go mate, I'm sure you've got a chance lol.
I'm so freaked out. I invested alot of time and effort on ONLY Oxford. I honestly dont know what I'll do if It get rejected. My parents have their hopes high. It'll be extremely devastating if I get denied admission.
Reply 8
you should invest more time and effort in wanting to do your course less so at wanting to do it at oxford, as its enthusiasm for the course that they want to see not for the prestige of oxford
You are right. I want to major in economics, and I am sure I can reflect my passion for the subject (given my regular reading of The Economist), but Oxford has become an obsession. Economics + Oxford = dream come true!
Reply 10
primitivefuture
You are right. I want to major in economics, and I am sure I can reflect my passion for the subject (given my regular reading of The Economist), but Oxford has become an obsession. Economics + Oxford = dream come true!

Erm, that's kinda par for the course. It takes more than reading the Economist to show 'passion' for E&M (your extensive extra-curricular record from the other thread would help).

Oxford are only really interested in academics. From my [limited] knowledge of the American school system, you certainly seem to have very impressive academic credentials and I would have thought an interview would be guaranteed. From there though, who knows?

That is, if you're not a troll :p:
LOL, no, I am not a troll :smile:
Reply 12
You are guaranteed an interview, but not a place. Make sure your reading is extensive - I'm no economist, but I'd recommend Marx's "Das Kapital", Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" and Keynes' "General Theory...": these have been highly influential in modern political history.

Go for it and good luck :smile:
Thanks, do you think Marx's "Communist Manifesto" is an interesting read?
Reply 14
I do.
Do the interviewers stress on old theories like those of marx, or do they concentrate on modern economics?
Reply 16
They could really ask about anything. Like many say, they don't really want to see what your answer is but how you got to.
Reply 17
Che!
I'm no economist, but I'd recommend Marx's "Das Kapital", Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" and Keynes' "General Theory..."
Go for it and good luck :smile:

Can't speak for Adam Smith or Keynes, but have you seen Das Kapital Che? It's thousands and thousands of pages long and absolutely clear as mud. And unfinished. A mistake to attempt - long, dull and depressing to try. If you want a background on Marx try Alex Callinicos' introduction. It's got a fairly concise explanation of Das Kapital. But I very much doubt more than one or two economists in all Oxford have read DK.

Better something on game theory and really anything that takes your fancy relating to economics - stuff that's interesting and new, not a textbook-like Theory Of Economics tome. If you knew it all before you started then there's no point going!
Where can I learn more about Game Theory?
Reply 19
Make sure your reading is extensive - I'm no economist, but I'd recommend Marx's "Das Kapital", Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" and Keynes' "General Theory...": these have been highly influential in modern political history.

nice, the three cornerstone books of economics.. if u can read em n understand em then good on ya (you won't be able to). read abridged (basically translated) versions if you must, alternatively read more modern relevant stuff like Dixit and Nalebuff's "thinking strategically" (answer to the above Q - perfect for intro to game theory).

the thing to remember is that academic achievement (you will both get interviews i'm sure) only goes so far. the majority of your chance will rest on the interview, so get interested in your subject, read a bit, practice interviews a bit, n be yourself :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending