The Student Room Group

Edexcel: 11th and 14th June 2013 (Linear) 1MA0/1H + 2H (Official Thread)

This poll is closed

Are you confident about your maths exam?

Very confident 18%
Quiet confident 38%
Satisfactory 26%
Not confident18%
Total votes: 142
I know this may seem a bit early, but here we go. The official thread for this exam.

What topics do Y'all think is going to come on on this paper? (Paper 1 Calculator AND Paper 2 Calculator).

For clarification, this is for the Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A (Linear) Specification.

*Sorry, the exams are on the 11th June and 14th* NOT the 10th........
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MBT Bot
It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...maybe you should check out MarkedbyTeachers.com, TSR's sister site. It has the largest library of essays in the UK with over 173,000+ coursework, essays, homeworks etc.. all written by GCSE, A Level, University and IB students across all topics.

Handpicked examples show formative feedback comments from some brilliant teachers. Plus, reviews from A* students and hints, tips & common mistakes from their teacher team. You get access either by publishing some of your own work, or paying £4.99 for a month's access. Both ways give you unlimited access to all of the essays.

All their documents are submitted to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software, so it can't be misused, and the site's used by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

What's more, you can take a look around the site and preview the work, read reviews and teacher summaries AND view the hints and tips absolutely free. Click here to find out more...

Going by last years paper which I've used for revision I reckon:

Non calculator

Designing data tables
sampling
Area
converstion graphs
stem and leaf diagrams
substituting numbers into formulas
Time questions
expanding
factorising
rearranging formulas
transformations
Working out the best deal using percentages
Working out angles in shapes
Volume
interior and exterior angles in polygons
Bearings
cumulative frequency graphs, median, IQR and box plots
simplifying expressions
standard form
probability trees
simultaneous equations
circle geometry
Histograms
algebraic fractions
turning recurring decimals into fractions

Calculator

parallel lines
Rounding calculator answers to decimal places or significant figures
Designing questions and giving criticisms
Straight line graphs
Working out best value for money
Scatter graphs
Transformations
Converting money from pounds to another currency eg: euros
inequalities
Trial and improvement
Relative frequency
Estimating the mean from a frequency table
Simplifying, expanding and factor using more complex expressions
solving equations
Working out best value for money using percentages
Trigonometry
Compound interest and depreciation
Pythagoras
Quadratic equations
Stratified sampling
Sin and cosine rules
probability trees without replacement
Vectors

I'm taking this exam this year too. I just hope we get as many handling data and statistic questions as possible as it is the area I'm best at. Good luck for June :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Nat_Griffiths
Going by last years paper which I've used for revision I reckon:

Non calculator

Designing data tables
sampling
Area
converstion graphs
stem and leaf diagrams
substituting numbers into formulas
Time questions
expanding
factorising
rearranging formulas
transformations
Working out the best deal using percentages
Working out angles in shapes
Volume
interior and exterior angles in polygons
Bearings
cumulative frequency graphs, median, IQR and box plots
simplifying expressions
standard form
probability trees
simultaneous equations
circle geometry
Histograms
algebraic fractions
turning recurring decimals into fractions

Calculator

parallel lines
Rounding calculator answers to decimal places or significant figures
Designing questions and giving criticisms
Straight line graphs
Working out best value for money
Scatter graphs
Transformations
Converting money from pounds to another currency eg: euros
inequalities
Trial and improvement
Relative frequency
Estimating the mean from a frequency table
Simplifying, expanding and factor using more complex expressions
solving equations
Working out best value for money using percentages
Trigonometry
Compound interest and depreciation
Pythagoras
Quadratic equations
Stratified sampling
Sin and cosine rules
probability trees without replacement
Vectors

I'm taking this exam this year too. I just hope we get as many handling data and statistic questions as possible as it is the area I'm best at. Good luck for June :smile:

Thanks, (and thanks for the predictions). Unlike you, I despise stats, I hope there are algebra problems solving questions ! (Setting up quadratics and simultaneous equations, and solving quadratic fractions :smile: )
hey, have you started revising? how are you going to revise?
Reply 5
Original post by Captain Anonymous
hey, have you started revising? how are you going to revise?

Well, I revise by doing Past Papers and going through stuff I don't understand with my parents, I learn new topics through school and parents + textbooks....

How about you?
past papers and edexcel text book - although the questions in the text book are frickin' hard compared to the questions that appear in the exams :smile:
What grade you aiming for? I swear its on the 11th and 14th :confused:
I never like to predict what is going to be on the paper.
I appreciate students like to know though!

With my pupils sitting them exam I am going to find what I believe are 100 of the more challenging A and A* questions and get them to see how many they can get and email me the answers.

Revision should be suited to you whether that is past papers, books, study groups, parental/teacher support, videos or a chat forum.

I would say though there is a difference between revision and needing to learn a topic and from experience some students could spend more time grasping the understanding of a topic (or two) instead of just hoping they get the past paper question right or it doesn't come up!

I am up to 2 questions out of the 100 so far and will write some nasty ones:devil::devil::devil: to really push the A/A* students.
Reply 9
What grade you aiming for? I swear its on the 11th and 14th :confused:

I'm predicted an A but I would like an A*. :colondollar::colondollar:

You?
Reply 10
Original post by m4ths/maths247

With my pupils sitting them exam I am going to find what I believe are 100 of the more challenging A and A* questions and get them to see how many they can get and email me the answers.

Revision should be suited to you whether that is past papers, books, study groups, parental/teacher support, videos or a chat forum.

I would say though there is a difference between revision and needing to learn a topic and from experience some students could spend more time grasping the understanding of a topic (or two) instead of just hoping they get the past paper question right or it doesn't come up!

I am up to 2 questions out of the 100 so far and will write some nasty ones:devil::devil::devil: to really push the A/A* students.

Hey, will it be possible for you to send me a copy of the questions? As I am aiming for the A/A*??

is there any chance, you could send me the 'hard' questions via student room private message :biggrin:
Original post by tohaaaa
I'm predicted an A but I would like an A*. :colondollar::colondollar:

You?

A/A* :colone:
BUMP
Reply 14
A/A* :colone:

What do you think the chances of Quadratic Simultaneous Equations coming up? Like:

x^2 + y^2 = 25
2x + y = 4

(or something)

OR Quadratic Fraction Equations.

I nail these questions :colone::colone::colone: Hopefully they come up.
(edited 10 years ago)
i would say its likely :smile:
My weak point is basically: functions of graphs and proving things using algebra. What about everyone else?
is there any chance, you could send me the 'hard' questions via student room private message :biggrin:

Yes, I have for you.
Good luck.
Reply 18
My weak point is basically: functions of graphs and proving things using algebra. What about everyone else?

When you say functions do you mean transformations as well? 'Cause they screw me over a lot :3

Also, Vectors.
Reply 19
Yes, I have for you.
Good luck.

Can I have a copy please? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest