The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mandeville
Hey! Congratulations, you must be really excited after waiting so long. UCL is also my absolute first choice, in my case it is the Old Norse modules and language course that attracts me to them.
I am yet to recieve an offer, it has been around 20 days since my references got uploaded. I have a mid 2.1 (65.66 ish) with relevant work experience and I amself-funded, but I really don't know how I stand or what my chances are.

I am an international student as well btw, from Norway, where abouts are you from?

Thanks for the congratulations, and replying to my message! I am definitely excited about starting at UCL this year, though also anxious about plunging myself into more student loan debt. I am also self funded. I applied for both a Marshall and a Fulbright scholarship, but was unsucessful.

Old Norse sounds very interesting. Are you most interested in the literature, history, or some other aspect? If I may ask, what are you hoping to do with your degree/specialization? Also, what did you study for your undegraduate degree? I am from the United States - Michigan specifically - and got my Bachelor's in Art History, but, in addition to my U.S. experience, I did complete one undergrad semester abroad at a program directly affiliated with the University of Oxford, so I have some experience with England/the UK. I also studied German in Heidelberg for a bit, and have done some other European traveling. That said, I am not exactly sure of the equivalent between European grade scale and the U.S., and am completely unhelpful as far as speculating about chances of acceptance.

I wish you all the best though, and I hope you hear back from UCL soon. Did you apply to other universities as well?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey any of you DPU offer holders got the email details and also invitation to join the facebook as well?
I'm so excited about the trip to peru!
Reply 242
hey! any eu postgrads have any idea where we're gonna stay? are we eligible to apply to intercollegiate halls?
Reply 243
Original post by malakal
hey! any eu postgrads have any idea where we're gonna stay? are we eligible to apply to intercollegiate halls?

Hey, I'm originally French (so EU!) and I believe that you might be unless you've lived in the UK before. If you go on the first page of the UCL Accommodation website it'll tell you pretty clearly whether you're eligible to apply for halls. If not, then you'll have to look for private accommodation. I'm currently on the hunt, and it's tough to find anything for September yet.

Are there any other (aside from me) MSc Anthropology, Environment and Development offer holders around?? Would be keen to chat!!:biggrin:
Original post by UsefulLipids
Hey any of you DPU offer holders got the email details and also invitation to join the facebook as well?
I'm so excited about the trip to peru!

PERU!!!???

:biggrin:

Brilliant!!!

No mail received yet, but we're going to see Machu Pichu!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BTW, Urban Development Planning here. :smile:
Original post by prayashgiria
PERU!!!???

:biggrin:

Brilliant!!!

No mail received yet, but we're going to see Machu Pichu!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BTW, Urban Development Planning here. :smile:

Hahaha! Hi fellow DPU student!
This was in the email attachment I received,
"The practical research you will be involved with follows on from this year’s students’ work on water justice issues in Lima, Peru, visiting the city for 3 weeks of primary research in April/May 2013. This project work is conducted in collaboration with local NGOs and communities, complementing on-going research taking place in the DPU."
Even though everyone's telling me to go for LSE, this trip is one of the biggest things that I keep thinking about how much I'd be missing out on if I don't go to UCL.
Reply 246
Original post by Clagut
Hey, I'm originally French (so EU!) and I believe that you might be unless you've lived in the UK before. If you go on the first page of the UCL Accommodation website it'll tell you pretty clearly whether you're eligible to apply for halls. If not, then you'll have to look for private accommodation. I'm currently on the hunt, and it's tough to find anything for September yet.

Are there any other (aside from me) MSc Anthropology, Environment and Development offer holders around?? Would be keen to chat!!:biggrin:

Finally, an answer!
Do you think it is early for us to apply? I know I am eligible but the thing is that is says that priority is given to international students (from outside EU) so... that makes me a little nervous...
Original post by UsefulLipids
Hahaha! Hi fellow DPU student!
This was in the email attachment I received,
"The practical research you will be involved with follows on from this year’s students’ work on water justice issues in Lima, Peru, visiting the city for 3 weeks of primary research in April/May 2013. This project work is conducted in collaboration with local NGOs and communities, complementing on-going research taking place in the DPU."
Even though everyone's telling me to go for LSE, this trip is one of the biggest things that I keep thinking about how much I'd be missing out on if I don't go to UCL.

Cool... Are you up for Urban Development Planning as well? Either way, hope to see you at DPU!

Some forums I sifted through pointed out the LSE vs UCL rift. The general consensus I came across was that DPU is far more relevant and focused, and LSE somewhat overhyped and overpriced. Plus LSE's trip is to mainland Europe, which is hardly relevant for a third world focus.

On a side note - does the mail say that we'll also go to Lima? It says April/May 2013, so that applies to the current batch. Isn't there a chance that we might go somewhere else? Reading too much into it, I know :P
Original post by prayashgiria
Cool... Are you up for Urban Development Planning as well? Either way, hope to see you at DPU!

Some forums I sifted through pointed out the LSE vs UCL rift. The general consensus I came across was that DPU is far more relevant and focused, and LSE somewhat overhyped and overpriced. Plus LSE's trip is to mainland Europe, which is hardly relevant for a third world focus.

On a side note - does the mail say that we'll also go to Lima? It says April/May 2013, so that applies to the current batch. Isn't there a chance that we might go somewhere else? Reading too much into it, I know :P

No I am going for Environment and Sustainable Development. So it can be a bit different. I liked the LSE one too because the faculty and alumni is very strong. It's not an easy choice overall.
Yea I was wondering too... it didn't seem to add up, but the part on "follows on from this year’s students’ work" is what made me think Peru. Then again they may have just phrased it very ambiguously. I'm currently waiting on replies from Mr. Wood-Hill, so I'll see what he says.
Just for the general record here - I got an email about 2-3 weeks ago that they are going to reject me for English: Issues in Modern Culture, but are offering me a place on a different course (that I didnt apply to) called Comparative Literature. The Portico isn't complete yet though, so I don't know my condiditions or anything. I'm curious how much longer it'll take them. :rolleyes:

I had a look at the other course and it looks interesting and would give the opportunity to focus on a lot of things that I initially meant to do through the degree I applied to, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. :wink:
Reply 250
Hi!!! Has anyone applied for the Social Cognition: Research and Applications MSc at UCL? I just applied and wondering if anyone has heard back.
Reply 251
Has anyone got an offer for the MSc in Statistics?
Reply 252
Original post by annaKI
:smile: thank you. I pretty much know you're right, but I'll try the other thread as well. I like the neuro-cases module, though I don't know if it's worth forgoing UCL for that. (I'm a bit worried about making the right decision.. I guess that's a good thing.)

Birkbeck is 2,300 cheaper by the way. Also, it shouldn't be a deciding factor, but I like that fact that BBK students tend to be a bit older and not straight from undergrad (what I've heard). Anyway.. off to the other thread

Hi Anna!
I was strarting to prepare my application for Birkbeck university some weeks ago, but in the meanwhile I received an offer from UCL for MSc Cognitive Neuroscience, so I decided to don't apply to any other Masters.
My reasons were mostly the staff and facilities, and the direct connection with the research institute.
One point for Birkbeck was the higher number of older student even for me :-) but I preferred to take the offer from UCL, that was my first choice. I'm not straight from undergrad because I worked for six years before my decision for a master.
Congratulation for your offers, and let me know how is going your decision!! :-)
Reply 253
Hey ....... Desperately need help deciding! :confused:
What do u guys vthink is better specially in terms of job prospects ?

Durham- msc economics
UCL- msc economics policy
Reply 254
Hi all,
Is anybody still waiting to hear from UCL for English: Issues in Modern Culture? Why is it taking so long!?
Original post by Bosch-2-Dali
Thanks for the congratulations, and replying to my message! I am definitely excited about starting at UCL this year, though also anxious about plunging myself into more student loan debt. I am also self funded. I applied for both a Marshall and a Fulbright scholarship, but was unsucessful.

Old Norse sounds very interesting. Are you most interested in the literature, history, or some other aspect? If I may ask, what are you hoping to do with your degree/specialization? Also, what did you study for your undegraduate degree? I am from the United States - Michigan specifically - and got my Bachelor's in Art History, but, in addition to my U.S. experience, I did complete one undergrad semester abroad at a program directly affiliated with the University of Oxford, so I have some experience with England/the UK. I also studied German in Heidelberg for a bit, and have done some other European traveling. That said, I am not exactly sure of the equivalent between European grade scale and the U.S., and am completely unhelpful as far as speculating about chances of acceptance.

I wish you all the best though, and I hope you hear back from UCL soon. Did you apply to other universities as well?

Apologies for hijacking your conversation, but you two are the only ones I've seen on this thread in a program remotely related to mine (MA History of Art), so I thought I'd say hello--I actually had a little bit of a personal crisis considering whether to go into modern history or become a medievalist, but modern history won (I'm a hopeless Germanophile, too, so it's really more like modern Germany won). My bachelor's is (or, will be, in three weeks) in art history--so, Bosch-2-Dali, I love your username. :smile: I'm also from the US and really looking forward to the amount of loan debt UCL is going to cause in my life, but it'll be worth it.
Quick question: does anyone know when is the deadline for accepting the offer from the school??
Reply 257
You have 4 weeks from the day you received your offer
Original post by virtsou
You have 4 weeks from the day you received your offer

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 259
You are asked to respond to this offer of admission within four weeks as this will help us in planning for the current year. You do not have to respond within four weeks and if you wish to take longer to decide you do not need to contact us to ask for an extension.

Just recieved an offer. Anyone else find this odd?

Latest

Trending

Trending