The Student Room Group

Stuck between Bath and Cardiff

Hi I have conditional offers to study pharmacy at bath and cardiff uni. I applied last year but missed out on my grades but I have been given offers for this year of AAB and at the moment I now have ABB so I am resitting a couple of exams in the summer. Last year I firmed bath and put cardiff as my insurance.
So it's this time of year again and I was going to automatically firm bath but I'm not so sure now. Cardiff is closer home than bath is (1 hour vs 1.5 hours by train) also I have a fair few friends already in Cardiff, now it's not that I'm worried about making friends at uni but its nice to know that I have friends already living there as we speak.
But the course at bath seems slightly better, yet I have been looking at uni stats etc and cardiff seem to be coming up (slightly) ahead of bath. I don't really care too much about rankings but it comes down to campus uni (bath) vs city living(Cardiff) and what I prefer... But I have no idea what I would prefer! I love the thought of stepping out my front door and being in the centre of everything. But with bath everything is more compacted and with my course being quite full on, I don't want to be spending all my free time walking REALLY far (that's what I think cardiff might be like but in reality it'll be like that in bath too after the first year and I move off campus.)
I just need a bit of advice...if any of you go to bath or cardiff, share some thoughts with me? Even better if you do pharmacy here too!

Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by hollybanolly
Hi I have conditional offers to study pharmacy at bath and cardiff uni. I applied last year but missed out on my grades but I have been given offers for this year of AAB and at the moment I now have ABB so I am resitting a couple of exams in the summer. Last year I firmed bath and put cardiff as my insurance.
So it's this time of year again and I was going to automatically firm bath but I'm not so sure now. Cardiff is closer home than bath is (1 hour vs 1.5 hours by train) also I have a fair few friends already in Cardiff, now it's not that I'm worried about making friends at uni but its nice to know that I have friends already living there as we speak.
But the course at bath seems slightly better, yet I have been looking at uni stats etc and cardiff seem to be coming up (slightly) ahead of bath. I don't really care too much about rankings but it comes down to campus uni (bath) vs city living(Cardiff) and what I prefer... But I have no idea what I would prefer! I love the thought of stepping out my front door and being in the centre of everything. But with bath everything is more compacted and with my course being quite full on, I don't want to be spending all my free time walking REALLY far (that's what I think cardiff might be like but in reality it'll be like that in bath too after the first year and I move off campus.)
I just need a bit of advice...if any of you go to bath or cardiff, share some thoughts with me? Even better if you do pharmacy here too!

Thanks x

Hi Hollybanolly

It may be worth posting this in the University of Bath forum and the University of Cardiff forum, where there will be lots of people trying to make similar decisions, or who will have already made their decision and will be able to tell you why!

I work in Admissions at the University of Bath but I don't know much about Cardiff so it wouldn't be fair for me to tell you which one would be better for you. Have you visited both universities? I would strongly recommend doing so - it will give you a much better feel for what it would be like to be a student there.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing anyone going to Bath - most of our students don't know anyone when they arrive and everyone is very keen to be sociable and make new friends!

Although Bath is a campus university (great for rolling out of bed and into your lectures during your first year!), the city centre is only just down the hill and it's very easy to walk there (ok - not so easy to walk back up the hill!) or get one of the regular buses. After the first year, most students live in a shared house in the city, and so you get a really nice mix of campus/city living.

I would also look really carefully at the course content of both programmes - you are going to be spending much of your time at university studying and so it is really important that you are really interested in the course you choose.

Hope that helps a bit - if you do have any questions that I can help with, let me know!

Good luck with your decision! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending