The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know whether I want to go to Bath now after reading this thread!
It seems to me that lots of people care about status and rankings...I only want a uni that I can get the most out of, I don't really care if its ranked 10th or whatnot, I'm just thankful for the offer from Bath as I'm just a common girl who works hard to get where I am today...
Besides, I don't think I will be able to go to Bath because I will be too poor, how stupid is that?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 81
i clicked this thread thinking it was going to be 'shall I have a bath or not' lol!
Original post by hollybanolly
It seems to me that lots of people care about status and rankings...I only want a uni that I can get the most out of, I don't really care if its ranked 10th or whatnot, I'm just thankful for the offer from Bath as I'm just a common girl who works hard to get where I am today...
Besides, I don't think I will be able to go to Bath because I will be too poor, how stupid is that?

Most people at Bath are here not because of its ranking (most started when it wasn't as high as it is this year) but because we know it's an excellent learning environment.
What's the money situation like? We do have some bursaries and scholarships, check them out.
Reply 83

While status and rankings must be taken with a pinch of salt don't undervalue it either. A uni gets a status and ranking for a reason. Univ of Bath is not a univ living on its laurels. It has been steadily climbing the ladder of status and rankings. I would see this as a sign that they are working towards providing an all rounded univ experience with a qualification valued in the work environment. This should be valued when choosing where to study. Best of luck in your life's efforts.

Hi hollybanolly

Please don't think that you can't come to Bath for financial reasons. Have you taken a look at the bursaries and fee waivers that you may be eligible for? There are bursaries worth up to £3000 a year and scholarships worth up to £5000 a year, that you may be eligible for. As you are an offer-holder, you will be getting an email in the next day about the funding schemes on offer. For more detail, you can look at our webpages: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/funding

If you wanted to support yourself while you are studying, there are lots of jobs available on campus and in the city. I used to employ about 100 students a year to work as Ambassadors for the university, which not only pays well but provides excellent experience for your CV. The Student Union has a jobshop: http://www.bathstudent.com/joblink/ to help you find part-time work while you are studying. If you do decide to come to Bath, it's a good idea to look at this website before you arrive as some jobs recruit in the first few weeks of term.

Student Services also has a Student Funding Advice team (http://www.bath.ac.uk/studentservices/money-service/), who can provide support and guidance to students who are concerned about their finances, and who also administer the Access to Learning Fund http://www.bath.ac.uk/studentservices/money-service/funds/alf.html, which is there to help students who find themselves in financial difficulty.

It is also worth doing some research into whether you would be eligible for any grants from external organisations or benefactors. This website is a good place to start looking: http://www.family-action.org.uk/section.aspx?id=21211

Hope that helps a bit? If you have any questions, please do let me know. :smile:
Reply 85
Interesting thread,
Overall i can conclude that Bath is a top university however not as good as the 3 elite (Oxford, Cambridge and LSE) and maybe others.

I'm thinking of applying for a Business Administration degree at Bath. Does anyone know anything about this the main thing attracting me is the placement year. What sort of companies employ you?
Just gonna put it out there that bath is great for chemical engineering
Original post by Spartz
Interesting thread,
Overall i can conclude that Bath is a top university however not as good as the 3 elite (Oxford, Cambridge and LSE) and maybe others.

I'm thinking of applying for a Business Administration degree at Bath. Does anyone know anything about this the main thing attracting me is the placement year. What sort of companies employ you?

One of my friends' friends is at L'Oreal on her BBA placement at the moment.
Reply 88
Really? That's quite interesting
What sort of stuff are they doing there and does she enjoy it?

Quick Reply

Latest