The Student Room Group

PPE offers for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by an drej
i'm firming york too, now we can have our arguments vis a vis

I misunderstood you in that other thread, I don't think we'll have too much to argue about :tongue:
Reply 441
Original post by Redolent
I misunderstood you in that other thread, I don't think we'll have too much to argue about :tongue:

that could be boring though. the more contrasting our opinions, the more interesting(and important with regard to theory) the conversation. why live at peace when we could argue i say, i'm a nice continental guy, love my dialectics :cool:
Original post by an drej
that could be boring though. the more contrasting our opinions, the more interesting(and important with regard to theory) the conversation. why live at peace when we could argue i say, i'm a nice continental guy, love my dialectics :cool:

There will plenty of time for establishing rivalries when we are actually at university :lol:

You will have to settle for being on good terms for now :colone:
Reply 443
Hi guys... Just received an offer to read PPE at Warwick but I also have an offer from UCL to read Politics & Eastern European studies ... Both ask for 38 IB. What would you choose and why?
Original post by Ayaaya
Hi guys... Just received an offer to read PPE at Warwick but I also have an offer from UCL to read Politics & Eastern European studies ... Both ask for 38 IB. What would you choose and why?

I would personally choose PPE at Warwick, but only because I'm extremely interested in doing PPE (I'd guess that most other posters here on the PPE thread will say the same!).

I would choose on the basis of which subject you'd like to study more. Which are you more interested in, PPE or Politics & Eastern European Studies?
Reply 445
Firming PPE at Durham. Don't know what to insure, only one I would consider going to has same entry requirements so it's risky! But I guess no point insuring a uni I have no real desire to go to!

Original post by Ayaaya

And have you visited both? Very different atmospheres I found, and depends whether you think you'd like the London city life vs a campus university.
Original post by Mouth
Firming PPE at Durham. Don't know what to insure, only one I would consider going to has same entry requirements so it's risky! But I guess no point insuring a uni I have no real desire to go to!

Oh...I did this. :colondollar: I insured Lancaster because it was the only one with a lower entry requirement than my firm (Oxford), even though I don't particularly want to go there. I liked Warwick and York more, but they both gave higher/the same offers and I doubted that either of them would be very lenient.

Which ones are you considering for your insurance?
Reply 447
Original post by Koalagate
Oh...I did this. :colondollar: I insured Lancaster because it was the only one with a lower entry requirement than my firm (Oxford), even though I don't particularly want to go there. I liked Warwick and York more, but they both gave higher/the same offers and I doubted that either of them would be very lenient.

Either Lancaster or Warwick, so same position as you really. I just can't see myself at Lancaster and I would be happy at Warwick, so I guess I should just insure Warwick with the very small hope they will take me If I miss my grades!
But I really really don't want to go on a gap year too. Arhhh decisions!
Original post by Mouth
Either Lancaster or Warwick, so same position as you really. I just can't see myself at Lancaster and I would be happy at Warwick, so I guess I should just insure Warwick with the very small hope they will take me If I miss my grades!

Hmm, I wouldn't hold out much hope as I think Warwick are pretty harsh on missed grades, but you might as well if you're sure you wouldn't want to go to Lancaster. To be honest, I'm still not really sure what I'll do if I miss my grades because I have no back up plan at all. I just try to avoid thinking about it too much. :wink:
Reply 449
Original post by Mouth

And have you visited both? Very different atmospheres I found, and depends whether you think you'd like the London city life vs a campus university.

I haven't been to either uni, but I'm going to in May. I am more interested in PPE however I've heard Warwick is a bit dull. Not sure what to expect from the campus life.
Reply 450
Original post by Koalagate

Just thought I'd say, I'm in almost exactly the same position. Firming Oxford, insuring Lancaster, would much rather have york as an insurance...
Reply 451
Original post by Redolent
Almost certainly firming York, and I'm planning to go for Derwent as well

Original post by an drej
i'm firming york too

I firmed York as well but not going for Derwent. I was thinking about Vanbrugh
Reply 452
Hey guys just wondering, how hard is it to get into Warwick PPE and UCL Politics? Which is more competitive?
Original post by Mouth

At the open day the Warwick admissions tutors made it sound like it was fairly probable they'd give you a place with AAA if you miss your offer. Also, out of interest, what are your reasons for firming Durham over Warwick?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 454
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
At the open day the Warwick admissions tutors made it sound like it was fairly probable they'd give you a place with AAA if you miss your offer. Also, out of interest, what are your reasons for firming Durham over Warwick?

Well I can only hope that Warwick may take me, but i've made it insurance like you said so I doubt they will take me if I don't get in to Durham.

I think it came down to where I can see my self living for 3 years, and Durham just appealed to me a lot more, I much prefer the city based unis and love Durham's collegiate system. Both their courses had their strengths and weaknesses and I probably would have put Warwick ahead of Durham from a purely employability perspective.

Where are you firming/insuring? :smile:
Reply 455
Original post by Mouth
Well I can only hope that Warwick may take me, but i've made it insurance like you said so I doubt they will take me if I don't get in to Durham.

I think it came down to where I can see my self living for 3 years, and Durham just appealed to me a lot more, I much prefer the city based unis and love Durham's collegiate system. Both their courses had their strengths and weaknesses and I probably would have put Warwick ahead of Durham from a purely employability perspective.

Where are you firming/insuring? :smile:

I'm thinking of applying for PPE next year and probably applying to Warwick and Durham. I'd assumed Durham was better but people on here seem to be saying that the Warwick course is better. Can anyone tell me why? Is it better for employability or is there something else? Thanks.
Original post by LarrikinLibertine

I know off the top of my head, about 3 people (maybe a 4th) who they let in who missed their offers. One was AAB - but he had 10 A*s at GCSE, another was AAA - but he missed out on all of the A*s by a few UMS, another one was AAB - but he was from the Coventry area, they all had Warwick down as a firm. I am pretty sure most of the other 95 odd people met their offers.

Just to be clear, these people told me as opposed to me asking about, you can't even tell the difference between those who get 3 A*s and those who got AAB at university.

So, in conclusion, it is unlikely they will let you in if you haven't firmed them and even if you have, it's only if they have a good reason to let you in - just to fill up their places (so it won't be that many).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 457
Original post by Deep456
I know off the top of my head, about 3 people (maybe a 4th) who they let in who missed their offers. One was AAB - but he had 10 A*s at GCSE, another was AAA - but he missed out on all of the A*s by a few UMS, another one was AAB - but he was from the Coventry area, they all had Warwick down as a firm. I am pretty sure most of the other 95 odd people met their offers.

Just to be clear, these people told me as opposed to me asking about, you can't even tell the difference between those who get 3 A*s and those who got AAB at university.

So, in conclusion, it is unlikely they will let you in if you haven't firmed them and even if you have, it's only if they have a good reason to let you in - just to fill up their places (so it won't be that many).

Thanks for the insight, I suspected that was the case!
How are you finding Warwick ppe and just Warwick in general if you don't mind saying? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mouth
Thanks for the insight, I suspected that was the case!
How are you finding Warwick ppe and just Warwick in general if you don't mind saying? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a lot of work, I am just looking forward to ending the year/going home. Hopefully next year with more choice is better.
Reply 459
Original post by Deep456
It's a lot of work, I am just looking forward to ending the year/going home. Hopefully next year with more choice is better.

Enjoying the course at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending