The Student Room Group

What happens if you fail your University course?

Basically I'm currently a 2nd year Economics student & really struggling it's making me a bit depressed atm, I really regret taking a course that I don't really enjoy. I'm got like a mid 2:1 in my first year & for my Jan exams I got like 3rds & really don't have a bad feeling about some of my summer exams, will I get kicked out of Uni or moved on to a different/easier course? Do I need to talk to some kind of adviser? I'm fairly worried & somewhat stressing out but going on TSR can only make me forget my problems temporarily :redface:

Thank you for any help :hat2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah talk to an advisor, but make sure you make it sound like you're really struggling and mention the depression thing otherwise they'll treat you like **** thinking that you're just being lazy and wasting their time.
If you fail a year, what happens depends on your university. Usually you'll get one chance to resit (in August, probably) but your marks will be capped at 40% (i.e. you can only get a 3rd). If you fail that, then you have to retake the year (or drop out).

You have to consider whether you would be better off not giving in and pushing on till the end, so you do as well as you possibly can, or whether it would be best to drop out now and start something else. Presumably you're already 2/3 of the way through your degree and if you dropped out, would you regret it?
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Yeah talk to an advisor, but make sure you make it sound like you're really struggling and mention the depression thing otherwise they'll treat you like **** thinking that you're just being lazy and wasting their time.
Ok thanks :smile: I find it hard to get motivated but it's probably to do with not finding the course as interesting as I'd like, but I do struggle to understand certain concepts/absorb/remember it when I'm revising though & it can get really frustrating & somewhat depressing.
Original post by Rascacielos
If you fail a year, what happens depends on your university. Usually you'll get one chance to resit (in August, probably) but your marks will be capped at 40% (i.e. you can only get a 3rd). If you fail that, then you have to retake the year (or drop out).

You have to consider whether you would be better off not giving in and pushing on till the end, so you do as well as you possibly can, or whether it would be best to drop out now and start something else. Presumably you're already 2/3 of the way through your degree and if you dropped out, would you regret it?
The best option for me would probably be to go on to a different course tbh if that's feasible, I mean I wanted an Economics degree but the simple matter of fact is I just find it too hard at the end of the day. I know my parents will probably be disappointed in me, but yeah it's my life at the end of the day. I don't want to make myself miserable lol :tongue:
Original post by Multitalented me
The best option for me would probably be to go on to a different course tbh if that's feasible, I mean I wanted an Economics degree but the simple matter of fact is I just find it too hard at the end of the day. I know my parents will probably be disappointed in me, but yeah it's my life at the end of the day. I don't want to make myself miserable lol :tongue:

It is your life and if people don't respect your decision, then that's too bad for them.

However, I would urge you to think carefully about dropping out. You only have a year left to go and you would most likely be in a better position in June 2014 if you stick at it, than you would be if you dropped out.
Original post by Rascacielos
It is your life and if people don't respect your decision, then that's too bad for them.

However, I would urge you to think carefully about dropping out. You only have a year left to go and you would most likely be in a better position in June 2014 if you stick at it, than you would be if you dropped out.
Well if I carry on I probably won't get any better then like a 3rd. If you do a degree but then get a rubbish classification Uni just seems to be a waste of time & money, I don't exactly have a good social life easier which doesn't help. Reckon I need to speak to an adviser or someone for some guidance, because at the moment I just fear for my future & feel somewhat trapped with no light at the end of the tunnel :afraid:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
Well if I carry on I probably won't get any better then like a 3rd. If you do a degree but then get a rubbish classification Uni just seems to be a waste of time & money, I don't exactly have a good social life easier which doesn't help. Reckon I need to speak to an adviser or someone for some guidance, because at the moment I just fear for my future & feel somewhat trapped with no light at the end of the tunnel :afraid:

I think it's a good idea to talk to someone. Also, make your decision after you've done your exams: everyone gets stressed around this time and most people have probably wondered whether it would be better to drop out (I know I have!).

Quick Reply