The Student Room Group

Belfast Met

Im thinking of applying to do a HND at Belfast Met and i was wonderin what its like.
any help will be much appreciated
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

It's a pretty badly organised place, at least for A levels anyway.

Might not be so bad for other courses, I have no experience of them.
Reply 2
Im doing an access course there at present ... tutors are great , course is great, heard you can get a few twits for tutors tho .. it can b a bit crap for being organised as in sep we had our rooms double booked so we ended up fighting for a room, that wasnt tutors faults mangement was to blame.... all in all i woud recomend it .. im at castlereagh campus whichs canteen is overpriced! lol xx
Sounds exactly like the tech im at now then lol
i wanted to go to uni this year but the grades arent lookin so good so belfast mets the second choice really
Reply 4
well i hope you get sorted, i would say to go for it like :biggrin:
Reply 5
What are you looking to do? I have just completed my HND at Belfast Met in Computing. I aso agree with the Castlereagh Campus prices lol done media there before and the canteen is a rip.
Reply 6
Done my A levels (and a GNVQ) there years ago. Badly organised, but tutors know their stuff and I preferred it rather than going to going six form. The guy who taught me film studies was an industry professional which I'd not have got in school, and the Politics tutor was a legend, had more experience than any secondary school teacher Ive known.
Jim-ie
Done my A levels (and a GNVQ) there years ago. Badly organised, but tutors know their stuff and I preferred it rather than going to going six form. The guy who taught me film studies was an industry professional which I'd not have got in school, and the Politics tutor was a legend, had more experience than any secondary school teacher Ive known.

Who was your politics tutor?
Reply 8
Eric Arthur
Who was your politics tutor?

Phil
Jim-ie
Phil

Ah, never had him. I had Bobby. Bobby was awesome.

And Eamon for history was pretty great too.
Reply 10
Eric Arthur
Ah, never had him. I had Bobby. Bobby was awesome.

And Eamon for history was pretty great too.

I had Veronica for history. Not sure who Eamon is, been a long time.
I did my HND in sports in millfield tech, and I have to say millfield is more organised than the blackman tech.

And I thought the tutors were amazing in BMC, its not as bad as people make it out and doesnt lower standards, as I know loads of people thought they were the bees balls going to QUB then didnt have the brains to get into the 2nd year lol

Trust me tech is a good bridge to a degree if your doing a HND
Im currently at Belfast Met for an access course in humanities. I think it's great tbh :biggrin: Tutors are great and very helpful. Best decision I ever made :biggrin:
I went to Belfast Met for three years, loved every second of it. I'm at Uni now (First year) but I'm hoping to leave at the end of June and go back in September to BMC to do an HND.
Reply 14
Original post by MysteryPass
I went to Belfast Met for three years, loved every second of it. I'm at Uni now (First year) but I'm hoping to leave at the end of June and go back in September to BMC to do an HND.

I'm at BMC and have been since September 2009. best place I have attended ever and I have been to 8 different educational establishments. I'm at uni as well, bmc part time. dont want to leave lol. queens just doesnt compare for me. Graduating from BMC in November 2014.
Reply 15
I'm currently studying a HND in Electrical / Electronic Engineering at Millfield. To be fair regarding the Engineering it is a bit of a joke. Id say only 3 of my lecturers are really helpful, others aren't. They can't seem to get highly qualified lecturers to come and teach in the place. My Maths lecturer is the only one with a Doctorate. Others only have a Degree. One lecturer in my first year was trying to teach us while still studying for his own Degree at Jordanstown, ridiculous.

If you want to really study Engineering, you need to be doing it 4 or 5 days a week to really cover a lot of theory and practical exercises which is what University does. The HND is limited to what it can cover compared to the likes of Queens. I'm only in 2 and a 1/2 days a week. Not complaining about it but I would rather be in more doing practical work. The only way you will learn the stuff. Biffy has limited facilities for carrying out Project work. The new E3 Building opened last year so it will more than likely be used for future Engineering / Construction Students to carry out Project work.

Would I recommend it? Yes and No.

If anybody really wants to study Engineering but struggles with Maths then I would recommend doing the National Diploma or the HND before embarking with University. These courses will start you at the real basic Analytical / Electronic Maths so you can get more time to look at it and understand it instead of having a million equations fired at you in Uni. The lower courses will help a lot in that respect.

Again people who are a wiz at Maths, want to study Engineering and have good A Levels in Maths / Physics ect then I would just go straight to University as it wouldn't be a problem!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm studying A level biology and chemistry there at the minute. Due to finish in June! (hopefully)
The Titanic Quarter is 'alright'. Be prepared in winter though, it gets hellish windy!
Titanic Quarter building is all very posh and fancy, however last year (the first year the building was open) the roof blew off and they have a leaky window on the ground floor corridor towards the exam hall.
Due to the building being rented now, Belfast Met requires 'all' the classrooms to be in use all times during the day. Because of this, especially for A Levels I don't know about HND, the classes are at very funny times during the day. However, HND you'd be studying a lot more so the class times shouldn't be as random.
The tutors at tech are 50/50 chance of getting a good one. I was very lucky.
Beware of the college system called 'Blackboard'. It goes down regularly at the most inappropriate times and therefore you can't get to your college email. Email coursework in as soon as possible, because it'll go down just at the deadline.
If tutors are off sick they probably won't email you. So you have to make your way in to find out.
Canteen food is alright if not overpriced. 80p for a very small cup of tea. They do toast and breakfast which is good.
Library is alright. It's on two floors. There is a small 'quiet study' room with Macs.
Students Union is pretty poor I think. They do a few clubs like LGBT and Christian club and a few sports clubs.
There is a tannoy system which is highly annoying during class.
Titanic Quarter station is about a 5-10 minute walk away. Belfast City center is about 15 minutes. Odyssey Arena that has food shops is about 5 minutes down the road. The buses come every half an hour or 20 minutes.

This is all about the Titanic Quarter. I don't know about the other campuses.
My opinion: It's alright but frankly I dread going in everyday and I don't hang about long so I can leave as soon as possible after class. But other people tend to really enjoy the place.
Reply 17
Original post by Enirehtac
I'm studying A level biology and chemistry there at the minute. Due to finish in June! (hopefully)
The Titanic Quarter is 'alright'. Be prepared in winter though, it gets hellish windy!
Titanic Quarter building is all very posh and fancy, however last year (the first year the building was open) the roof blew off and they have a leaky window on the ground floor corridor towards the exam hall.
Due to the building being rented now, Belfast Met requires 'all' the classrooms to be in use all times during the day. Because of this, especially for A Levels I don't know about HND, the classes are at very funny times during the day. However, HND you'd be studying a lot more so the class times shouldn't be as random.
The tutors at tech are 50/50 chance of getting a good one. I was very lucky.
Beware of the college system called 'Blackboard'. It goes down regularly at the most inappropriate times and therefore you can't get to your college email. Email coursework in as soon as possible, because it'll go down just at the deadline.
If tutors are off sick they probably won't email you. So you have to make your way in to find out.
Canteen food is alright if not overpriced. 80p for a very small cup of tea. They do toast and breakfast which is good.
Library is alright. It's on two floors. There is a small 'quiet study' room with Macs.
Students Union is pretty poor I think. They do a few clubs like LGBT and Christian club and a few sports clubs.
There is a tannoy system which is highly annoying during class.
Titanic Quarter station is about a 5-10 minute walk away. Belfast City center is about 15 minutes. Odyssey Arena that has food shops is about 5 minutes down the road. The buses come every half an hour or 20 minutes.

This is all about the Titanic Quarter. I don't know about the other campuses.
My opinion: It's alright but frankly I dread going in everyday and I don't hang about long so I can leave as soon as possible after class. But other people tend to really enjoy the place.

What kin of grades to people get in belfast met doing A levels?
Reply 18
Original post by squirtle_x
What kin of grades to people get in belfast met doing A levels?

I got AAAACCCC AS and AABBCC A2 so good enough. Depends if the person works at it or not. People have went on to do medicine and dentistry and some have came in with 3 Us and brought them up to Ds. There's a lot do a levels in the college. I heard it's oversubscribed each year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by cdoyle
I got AAAACCCC AS and AABBCC A2 so good enough. Depends if the person works at it or not. People have went on to do medicine and dentistry and some have came in with 3 Us and brought them up to Ds. There's a lot do a levels in the college. I heard it's oversubscribed each year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You done 8 AS's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest