The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Biology BY2 - 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sanabanana
Ahh I you sure?! I can't remember and only got out 30mins ago hahaha. Hope so!

Yes, 100% :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by imgonnafail
The source (leaves) sends photosynthates to the sink (roots and growing parts of the plant) so if the growing parts are removed then all the photosynthates that would have been used for growth are sent to the roots instead for storage but they obviously cant reach the roots so they accumulate in the form of a bulge above where the tissue was removed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I put as well! Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Beths_7
What did everyone write for the last question - the ringing experiments question? The part where it asked you why the sucrose concentration would increase if the growing shoots were removed

I put because sucorse is not being used up the the growing shoots, more of it is measured at the ring. The same amount is produced in the leaves but less is used up, therefore more is measured than when the shoots were there.
I'm not sure if that's right at all, but it's what I put :L
Reply 43
This is what I can remember !

plantea
annelid
chordat e
insect
fungi and protocista
cell wall made of chitin
unicellular organism
explain transpiration:
countercurrent
parallel
explain Etc...

Label letters! Did u put pancrease lipase produced?
Heterotrophic nutrition.
Explain adaptation:

gut
4 chamber sstomach cellulose digestion .. Long gut large surf area... Mutalism

Leabel phloem small one xylem big one
Stem does not have endodermis & vascular bundle arrange centrally midrib
All that sucrose question :/
Reply 44
Did anyone do the essay question on reproductive adaptations for on land? I talked and birds and reptiles, their eggs (reduce water loss, protection), internal fertilisation (more chance of fertilisation) and external development and mammals and their internal fertilisation (more chance of gametes>zygote) internal development (protection, no risk of dehydration) and then talked about how some animals have lots of young and some and a few. Then how amphibians have not adapted much and still reproduce in a way similarly to fish.
What did you put? I found trying to write what the question wanted pretty hard! :s-smilie:
Reply 45
Original post by S_1994

plantea
annelid
chordat e
insect
fungi and protocista
cell wall made of chitin
unicellular organism
explain transpiration:
countercurrent
parallel
explain Etc...

Label letters! Did u put pancrease lipase produced?
Heterotrophic nutrition.
Explain adaptation:

gut

Leabel phloem small one xylem big one
Stem does not have endodermis & vascular bundle arrange centrally midrib
All that sucrose question :/

there was a question about heterotrophs??
Reply 46
Original post by mli26
there was a question about heterotrophs??

It just had that big!!! Herbivore picture & state type of nutrition i put heterotrophic nutrition (eat plant) part holozic feeders

dont knw! Ha!!
Reply 47
Original post by S_1994

Explain adaptation:

gut

For the gut question all i put was it's long because cellulose is hard to digest so it provides more time for digestion to take place :s-smilie: Isn't the gut the small intestine? I thought the question was only two marks!
Original post by Thursfield
Did anyone do the essay question on reproductive adaptations for on land? I talked and birds and reptiles, their eggs (reduce water loss, protection), internal fertilisation (more chance of fertilisation) and external development and mammals and their internal fertilisation (more chance of gametes>zygote) internal development (protection, no risk of dehydration) and then talked about how some animals have lots of young and some and a few. Then how amphibians have not adapted much and still reproduce in a way similarly to fish.
What did you put? I found trying to write what the question wanted pretty hard! :s-smilie:

I did the same and basically wrote the same as you but I was happy reproduction came up. I just went over external fertilisation and how internal was better and then advantages of internal development over eggs and stuff. That was the only part of the exam I feel ok with

My teacher did not teach us about sucrose thing in plants at all! I had to make that up! And I forgot how big a herbivores gut was whether it was small or large I went completely blank:s-smilie:
Reply 49
Original post by S_1994
It just had that big!!! Herbivore picture & state type of nutrition i put heterotrophic nutrition (eat plant) part holozic feeders

dont knw! Ha!!

Woops, I put herbivore:frown:
Original post by S_1994

dont knw! Ha!!

Oh I put 'herbivore' :confused:
Original post by mli26
Woops, I put herbivore:frown:

Everyone I know put herbivore apart from one who said omnivore by mistake
Reply 52
I think the source of energy for the water in the xylem is sunlight but I put root pressure:/
Reply 53
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Oh I put 'herbivore' :confused:

I put that originally since it was showing a picture of the dentition of a herbivor, but since it said 'mode of nutrition' I think it was looking for hetertrophic, so I came back to it and wrote that. It was misleading but I think it wanted you to regognise the fact the image showed bones adapted to digestion, not photosynthesising like an autotroph :
Reply 54
I put herbivore
Long gut
Bacteria in rumen/colon

Energy source: sunlight

Labels: C KF C E F J

I didn't understand the ringing question?
I wrote sucrose moves from source to sink, so leaf to root. But the ring decreases the cross sectional area of the phloem and reduces the flow as not much can pass through. There's fore it accumulate above the ring???
We didn't get taught it very well, does that sound good?
Reply 55
Original post by S_1994

dont knw! Ha!!

I thought it was herbivore too..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you guys put fungi and protoctista for the two organisms which they had a picture of??
Reply 57
Original post by Thursfield
For the gut question all i put was it's long because cellulose is hard to digest so it provides more time for digestion to take place :s-smilie: Isn't the gut the small intestine? I thought the question was only two marks!

I put the same, I thought it was just that as it was two marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by mli26
I think the source of energy for the water in the xylem is sunlight but I put root pressure:/

I put 'ATP from photosynthesis in the leaves'
I wasnt sure whether to put ATP, photosynthesis or leaves so I kinda wrote all of them, haha ... I hope I get a mark if one of those is right.
Reply 59
what do people think the grade boundaries will be like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending