AQA A Psychology AS PSYA1 PSYA2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by kk_15
Haha :biggrin:
Your very welcome. Good luck tomorrow!

thank you!! same to you!! youll do great :colondollar:
Reply 1681
"Discuss the effects of workplace stress including job control and workload" 12/12 ( some grammatical errors as I wrote it via voice command on my phone to save time since i didn't type the essay on word, I handed it in on paper- apologies)
marmot et al (1997) conducted a longitudinal study investigating the job strain model in which 7273 civil servants agreed to complete a questionnaire on workload, job control, and the amount of social support received from others. The researchers also tested the participants for signs of cardiovascular disease. Five years later the participants were reassessed to see if their health status had changed. Marmot et al found no link between high workload and stress related illness, suggesting that workload was not a significant factor in the development of stress related illness.
They did however find that civil servants in higher grades developed the fewest cardiovascular disease cases compare to the lower grade civil servants who developed the most. Results also showed that higher grade civil servants reported greater levels of control over their work and good levels of social support Contrasted to the lower levels of control and social support reported by the lower grade civil servants. These findings provide partial support for the job strain model.

This study does show a strong link between levels of job control and social support affecting job strain, however although the sample size used was large, the findings cannot be generalised as it is not a representative sample of the general population as the participants are all civil servants, and most likely helpful civil servant as they are taking part in a survey which was optional. The results collected cannot be classified as empirical as the question quality is unknown and the results are subjective. Due to the fact that the study was longitudinal, there will most likely be mediating factors which may have influenced the final result as well as lack of control over extraneous variable, thus preventing the researcher distinguishing a direction of causation. I.e. work-related stress may have caused a participant to start smoking which in turn causes cardiovascular disease.
Another study conducted by Johansson et al (1978) found that "finishers" had higher levels of stress hormones on workdays then on rest days, Which was a lot higher than the cleaners.

It was also found that finishers had higher levels of absenteeism. Thus showing (and suggesting) that performing repetitive jobs that require high levels of attention and responsibility are related to stress related illness. Providing support for the idea proposed by Marmot et al low job control has an impact on the development of stress related illness.
Johansson's results however, showed that the combination of low job control and high responsibility are linked to stress related illness, not low levels of control alone.
Individual differences however, do have to be considered when looking at workplace stressors as it is solely down to the individual whether or not they perceive something to be particularly stressful . Research by Schaubroek found that lack of job control is responded to differently by some workers in that they suffer less stressed by having no control over responsibility.
A major issue concerning evaluating workplace stress is the fact that role conflict can often be overlooked and not considered as being a major contributor in the cases of workplace stress. Pamaki et al conducted correlational study to investigate the effect of role conflict in 226 hospital doctors. The results from this study indicated that role conflict was directly associated with emotional exhaustion, depressive symptoms and somatic complications.
However the results from the study can't be generalised as the sample does not represent the general population and the direction of causation is not known.

Collectively, these studies show that effects of stress on individuals physical and psychological well-being depends on factors such as the individuals ability to cope, their level of control and responsibility over their job, their own personal perception of a stressor and the social support available to them.
Original post by Jay95
I was not taught any studies for the BEHAVIOURAL APPROACH !

can someone pls outline some studies and evalustions ?

Little Albert by watson and Rayner
He was classically conditioned in to being afraid of a white rat by associating it with loud noises. He was not originally afraid of rats only loud noises.
This lead to him not only being afraid of the white rat but other white fluffy things such as cotton wool.
Reply 1683
Original post by kk_15
Hi, I don't mean to sound rude but how are you going to remember ALL of that in the exam? You should consider condensing it down alot... I've done this question and didn't even have to use the extra space and my teacher awarded 11 marks. :s-smilie:

yeah I tend to bulk out my essays for class as I remember information by getting it correct, in the exam I am far more able to condense my information as I remember what I read :P this only took me like 30-45 minutes haha
Reply 1684
If we were asked to outline and evaluate daily hassles and uplifts as a source of stress, would we need to define what hassles and uplifts are or go straight in with what the scale itself is?
Reply 1685
for social change can we just talk about examples of change like the suffragettes or civil rights movement instead of learning studies and research???
Original post by clare_cornwell
yeah I tend to bulk out my essays for class as I remember information by getting it correct, in the exam I am far more able to condense my information as I remember what I read :P this only took me like 30-45 minutes haha

Just checking... I know someone in my class went as far as requesting additional answer sheets in the PSYA1 exam in January for the privation 12-mark question. When the teacher got the breakdown of the marks, they were only awarded 5 marks. No idea what they went on so much about LOL :')
Reply 1687
Original post by Jay95
I was not taught any studies for the BEHAVIOURAL APPROACH !

can someone pls outline some studies and evalustions ?

a study is little albert - he was taught to fear a rat by associating it with the dear he showed in response to a loud noise.
evaluation--
scientific and testable as its based on evidence from controlled lab experiments
practical applications as effective treatments such as flooding have been developed because of this
but its a reductionist explanation as it reduces the causes of abnormality to learning so therefore ignores biological and cognitive factors
Reply 1688
Original post by Kenny Loftun
Thats more than 1000 words (way too much). You only need to write about 300 words to get full marks

haha I know I over write a lot when I am not under pressure but Im not worried about the exam nor the 12 marker as I can condense my information drastically when it comes to timed conditions as well as after revision :tongue: it all just comes to me in the exam/ mocks even without revision so m not feeling worried about remembering it but hanks any way :biggrin:
Reply 1689
Original post by Rudi123
If we were asked to outline and evaluate daily hassles and uplifts as a source of stress, would we need to define what hassles and uplifts are or go straight in with what the scale itself is?

do both for example
for each event the person must rate them as either as something that causes them stress (a hassle) or something that makes them happy (an uplift)
Reply 1690
Original post by kk_15
Just checking... I know someone in my class went as far as requesting additional answer sheets in the PSYA1 exam in January for the privation 12-mark question. When the teacher got the breakdown of the marks, they were only awarded 5 marks. No idea what they went on so much about LOL :')

oh m god! that's so unfortunate!!
thanks any way! I'm fine with psychology and (personally) found January a breeze with very little revision beforehand :tongue:
Reply 1691
Original post by gloriousgloria
How did this get 11/12? o.O I would of thought it to be 12 out 12, but slightly too much for a 12 marker?? I don't think I can write this much in half an hour let alone 12 or 15 mins :tongue:

Reply 1692
just finished my revision cards for stress now need to do them for abnormality and stress. im hoping this will help me remember them. im going to look at them all day and try to put them into my head. is there any good techniques other than look/cover/check aha
Reply 1693
Original post by katiekarnif
do both for example
for each event the person must rate them as either as something that causes them stress (a hassle) or something that makes them happy (an uplift)

Cool thank ya
Reply 1694
Original post by clare_cornwell
oh m god! that's so unfortunate!!
thanks any way! I'm fine with psychology and (personally) found January a breeze with very little revision beforehand :tongue:

same except this unit is quite deep and there are much more names and studies. im struggling abit. i found janurary a breeze and got an A but im quite worried i havent done enough revision for this. care to share some of the reasons you pick it up so easily? or is it just natural talent?
Reply 1695
Is Locus of Control linked with conformity or obedience? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1696
Original post by SMASTER1
Is Locus of Control linked with conformity or obedience? Thanks :smile:

its linked to independent behaviour - why people resist pressures to conform and pressures to obey authority.
hope it helped:smile:
Reply 1697
i thought Milgram was conformity?
Reply 1698
Original post by katiekarnif
same except this unit is quite deep and there are much more names and studies. im struggling abit. i found janurary a breeze and got an A but im quite worried i havent done enough revision for this. care to share some of the reasons you pick it up so easily? or is it just natural talent?
I would if I knew how... its the only subject where it just goes in and literally stays there! I don't quite understand it my self! I managed to get the highest of 2 A grades in my year group in January, I couldn't believe it! same with the jan13 unit 2 mock we did... it could be because I make sure I answer a lot of questions and have been interested in psychology for a while but other than that I have no clue... also the mini companion revision guide is a life saver!
Ok so this is apparently,the criteria for failure to function adequately is..
personal distress
Maladaptive behaviour
Irrationality
Unpredictability
Observer discomfort
Violation of moral standards

Would anyone kindly give some examples of these, confudled.
:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending