St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welsh Lady
Hello there!

I'm afraid I have got quite an embarrassing problem :frown:
I have created my password for the IT services and despite
having written it down immediately it doesn't work
when I try to log into this SaintMail thingy.

What should I do now? :afraid:

Thanks a million!!!

Think this happens quite often so it might just be an activation issue (I ain't sure), I'd email the uni to let them know though.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 7981
Hey students from St Andrews

I am looking forward to study Economics and Management at St Andrews. I am a EU national and would like to know whether these two schools have a lot of international students.

Furthermore I asked the admissions office, whether I can be able to take IR as third subject. The answer between words like competitive and over-subscribed was that there is a ballot system. They do not answer how it works. Does anybody know?

I would choose St Andrews because of it's degree flexibility (I am not sure which subject to take) - but it seems to me that it is not easy or possible to transfer to IR. Any experience?

Finally, there are some really good exchange universities in the US - will it be hard to get a place?

Thanks a lot!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi all!

Just a quick question: how's the Saints Sport gym like? Just wondering, is it really busy? How's the equipment like?
I understood it's undergoing some works and new equipment is being added, but I'd like to know how people using the fitness suite have been getting on.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures or that much info online :frown: , so I'd appreciate any insights into this!

Thanks!
Reply 7983
Original post by morbiddy
Hi all!

Just a quick question: how's the Saints Sport gym like? Just wondering, is it really busy? How's the equipment like?
I understood it's undergoing some works and new equipment is being added, but I'd like to know how people using the fitness suite have been getting on.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures or that much info online :frown: , so I'd appreciate any insights into this!

Thanks!

The gym is pretty decent, you have one large room full of cardio equipment, in total about 15 machines that contain a mix of bikes, treadmills, cross-trainers and rowing machines. Then there is a room with resistance machines, around 7-8 stations and then finally there are two other rooms, one with free weights, one benching station and a few other adjustable seats, and the last room has just got barbell stations that allow you to do barbell squats or pull-ups (there are about 6 of these stations).

Its a good size but it does get busy at certain times.

Hope this helps.
Reply 7985
Original post by tommy-!
Hey students from St Andrews

I am looking forward to study Economics and Management at St Andrews. I am a EU national and would like to know whether these two schools have a lot of international students.

Furthermore I asked the admissions office, whether I can be able to take IR as third subject. The answer between words like competitive and over-subscribed was that there is a ballot system. They do not answer how it works. Does anybody know?

I would choose St Andrews because of it's degree flexibility (I am not sure which subject to take) - but it seems to me that it is not easy or possible to transfer to IR. Any experience?

Finally, there are some really good exchange universities in the US - will it be hard to get a place?

Thanks a lot!!

Yes, there are a lot of international students in Econ and Management, but then to be honest, there are a lot of international students everywhere.

I'm not entirely sure that they tell you how the ballot system works exactly. If you want it as a third subject you would tell your advisor in september and thus get entered into the ballot system. I assume they randomly select people and email you if you got in or not. I'd think you would have to meet IR's admission criteria as well though and I'm not sure if choosing it as a third subject would have an impact as opposed to choosing it as a second? That said, most people I know who wanted to take IR did get in. (A lot dropped it after the first week as well though)
The IR department is always oversubscribed and as such always looks to cut down its numbers in first year. Unless it's your main degree course I wouldn't take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7987
How competitive is physics? :smile:
Reply 7988
Hello!!

Is there anyone studying MRes management??
I'm thinking of applying there for 2014 and I could really use some advice!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 7989
Going to follow the crowd here :L...how competitive is Psychology (particularly Bsc)
Reply 7990
I would love to study computer science at this uni! But during my first year in college I suffered from Glandular Fever and so basically I was too ill to do well in them. I've had to re-sit the year. Will the fact that I've done loads of resits affect chance of getting into this uni?
Original post by Emilar
I would love to study computer science at this uni! But during my first year in college I suffered from Glandular Fever and so basically I was too ill to do well in them. I've had to re-sit the year. Will the fact that I've done loads of resits affect chance of getting into this uni?

Generally any university won't discriminate against people on medical grounds. Provided you submit a letter from your doctor or similar you shouldn't be disadvantaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just about to go into S5 and I've been considering applying for 2014 entry as I've just attended a summer school at St Andrews University and I realised that I really want to study at St Andrews because quite simply, I love the place. I'm also experiencing a major letdown because while I was there I was shown just how great life could be at university and all the fun and opportunities you get but now back home I have nothing to look forward to at school and it's depressing thinking of all the time I have to wait before I can go back as a proper student and where I live in comparison to St Andrews (it's so beautiful!!!). This got me into thinking about S5 entry but I don't know whether I'll stand a chance of getting into the MPhys Physics course with only predicted grades (I would obviously write as good a personal statement as I could and hope for a great reference) which would most likely be AAAAAA or whether I should just wait until S6 so I can get more grades, more work experience etc. Also in S6 I have a good chance of becoming the Dux of my school and St Andrews offers a scholarship of £7500 a year if you are the Dux of a Fife school (I live in Fife) which would make uni a whole lot easierand makes me think do I tough it out for another year and possibly get a great scholarship (if I get a place that is) or do I just say f*** it and apply in S5?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Emilar

No, this would not affect your chances of receiving an offer. If you believe that you will meet our entry requirements, and have a good personal statement, then you are encouraged to apply. You can find out more about how we make offers in the links in my signature.
I'm definitely applying here for Psychology 2014 Entry. What are the general experiences? I've heard that there's like a family thing? How does that get sorted out and what extra-curricular things are there?
Original post by kerrydouglas
I'm definitely applying here for Psychology 2014 Entry. What are the general experiences? I've heard that there's like a family thing? How does that get sorted out and what extra-curricular things are there?

yeah, we have academic families - these are sorted out in the first couple of weeks of semester 1, basically you get 'adopted' by students in third year or above (or second years if they're med students) and so you have an academic mum and an academic dad - and probably a whole extended academic family (for example, i have 2 mums, a dad, a stepdad, a brother and sister, 6 half sisters, 2 half brothers, 2 uncles, loadsss of aunts, cousins, grandparents...) you then get to know them - they'll invite you over, or you'll meet up at a pub, or something, a couple times in the first few months or so, all leading up to Raisin Weekend, which is held over the last weekend of october.

it generally starts early on the Sunday - you'll go to your mum's house, give her a bottle of wine, and she will have organised a tea party type thing and will have arranged loads of games/activities/drinking related things, and in the evening you'll then go on to your dad's house, and also give him a bottle of wine, and he'll have organised holds a big family party. then, on the monday morning, you'll go back to your mum's house, who will give you breakfast and then dress you up in some form of costume, and you'll go back to your dad's, who will give you your 'Raisin Receipt', which is meant to be an awkward object to hold (for example, the children in my family had to carry a homemade chariot down the streets, my friends were given condoms filled with water, frozen fish, some had to carry their dad!), and you'll all go merrily on down to St Salvator's Quad, and have a massive shaving foam fight. if you're lucky, your parents will let you shower off at their houses, because although the halls do try to prepare for the monday, you will undoubtedly have to wait for the shower when you get back!

sorry if that all sounds a bit confusing, it was honestly one of the funnest and weirdest weekends i've had so far! :smile:
Original post by laurie:)
yeah, we have academic families - these are sorted out in the first couple of weeks of semester 1, basically you get 'adopted' by students in third year or above (or second years if they're med students) and so you have an academic mum and an academic dad - and probably a whole extended academic family (for example, i have 2 mums, a dad, a stepdad, a brother and sister, 6 half sisters, 2 half brothers, 2 uncles, loadsss of aunts, cousins, grandparents...) you then get to know them - they'll invite you over, or you'll meet up at a pub, or something, a couple times in the first few months or so, all leading up to Raisin Weekend, which is held over the last weekend of october.

it generally starts early on the Sunday - you'll go to your mum's house, give her a bottle of wine, and she will have organised a tea party type thing and will have arranged loads of games/activities/drinking related things, and in the evening you'll then go on to your dad's house, and also give him a bottle of wine, and he'll have organised holds a big family party. then, on the monday morning, you'll go back to your mum's house, who will give you breakfast and then dress you up in some form of costume, and you'll go back to your dad's, who will give you your 'Raisin Receipt', which is meant to be an awkward object to hold (for example, the children in my family had to carry a homemade chariot down the streets, my friends were given condoms filled with water, frozen fish, some had to carry their dad!), and you'll all go merrily on down to St Salvator's Quad, and have a massive shaving foam fight. if you're lucky, your parents will let you shower off at their houses, because although the halls do try to prepare for the monday, you will undoubtedly have to wait for the shower when you get back!

sorry if that all sounds a bit confusing, it was honestly one of the funnest and weirdest weekends i've had so far! :smile:

Where do you stay during this weekend?? And how many children are there in the families?
Where do you stay during this weekend?? And how many children are there in the families?

When I was a first year I was in a family of 30 'children'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fair amount of people make it back to halls to stay in the comfort of their own room but some people don't make it home and end up staying at their parents. You'll find somewhere to sleep, don't worry :tongue:

On my dad's side I had 12 siblings but on my mum and other dad's side I was 1 of 4 which was quite a nice number when going for family meals and stuff. It was also good cause our mother dressed us up as a circus troop (I was a human cannon ball :cool:) It really depends on your parents tbh :tongue:
Reply 7999
Hey,I was wondering If there are any antique shop at St.Andrew,since I would love to buy some local antiques from there,love the antiques :tongue: Also how is the Lifesaving club,any experiences and opinions ?

Thanks a bunch :smile:

Latest