The Student Room Group

Speed camera + lines on the road

Can those yellow gatso cameras catch you speeding if you're not on the lines? It seems 90% of drivers slow down to the speed limit whilst going over the small dashes in the road, then speed up afterwards?

SO question is, can you get caught speeding if you're NOT on the lines? Obviously you can by speeding camera vans (mobile vans), but is there any other way?

Thanks
Reply 1
You can by the ones that use GPS instead of the lines (I may be wrong however its what I've been told before) I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kumori
You can by the ones that use GPS instead of the lines (I may be wrong however its what I've been told before) I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean radar? I've never heard of a GPS speed camera
Reply 3
Just checked and I may be wrong. If there is no lines it seems its not enforcible, well google search and read about it and I dunno what a GPS one is, I got told about them. Guess who told me made it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kumori
Just checked and I may be wrong. If there is no lines it seems its not enforcible, well google search and read about it and I dunno what a GPS one is, I got told about them. Guess who told me made it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey its called hand held laser gun camera or something may be the person said something like that but you understood different:colone:
Reply 5
Why do so many bother with this issue when its so easy to stick to the limits and not worry about it ?
Reply 6
The law requires automatic speed cameras to perform a "secondary check".

The GATSO lines do not have anything to do with the workings of the camera itself, it's just for this second check.

The camera takes two photos, usually 0.5 sec apart, and using this time and amount of lines travelled between the two photos (the distance between the lines being known), the speed can be manually worked out to check the reading from the camera is accurate.

Truvelo (the blue ones with three horizontal lines) work slightly differently, in that the camera pictures should show the car's front wheel on the middle line

In theory, if there are no lines, no secondary check can be performed and thus the speed camera evidence cannot be used against you. However, this would be a rather technical argument to put before a court and require knowledge/expertise/money, so unless you actually doubt the measurement, it'd be easier to take the £60 and 3 points.
Does anyone know the distance between the lines?
In Germany the Gatso has been over turned in courts were the calculated line speed does not back up the camera recording speed.
Reply 8
Original post by KenDalgarno
Does anyone know the distance between the lines?
In Germany the Gatso has been over turned in courts were the calculated line speed does not back up the camera recording speed.

This thread hasn't had a reply in four years...
Original post by spyka
The law requires automatic speed cameras to perform a "secondary check".

The GATSO lines do not have anything to do with the workings of the camera itself, it's just for this second check.

The camera takes two photos, usually 0.5 sec apart, and using this time and amount of lines travelled between the two photos (the distance between the lines being known), the speed can be manually worked out to check the reading from the camera is accurate.

Truvelo (the blue ones with three horizontal lines) work slightly differently, in that the camera pictures should show the car's front wheel on the middle line

In theory, if there are no lines, no secondary check can be performed and thus the speed camera evidence cannot be used against you. However, this would be a rather technical argument to put before a court and require knowledge/expertise/money, so unless you actually doubt the measurement, it'd be easier to take the £60 and 3 points.

Its more like £100 and 3 points now. Anyway if you won the court case you would claim your expenses back. If you cant do this despite winning, well just go nuts. Anyone remember David Rathband?

Original post by IWMTom
This thread hasn't had a reply in four years...

OP probably done a search and found this thread. This sort of thing is a manifestation of replies to common questions with "google it" rather than actual answers. What goes around comes around.

Also the speed limit signs dont give units, just numbers. I was only doing 2 miles per minute down the motorway, well within the limit of 70! I doubt anybody has thought of this loophole before or has it been closed?
Reply 10
Original post by Laomedeia
Also the speed limit signs dont give units, just numbers. I was only doing 2 miles per minute down the motorway, well within the limit of 70! I doubt anybody has thought of this loophole before or has it been closed?

The legislation states mph - the sign is just an indication. There is no loophole, nor has there ever been a loophole.
Original post by IWMTom
The legislation states mph - the sign is just an indication. There is no loophole, nor has there ever been a loophole.

Oh.
2 miles per minute is 120 miles per hour. 1 mile per min is 60 mph

Latest