The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by p1234h
yeah thats the one, what was the answer? :s-smilie:

I said how the thin layer would increase surface area so, would result in a higher rate of photosynthesis so would create glucose which can be used to create cellulose (it did relate the question to cellulose?)

Then the midrib I said how it would most likely contain Xylem which would transport water to the cells and that water is split in the lightdependent reaction to create ATP/NADPH, which is used to convert GP-->GALP to create sugar etc.

Not sure if that's what they wanted now though :L
Reply 581
For the biotic factor I wrote disease..and then went on to say that biotic factors do not affect the distribution of organisms but affect the abundance. This Gould be right as it asked for effect on distribution.
Reply 582
I did a 2 hour eco 4 paper then a 5 min break then the bio 4 paper..feeling wasted
Reply 583
As for the cArbon neutral question.. It was because the trees that have been cut down are going to be burnt or will decay..both process release co2 into the atmo
Reply 584
Original post by Huntx
As for the cArbon neutral question.. It was because the trees that have been cut down are going to be burnt or will decay..both process release co2 into the atmo

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about them being carbon sinks - as in they store co2 from the atmosphere/ photosynthesis
And I mentioned the machinery being used will also produce co2.... this I saw in one if the old mark scheme so thought maybe would be a point on this one too
Hey everyone. Could someone compose a list of what to go over for tomorrows exam?
Original post by Huntx
I did a 2 hour eco 4 paper then a 5 min break then the bio 4 paper..feeling wasted

That's harsh, I got a 30 minute break in between! I'm the only one doing Economics and Biology in my year so I was by myself in a massive exam room with 2 invigilators :redface:
Reply 587
Original post by HQazi
Posted from TSR Mobile
What about them being carbon sinks - as in they store co2 from the atmosphere/ photosynthesis
And I mentioned the machinery being used will also produce co2.... this I saw in one if the old mark scheme so thought maybe would be a point on this one too

I mentioned carbon sinks,
Microorganisms respiring the dead organic material also releasing Co2...
Reply 588
Original post by CharlieWalden
Hey everyone. Could someone compose a list of what to go over for tomorrows exam?

What exam's tomorrow ?!?!
Original post by C94

I have my biology tomorrow (IGCSE Edexcel)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 590
Original post by CharlieWalden
I have my biology tomorrow (IGCSE Edexcel)

You my friend..are in the wrong place. Okbye
Original post by C94

Haha i love the way you used the ?!?!?!
as my reaction was the exact same!
I thought Unit 5 was tomorrow all of a sudden and i was gonna start having a panic attack :P
Reply 592
Original post by C94
I mentioned carbon sinks,
Microorganisms respiring the dead organic material also releasing Co2...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohkay :smile:
I really I picked up all the marks on that questions :frown:
Original post by C94
Something about midrib and lamina's.....

I'm not sure if i'm right, but I put something about the thin lamina helping quicker diffusion of CO2 and then something about transporting carbohydrates to different parts of the plant for the mid rib
Reply 594
Original post by HQazi
Posted from TSR Mobile

Lamina contains chlorophyll right? There storma where LIR takes place? Therefore would make glucose from GALP....
And the midrib would carry minerals from the soil? Which maybe used up? I'm not sure if they are right but I think that's what I wrote :frown:

For the lamina I pretty much just mentioned the light independent stage and chlorophyll and for the midrib vessels I spoke about the gas exchange of oxygen and CO2
Reply 595
Original post by adamcarey
For the lamina I pretty much just mentioned the light independent stage and chlorophyll and for the midrib vessels I spoke about the gas exchange of oxygen and CO2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I did not mention any gas exchange fir midrib. Oh well
Btw, do you happen to have unit 5 jan 2013 paper and ms? :smile:
I talked about short diffusion distance? cause it's thin? :L lawwwl,

And the fact that it had vessels so xylem carried water and nutrients.

For question 5 though omg!!!!

totally messed up on triplet, degenerate, non-overlapping. :frown:
Original post by HQazi
Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I did not mention any gas exchange fir midrib. Oh well
Btw, do you happen to have unit 5 jan 2013 paper and ms? :smile:

:smile: here you go
Reply 598
Original post by yarshad
:smile: here you go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
*thumbs up*
Reply 599
Original post by confusedgirl22
Haha i love the way you used the ?!?!?!
as my reaction was the exact same!
I thought Unit 5 was tomorrow all of a sudden and i was gonna start having a panic attack :P

Haha yes, I thought he was referring to Unit 5.
I was scrambling through my table to find my exam timetable, just to check if it was true.

And yes, that was a panic attack, I am no where near ready for this. All revision will begin after Core 3 and Physics G495 tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending