The Student Room Group

Xbox One: The New Generation of Xbox (Discussion thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
WHAT.

This is both incredibly good and bad for MS. Their image is a little tarnished but they may yet regain fans.

Dis gon be gud.

They'd already done enough damage to their image, I think it was a case of choosing to be known as "those guys who can't make their damn minds up" and "those guys who dug their own grave for the PS4 for dance upon".
Original post by Mr.Messy
Xbox One Eighty :awesome:
I liked that, it was very clever :biggrin:

Hmm, that is a game changer if true. I do prefer the Xbox platform, however I'm still tempted to buy a PS4 just to do my part in reminding Microsoft what a stupid idea it was.
Damage hasn't really been done in the long term though. They've got until November to aggressively market the right games and services, which is what they needed to do in the first place. E3 was only a week ago and they can hold press conferences etc to straighten it out.
After the pullback on their stupid DRM measures, I've preordered the Xbox One. I like the idea of an all in one system and I have a 360. Why change?! Lol

Hopefully, they won't make that mistake again ... ... I hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well guys, since MS have announced you no longer need to log on to live every 24 hours and have reversed the no to second hand gaming, I am going to CONSIDER getting it but will DEFINITELY get it later if it gets a makeover!
Original post by Scienceisgood
Well guys, since MS have announced you no longer need to log on to live every 24 hours and have reversed the no to second hand gaming, I am going to CONSIDER getting it but will DEFINITELY get it later if it gets a makeover!

Makeover as in how it looks? Come on man, it's a box. All games consoles are a box or some slight derivative of a box. I can't believe some people make console buying decisions based on how they look!
Original post by Hedgeman49
Makeover as in how it looks? Come on man, it's a box. All games consoles are a box or some slight derivative of a box. I can't believe some people make console buying decisions based on how they look!

It looks like a bloody cheap ass radiator/air conditioner!
Why are people concerned with how it looks? You're telling me that the look of a console defines the power inside? Defines how games will be? Are you gonna be looking at it while playing a game? No.

Anyways, I think these so called "gamers" have ruined the awesome features of the One. I loved the idea of cloud games, much easier to go to a friends house and sign in and play games like that. Obviously that still works for digital games, but would love to have the option to save to cloud. And no more family sharing now. Was another great idea.

But still, after going through E3 games, I will definetly get a One. I mean, oh my god, Titanfall, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Halo 5, Quantum Break, Ryse, just to name the exclusives, all look absolutely fantastic! Others like Battlefield 4, The Crew, TC The Division (Absolutely awesome, not really a fan of shooters, but this is just, wow!) all look amazing! It just makes me wonder what F1 2013 (My favourite franchise, being a F1 nut!!) will be like! Microsoft should take a bow for the absolutely awesome exclusives they announced!
Original post by johnnyboy360
Why are people concerned with how it looks? You're telling me that the look of a console defines the power inside? Defines how games will be? Are you gonna be looking at it while playing a game? No.

Anyways, I think these so called "gamers" have ruined the awesome features of the One. I loved the idea of cloud games, much easier to go to a friends house and sign in and play games like that. Obviously that still works for digital games, but would love to have the option to save to cloud. And no more family sharing now. Was another great idea.

!

All of those features could have been implemented without DRM.

And the family sharing has been confirmed to be a glorified demo service. It allowed you to play 60 minutes of the game then forced you to buy the game to continue. Hardly family sharing...

Clearly you don't know how cloud games worked. You still had to download the game and install it before you could play it on another console.
Original post by G8D

This rumour has been shown to be untrue.

No it hasn't.

If the rumour was untrue then why don't we still have the family sharing option. If you could truly share games with family then why not just have it with digital games. It's not hard.

And since when did Microsoft employees start telling us the truth. The last i heard DRM and the cloud was the best thing ever and Microsoft were never going to reverse it...
Original post by Sum Gai
No it hasn't.

If the rumour was untrue then why don't we still have the family sharing option. If you could truly share games with family then why not just have it with digital games. It's not hard.

And since when did Microsoft employees start telling us the truth. The last i heard DRM and the cloud was the best thing ever and Microsoft were never going to reverse it...

I'd tell you to read this but since ever MS employee is a lier I guess you'd be wasting your time.
http://kotaku.com/rumor-about-xbox-one-family-sharings-downsides-has-fla-534484570

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1111
Original post by G8D
Cloud gaming is essentially DRM. You're right in the sense that allowing for cloud gaming doesn't necessitate system-wide DRM though.

I suppose it could work like gog.com where you can log into your account to download the game, and then once you've downloaded it, it's completely DRM free (i.e. from then on, anyone can play it on that machine). But that would mean there is no protection at all against piracy. Someone could share their account details and then anyone else could log in, download the game and log out.

You could even say that having to have the disc in is a form of DRM. The right to play the game is tied to the disc. It's really just like having a dongle like they used to do for some software 20+ years ago.
Original post by Sum Gai
All of those features could have been implemented without DRM.

And the family sharing has been confirmed to be a glorified demo service. It allowed you to play 60 minutes of the game then forced you to buy the game to continue. Hardly family sharing...

Clearly you don't know how cloud games worked. You still had to download the game and install it before you could play it on another console.

Read the post below yours, troll. And get your facts right.
Original post by Shomberlon
I'd tell you to read this but since ever MS employee is a lier I guess you'd be wasting your time.
http://kotaku.com/rumor-about-xbox-one-family-sharings-downsides-has-fla-534484570

Posted from TSR Mobile

When one of the biggest leakers in the industry who xbox fanboys have trusted since 2005 comes out and says Microsoft actually had a 60 minute limit i find it hard to trust microsoft employees. Especially when Microsoft never explained how it worked properly and lied in the first place.

Remember the whole "there is no 24 hour check in" comment. Look how that turned out.

Besides, if the PS3 could do family sharing on 5 different PS3's without DRM. I'm sure the Xbox One could do family sharing as well without DRM.
Original post by G8D
Didn't PS3 change to 2 because so many people took unfair advantage of it?

Yup, but it was actually publishers who pushed through the change. So why would publishers allow Microsoft allow 5 times the amount of people it allowed sony to share their games between each other.

ThereWAS obviously going to be a catch of some sort otherwise it defeats the whole point of what Microsoft were trying to do.
Reply 1115
Original post by G8D
I'm not sure why you directed this at me as I was more referring to games that require constant cloud connections to function (in a legitimate way). This acts as DRM as you always need to be online and so it'd be very hard to spoof a copy of the game or legitimate account. Obviously some of this depends on the nature of the game but requiring online can help prevent piracy for sure.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I think johnnyboy360 was getting at "cloud games" as in the games are stored "in the cloud" (i.e. you can download them as long as they are on your account) like how Steam works. That's a feature that you won't get now if you buy your games on a disc.
Original post by G8D
Well technically the Xbox version only allowed 1 person (other than the original owner) to play at any one time, if I remember correctly. So the family members using the game would either be irregular players/non day-oners or those that are likely customers looking for a 'demo' of the game before buying it outright for themselves.

So we have the game being played by people who wouldn't otherwise have played it (yay for developers) and more potential sales from those less eager to purchase the game in the first place (yay for developers). I also suspect they may have received some sort of subsidy from Xbox live subscriptions much like developers get from PS+ 'free' games.

The 60 minute thing may in fact be about the phoning home to ensure there's not excessive misuse of the service.

But it's still 10 people. It's still one copy of the game. It's still $540 lost by publishers.

Selling a used game once may cause publishers to lose $40 max. But this causes them to lose a lot lot more.

So this whole family sharing thing just wasn't going to work how we thought it would work.

Even Microsoft never actually told us. It's only because of the leaks we now know that it was just a 60 minute demo. The fact that Microsoft actually aren't doing it now means they can say whatever they want about it and how it would have been amazing.

If you read the text carefully on the xbox wire site it said anyone in your home could get "UNLIMITED" access to games in your home.

But regarding the family play MS said you could play the games at a given time. Also Major Nelson said you could "check out games". That seems to imply there would be a restriction of some kind. Nowhere did MS say that you could have unrestricted and unlimited access to the whole game. They were way too vague about it.

So anyone saying DRM should be bought back is a fool.

Also remember Microsoft came out and said that the 24hr thing phil harrisson talked about wasn't real.... look how that turned out. Do you really think microsoft are going to admit to this? Of course not. They're trying to save face right now and admitting the only sort of ok feature was a lie is just going to make them look even worse.

Also remember how MS said they were going to release a statement to clarify the family sharing because the entirety of neogaf demanded one after their original vague answers. Well that never happened. They reversed the DRM at that point. So my and others guess is that it always was a 60 minute limit and when the backlash got big enough MS tried to make it a permanent play through but publishers wouldn't agree. So that also influenced them in dropping the DRM. It's clear that no matter what there was a 60 minute limit at one point in time.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have no idea why anyone would want to get an XBone over a PS4 or a PC. Can anyone who has pre-ordered it enlighten me?
Original post by G8D
I like how you tried to save yourself being called out on using the same logic as those against used game sales.

It doesn't work though. It's not lost money if they were never going to buy it in the first place. If you enact some sort of 'demo' restrictions (though not the 60 minute thing as this has been denied) such as restricting how many concurrent players, needing to be online etc then you end up with a situation that could benefit developers more than it theoretically affects them.

Besides, a game can be sold on the used market infinite times. It's redundant to compare a single sale to the 10 license plan.

I'm also not sure anyone is arguing for DRM in the same form to come back. They simply lament the removal of the features DRM helped support. A mixture of the two (which I hypothesised above may be in the works as a hybrid of the 'traditional' model and some sort of tweaked 'modern' model for those that opt-in/download digital copies and presumably subscribe to Live).

But think about it for a second here. Even the PS3 was told by publishers to cut back on the amount of people who could have digital download copies. And remember this wasn't an official system, this was with you having to give your login details to the other person to download it.

So what incentive would publishers have to let their games be played across 10 different consoles where any 2 people could play at the same time. Of course publishers would be losing more money through that. Even if used game sales were being blocked. Remember we're not just talking 10 games here, you can have access to as many games as you want if you add enough family members. It literally takes away every incentive to ever buy a game again if you can complete the game by accessing your mates library for one game and then another mates library for another one.

The family sharing plan would have been exploited like crazy and everyone knows it. That's why people were excited when it was announced. But it's pretty clear now it was a con.

The fact is Microsoft don't even have to explain what family sharing is now that it's gone. If it really was unlimited access to games how come they never used that word but used the word for other features? How come they never came out and mentioned it until after the DRM debacle? and even then they never told us how it worked exactly...

Also this feature DOES NOT need DRM if it's done for digital games only. So why is the feature gone.... If the feature was still there it'd be a huge incentive to buy digital... which is what microsoft want.... right...? :wink:

In fact it's DRM and Family share which don't even make sense together. It's like Sim City's always online feature allowing you to play offline... it just defeats the whole point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pinkhead
I have no idea why anyone would want to get an XBone over a PS4 or a PC. Can anyone who has pre-ordered it enlighten me?

They purchased it....

- because they're a fanboy
- because they're a non gamer
- because of the infinite power of the cloud.
- because Call Of Duty has a dog.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest