The Student Room Group

Maths Year 11 GCSE to A-Level Holiday Learning

Updated on 23rd June 2013 - New C2 Book Link..

Hello

I remember on a few threads this year that a few people were talking about self-teaching the start of A-level maths in the holidays before 6th form//college.
So i made this thread for all the relevant discussions to occur

i will update this regularly to help people

If anyone has any questions academically or well anything,go for it.....
I self taught the C1,M1 and C2 .... so i think i know my stuff

www.examsolutions.net
http://www.m4ths.com/

I would recommend making a folder in your bookmarks and adding them ^^^

Oh and i know i will get some guy saying not to start this early.... but i think people will want to

Ryan

I also found some stuff from TSR which is good..i have uploaded that to this post for ease of access...

Where to start :

For edexcel : Here

For OCR : Here

For AQA : Here

For OCR MEI : Here

For Cambridge CIE : Here ...I think lol

The Majority start from this video though :

[video="youtube;Hpa0uqqGFHg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpa0uqqGFHg&list=PLA334220A97FE4988&index=1[/video]

Some people may have seen this before (look below)... lets add it here :biggrin::biggrin:

Hehe... Dont forget to keep the thread alive!! :biggrin::clap2::dancing2::dance::groovy::nutcase::security::spank::thumbsup::bhangra:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok so a Mod got rid of the links to the text book and the links to the Ebooks :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
I just flicked through the textbook, but a lot of it just seems like things we've learned at GCSE (maybe I haven't looked through it enough lol :tongue: )...Is it supposed to be like this? I'm assuming the module is supposed to give you the basics for the rest of the course...? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I just flicked through the textbook, but a lot of it just seems like things we've learned at GCSE (maybe I haven't looked through it enough lol :tongue: )...Is it supposed to be like this? I'm assuming the module is supposed to give you the basics for the rest of the course...? :smile:

Basically yeah..there are only 2 new topics in it..Intergration and diffrenetiation .... but those are failry basic as well

it took me around 2 weeks to get to a solid B stage on C1....but that was a few years back :colondollar:

have a go at it...it is alright...i might upload the C2 stuffif there is enough demand ....

try the individual review exercises...some might catch you out..some just have the wrong answer lol :biggrin:

Ryan
Reply 4
By the way are the resources for the Edexcel specification?
Reply 5
Original post by Unknown505
By the way are the resources for the Edexcel specification?

Yep .... edexcel specific but could be used for other exam boards...

Ryan
Reply 6
Ryan put this in your original post:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLA334220A97FE4988

It's a playlist which helps people "bridge the gap" from gcse to a-level.
Nice thread. I'm going to be learning some A-Level Maths in the holidays, because I'm doing the full A-Level in one year, my school doesn't spend a lot of time on the early units (C1 and C2), so I'll learn them myself.
Reply 8
Original post by Dylann
Ryan put this in your original post:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLA334220A97FE4988

It's a playlist which helps people "bridge the gap" from gcse to a-level.

Oh yeah.. i forgot about that guy.... the playlist is always in the wrong order though lol :biggrin:

i will do now...
Reply 9
Original post by ThatPerson
Nice thread. I'm going to be learning some A-Level Maths in the holidays, because I'm doing the full A-Level in one year, my school doesn't spend a lot of time on the early units (C1 and C2), so I'll learn them myself.

It will take some time mate...

C2 is a bit of a jump...but not as big as C2 to C3....although i didint feel like it was much...most people say it is quite big

Ryan
Reply 10
Thanks for this Ryan! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by NikolaT
Thanks for this Ryan! :biggrin:

Np
Original post by ryanb97
It will take some time mate...

C2 is a bit of a jump...but not as big as C2 to C3....although i didint feel like it was much...most people say it is quite big

Ryan

I did Further Maths GCSE, which pretty much covered most of C1 and about a third of C2.

Although I've still got a lot to learn, but I think if I start now I will have a lot of time to manage the C1 to C2 jump.
Reply 13
Original post by ThatPerson
I did Further Maths GCSE, which pretty much covered most of C1 and about a third of C2.

Although I've still got a lot to learn, but I think if I start now I will have a lot of time to manage the C1 to C2 jump.

The Aqa one is sort of crap in comparison to the edexcel one..... the edexcel one is harder than AS -level Maths,,, grr

i would recomend one subsection a night...which should take no longer than 30/40 mins tbh

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97
The Aqa one is sort of crap in comparison to the edexcel one..... the edexcel one is harder than AS -level Maths,,, grr

i would recomend one subsection a night...which should take no longer than 30/40 mins tbh

Ryan

Yeah, It's stupid how simple GCSE Maths is compared to A-Level.
Original post by ryanb97
Basically yeah..there are only 2 new topics in it..Intergration and diffrenetiation .... but those are failry basic as well

it took me around 2 weeks to get to a solid B stage on C1....but that was a few years back :colondollar:

have a go at it...it is alright...i might upload the C2 stuffif there is enough demand ....

try the individual review exercises...some might catch you out..some just have the wrong answer lol :biggrin:

Ryan

I'll have a go at the review exercises, although I've covered differentiation/integration during additional maths so C1 shouldn't be too difficult :biggrin: ...how can you tell whether you've made a mistake or whether it'a the textbook? :tongue:

Do you know whether we actually have to know the proofs for any of the concepts (e.g. Differentiation) for maths/further maths? We spent a lesson in school going through it and it was fairly long, and looked difficult to remember, thankfully we didn't need to know for our exam lol :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm bricking it
Reply 17
I'll have a go at the review exercises, although I've covered differentiation/integration during additional maths so C1 shouldn't be too difficult :biggrin: ...how can you tell whether you've made a mistake or whether it'a the textbook? :tongue:

Do you know whether we actually have to know the proofs for any of the concepts (e.g. Differentiation) for maths/further maths? We spent a lesson in school going through it and it was fairly long, and looked difficult to remember, thankfully we didn't need to know for our exam lol :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the only proof you need for EDEXCEL C1 is the one for arithmetic sequences..which is fairly short

ermm....the answers are in the back...it is literally like a text book

I will upload the C2 stuff tomorrow.... that might be better for a lot of people that have done additional maths ....how did you find arithmetic sequeances? - thats the only new topic tbh ... try a paper ???? -

Ryan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean Differentiation from first principles?
Reply 19
Original post by hajinator
I'm bricking it

You cant have a defeatist attitude when you start a levels mate... have a proper look at the stuff tomorrowwwwww........

Ryan

Quick Reply

Latest