The Student Room Group

Going to open day on your own?

Hey guys..I know this is a weird question but would it seem awkward iif I went to a univeristy open day on my own?:colondollar: I don't have anyone to go with me :frown:
Reply 1
Why would it? You're going for you not anyone else.

You shouldn't be scared of going places on your own.
From what I remember of Open Days, not much social interaction between you or other prospective students actually happens anyway. You look around, listen to the professors etc. Most seem to be with their parents so it's not a big deal going alone.
Reply 3
It would probably be a good experience navigating your way through a strange town without help. That's what you'll be doing for a few weeks when you join uni :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mollylondon
Hey guys..I know this is a weird question but would it seem awkward iif I went to a univeristy open day on my own?:colondollar: I don't have anyone to go with me :frown:

It's actually good in a way - helps you be more independent : so it's not awkward at all ...

If you don't know where to go ; simply ask a tour guide preferably or even a teacher at the University and I am sure they will be glad to help you out . If you do get bored by being on your own - just tag along with other students lol .

~ Good Luck > Hope you enjoy it :cool:

That's totally fine, imagine an open day packed with people. You get the interdependency to go wherever you want and take your time. Enjoy yourself, I'd love to go by myself. :smile:
Reply 6
Oh ok thanks guys..it was just my friends always nagging that they don't have anyone to go with so they wouldn't even book a place,thus it had started bothering me that it would be awkward to go on your own:P
Oh ok thanks guys..it was just my friends always nagging that they don't have anyone to go with so they wouldn't even book a place,thus it had started bothering me that it would be awkward to go on your own:P

Be independent. I'm a teacher and can still remember the surprise I got when I found out that students these days take their parents. I went to all of mine on my own, back in the dark ages of history, and I think it gives you a chance to see what you want to see without feeling you have to please others, doesn't cloud your opinions with other people's views and gives you a feeling of what it will be like to be there without anyone from your current background.
Reply 8
I've been on my own but I'm twenty five so I might be a little older than you. I think it is better to go by yourself as you can do what you want/need to do without being pressured by someone else. For example you might have to wait a while to talk to the admissions tutor and someone who isn't applying for the same subject might get bored. You don't have to worry about getting lost as there are usually open day guides everywhere, if in doubt just ask.
Reply 9
I went to one about a week ago alone :-) actually made me more inclined to talk to current students and other prospective students and It didn't seem to really matter that I was on me own. Try not to worry bout it :-).
It's not strange at all. I went to some by myself and some with my parents, and both were fine. Nowadays I work on open days, and I quite like seeing students who have come by themselves - I think it shows independence and maturity.
Reply 11

I went on my own it was fine.

I was gonna put "you'll be going to Uni on your own next September" lol but I thought someone else would put it/ is pointless
Reply 12

I went on some open days with a parent but mostly by myself and it's often easier to talk to people and ask the questions you want to ask :smile: Just make sure you know how you're getting there and you'll be fine!
I went to a few on my own and tbh it's fine! At one of them me and another girl who was there on her own ended up walking round together and having a general chat about things :smile: it was a nice experience.
When you go for real it's on your own so don't be scared! I went to some alone and always made friends :smile:
Reply 15
I think going alone would make you more likely to chat to other prospective students and become more sociable, plus it's a great opportunity to get to know the campus early whilst by yourself because practice makes perfect!
Reply 16

Nope! In fact it's probably better because you're free to go wherever you want and explore the uni, town, ask people questions and that, it can be annoying going with friends cos you'd all probably wanna check out different things. It's a good way to learn to be independent too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending