The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University English Language and Literature

Hey guys,
lately I`ve been looking into the Open University for a possible BA in the above stated subjects.

Some questions (naturally) aroused, maybe someone can help me? :wink:
Generally, how is the reputation of the Arts and Humanities section of the OU? How is a degree viewed by possible employers?

I`m not a UK citizen. I`m aware that student fees are going to change for the September intake (and then the UK and non-UK students are going to pay the same), but it seems like there`s a way to be eligible for the transitional agreement (take a fitting course before Sept. 1st) and to "only pay" the current fess.
Point is, I can`t seem to find actual numbers on current fees and especially not on the current difference in pay volume between UK and non-UK students. Anyone can point me into the right direction?

Answer would be greatly appreciated! :wink:

EDIT: I`m also a little bit struggling to understand the actual course structure when aiming for a BA.
It all seems to be a little bit loose and very flexible, which is per se no bad thing, but is there some kind of general structure provided? I`ve read about credit points and such, and found this site about the offered courses in Literature and Creative Writing:
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/arts-and-humanities/literature-and-creative-writing/courses/index.htm
Could someone point out the significance to me? This can`t be all courses available, can it?
Also, there are only three courses listed for Level 1, a 60 credit course, a 30 and a 15 one - that doesn`t add up to the needed 120?!
Is it like that: you have core modules you have to take and can otherwise choose other modules?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Google "open university new fees". I think the short answer is that you are too late, 10/15-pointers do not count for transitional arrangements, and 30 and 60-pointers start in Feb and Sept/Oct/Nov, so you have missed the boat... You could perhaps ring the OU and try to get on a Feb course (i.e. starting now!).
EU fees used to be about 2.5 times UK fees.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
So does only 30 or 60 pointers count as modules towards a qualification?
Because I couldn`t read that 10 pointer clause out of the information put onto the OU`s website.

Any hints on my other questions? :wink:
Reply 3
I know, but if you ask an advisor directly, they mention it, like the "one degree only" clause, which is not mentioned on the web site information either.
The modules allowed (or proscribed) for each qualification are mentioned on the qualification descriptions, the OU is currently updating its web site. If you want to start now, ring them, if you want to start in the autumn, wait until end-March when they will put up the new details.
I'm not studying humanities, so I can't help with humanities degrees, I would suggest ringing the OU rather than picking up hearsay.
Reply 4
Oh, ok.
Sure, ringing them up`ll be my tomorrows first task. :wink:

Can you give me any insight about the course structure, that I`ve asked above about?
Regardless of the specifics for Humanities and such, I guess it would be similiar to most courses.

Thanks so much for your responses so far!
Reply 5
Each degree is different, for some degrees, almost all of your modules are mandatory, for others it's about half and half, some degrees allow "optional" modules which must be in roughly the same field, and for an "open degree" you can do what you want! (well, you have to take at least 120 points in year 3, 120 points in year 2, etc. or something similar, I don't know the exact details)
I would recommend the OU whatever the subject.
Reply 6
Okay, thanks so much so far - I`m going to ring up the OU tomorrow to find out more.
Of course it`s variable from course to course - but how intense is the time consuming part (considering you don`t really lay back)?
Do you work besides (I`m working full-time with shifts)?
Reply 7
120 points is full time study.
I work full time and tend to have a 30-pointer on the go (with one starting in Nov and one in Feb, so I don't have any long periods without a course on). You need to assume one day per week to do the module justice. A 60-pointer means 2 days of study a week...
Basically 30 points = 8 hours per week
60 points = 16 hours per week.
Reply 8
Original post by exCR100
10/15-pointers do not count for transitional arrangements

Actually, according to the Transitional Arrangements FAQ, they do:
Will I be eligible for transitional arrangements if I am studying a 10-point module?

There is no minimum number of credits a student needs to be studying to be eligible for transitional arrangements.

(Although I grant that the OU change that FAQ more often than I change my bedsheets...)

OP, you can access the prospectuses for the current degree programmes here. In the current prospectus, it says that for that degree, you'd need:

For this 360-credit degree you require:
180 credits from the following compulsory modules:

Level 1 compulsory module
The arts past and present AA100 (60 credits)

Level 2 compulsory modules
Exploring the English language (U211 60 credits)
or
Worlds of English U214 (60 credits)
Reading and studying literature A230 (60 credits)

And 60 credits from the following optional Level 3 literature
modules:

Advanced creative writing A363 (60 credits)
Children’s literature EA300 (60 credits)
Shakespeare: text and performance AA306 (60 credits)
The nineteenth-century novel AA316 (60 credits)
20th century literature: texts and debates A300 (60 credits)

And 60 credits from the following optional Level 3 English
language modules:

English grammar in context E303 (60 credits)
The art of English E301 (60 credits)

And a maximum of 60 credits of free choice from any
OU modules to bring your total number of credits to 360.
Within the total, you must ensure that you have at least the
required minimum number of credits at each level and no
more than 30 from Openings modules or the Short module
Science starts here (S154).

Of course, that may all change in the new prospectus, but it should give you the general idea...
Reply 9
The one comment I'd make is that from what I've seen, English lang/lit modules are amongst the most harshly marked of all at the OU. Seems like they've hired a bunch of fussy literature critics as tutors. Check out the 2009 results.
http://www8.open.ac.uk/platform/files/platform/file/ecms/web-content/2009CourseResults.pdf
Reply 10
Original post by Nitebot
The one comment I'd make is that from what I've seen, English lang/lit modules are amongst the most harshly marked of all at the OU. Seems like they've hired a bunch of fussy literature critics as tutors. Check out the 2009 results.
http://www8.open.ac.uk/platform/files/platform/file/ecms/web-content/2009CourseResults.pdf

Yeah, I was reading the reviews of the Children's Literature module - something I'm really interested in - and a lot of them were pretty much saying how they'd found it fascinating but got dreadful marks for it, which is a bit offputting...
Reply 11
Original post by Persipan
Yeah, I was reading the reviews of the Children's Literature module - something I'm really interested in - and a lot of them were pretty much saying how they'd found it fascinating but got dreadful marks for it, which is a bit offputting...

Yes especially if you wanted to go on to an academic career in the subject. The risk of a third class honours degree would be a worry.
Reply 12
Original post by Persipan
Actually, according to the Transitional Arrangements FAQ, they do:

(Although I grant that the OU change that FAQ more often than I change my bedsheets...)

OP, you can access the prospectuses for the current degree programmes here. In the current prospectus, it says that for that degree, you'd need:

Of course, that may all change in the new prospectus, but it should give you the general idea...

Regarding that quote on the compulsary modules - there doesn`t seem to be much place left for free choices here, ain`t it?

Seems like you MUST use your 60 credits you can choose freely, to top up your Level 1 credit count?!
So you can`t really choose anything from Level 2 or Level 3?!

I`ve actually decided to study with the OU, registered today for A 182.
I`m kinda torn between doing a BA in English Language and English Literature or a BA in Literature only.
I`d like the wider opportunities with the first one, but ILiterature really is the thing that`s most interesting for me, and if yeh really don`t have any choices to choose for Literature courses with BA English&Literature, I might tend towards the latter one to be more free in what courses to study.
The problem is the Undergraduate Prospect for 2012 isn`t released yet, so I can`t really look it all up. Additionally, I seem to be unable to download the 2011 prospectus for whatever reason.
What kinda surprised me when registering today - alot of courses seem to stop in 2014, along it the BA in Literature. What`s the reason for that?

Could anyone propably comment on the choice picking possibilites? Would it be better to study for English and Literature or Literature only, when it comes to employablilty and job-possibilites? Or is it really considered more or less the same?!
While registering today, I chose English and Literature as the Degree to study towards, in any case, I can still change that before Oct., can`t I?

I`m a bit lost here, maybe someone can help?

As always, answers are greatly appreciated.
Reply 13
I didn't realise that you had a choice between Eng and Eng & Lit. until you said. I don't think that it would make much of a difference to many employers as a lot of the same ground will have been covered.

In terms of modules, there are compulsory ones at all levels but you don't have to do 120 credits at Level 1 if say only 60 are compulsory. You could do 60 at L1, 150 at L2 and 150 at L3. But there are some certificates that you can pick up on the way to your degree and some of these require 120 credits.

Things should be clearer next month when the prospectus and sample pathways are up. I've sent PM about 2011 humanities prospectus.

Edit: All modules have a set life before they're refreshed. The Arts & Humanities Dept. will already be thinking about the replacements of those ageing modules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nitebot

Yea it's hard to get great results in Arts and Humanties because it's so subjective and a lot of analysing and compare and contrasting.

Not many people are encouraged to do the Children's Lit module as there have never been good reviews about it.
Reply 15
Original post by Vorenus
Regarding that quote on the compulsary modules - there doesn`t seem to be much place left for free choices here, ain`t it?

Seems like you MUST use your 60 credits you can choose freely, to top up your Level 1 credit count?!
So you can`t really choose anything from Level 2 or Level 3?!

I`ve actually decided to study with the OU, registered today for A 182.
I`m kinda torn between doing a BA in English Language and English Literature or a BA in Literature only.
I`d like the wider opportunities with the first one, but ILiterature really is the thing that`s most interesting for me, and if yeh really don`t have any choices to choose for Literature courses with BA English&Literature, I might tend towards the latter one to be more free in what courses to study.
The problem is the Undergraduate Prospect for 2012 isn`t released yet, so I can`t really look it all up. Additionally, I seem to be unable to download the 2011 prospectus for whatever reason.
What kinda surprised me when registering today - alot of courses seem to stop in 2014, along it the BA in Literature. What`s the reason for that?

Could anyone propably comment on the choice picking possibilites? Would it be better to study for English and Literature or Literature only, when it comes to employablilty and job-possibilites? Or is it really considered more or less the same?!
While registering today, I chose English and Literature as the Degree to study towards, in any case, I can still change that before Oct., can`t I?

I`m a bit lost here, maybe someone can help?

As always, answers are greatly appreciated.

I am exactly in your position right now!
I know I am one year late(lol)but can you help me with a few questions,please?
i want to do a BA in English language and literature,and I was wondering if it was possible to complete that degree in three years?
alot of people have said it's impossible and can't be done which worried me!
Reply 16
Original post by zizo1989
I am exactly in your position right now!
I know I am one year late(lol)but can you help me with a few questions,please?
i want to do a BA in English language and literature,and I was wondering if it was possible to complete that degree in three years?
alot of people have said it's impossible and can't be done which worried me!

I completed mine in three years. It's definitely possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by abyheat
I completed mine in three years. It's definitely possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's worrying me is that I work full time as well (but don't have family obligation s or what soever), so do you think I will manage?
Everyone is telling me it will be difficult :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by zizo1989
What's worrying me is that I work full time as well (but don't have family obligation s or what soever), so do you think I will manage?
Everyone is telling me it will be difficult :frown:

I worked full time throughout my degree too. I can't tell you whether or not you'll manage but it definitely is manageable. It largely comes down to organisation and time management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest