The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

ICL Financial Support

"Accommodation fee waivers will be allocated towards your accommodation fees at the start of the second term you spend in College Halls. If your accommodation costs less that the service discount you are eligible for, then the remaining part of your service discount will be paid towards your tuition fees. No direct cash payment will therefore be made to you."

Does this mean that I get no help covering the costs of accommodation for my first term? Or is it backdated or what?
Reply 1
Bump...
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I emailed them about this a month ago I think, this is what they said:

"Please visit our website again within the next few weeks as we are hoping to change the rules and make the payment in the first term. This hasn’t been confirmed as yet."

As far as I know it hasn't changed on the website so it might be worth emailing them again about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
All in good time, guys. There's a lot of change going on within College in places, and they've got a lot of details to hammer out with the support packages.

That said even if first term accom isn't covered, do remember that the upfront deposit for when you accept your offer won't be either.

PS// Look up the Imperial College London Freshers 2013 group on Facebook, people there are a lot more active and saves you having to bump.
Reply 4
Any news on this? The website still shows "accommodation fee waivers will be allocated towards your accommodation fees at the start of the second term you spend in College Halls."

It's simply baffling to have it paid from the second term onwards, because it states that "if your accommodation costs less that the service discount you are eligible for, then the remaining part of your service discount will be paid towards your tuition fees.".

Considering the above, say you have this hypothetical scenario:

Acccomodation = £5000
Service Discounts= £5000

The website states "For 2013-14, students in their first year of study who live in College Halls will receive service discounts in the form of accommodation fee waivers."

Happy days, you shouldn't be expected to pay anything, however:

First term is not covered by the Service Discounts, so you have to pay the accomodation fees with your own money (let's say £2000).

Second and third term is covered by the Service Discounts (the remaining £3000), so at the end there will be £2000 extra, that will instead go towards tuition fee waivers, which I am pretty sure is of no use to anyone (on the assumption that FSP can't be backdated).

Surely there is something not quite right here. If for whatever reason Service Discounts can only be paid from the second term onwards (I don't see why frankly), then it that case they have to be backdated, otherwise Imperial students would be getting a very raw deal here.
Reply 5
Original post by All-in
Any news on this? The website still shows "accommodation fee waivers will be allocated towards your accommodation fees at the start of the second term you spend in College Halls."

It's simply baffling to have it paid from the second term onwards, because it states that "if your accommodation costs less that the service discount you are eligible for, then the remaining part of your service discount will be paid towards your tuition fees.".

Considering the above, say you have this hypothetical scenario:

Acccomodation = £5000
Service Discounts= £5000

The website states "For 2013-14, students in their first year of study who live in College Halls will receive service discounts in the form of accommodation fee waivers."

Happy days, you shouldn't be expected to pay anything, however:

First term is not covered by the Service Discounts, so you have to pay the accomodation fees with your own money (let's say £2000).

Second and third term is covered by the Service Discounts (the remaining £3000), so at the end there will be £2000 extra, that will instead go towards tuition fee waivers, which I am pretty sure is of no use to anyone (on the assumption that FSP can't be backdated).

Surely there is something not quite right here. If for whatever reason Service Discounts can only be paid from the second term onwards (I don't see why frankly), then it that case they have to be backdated, otherwise Imperial students would be getting a very raw deal here.

I suppose it would be a good idea to give them a ring and clarify. I'm not surprised IMO about paying from second term onwards, the first term (hell even the first month) is always crazy-hard to sort out finances with new people. It's an admin thing, and I wouldn't be up in arms about it. I'm receiving a bursary from them and back in first year I couldn't get any money in October - it was spread out between Nov-June. This year though they gave it from Oct-June because I'm already in their system. Nothing to do with the fact I'm international, they've had my UK bank details since August.

And I wouldn't say that tuition fee waivers are of no use to anyone. Sure you're paying upfront out of your own pocket, but think of the people on student loans - that's less in the overall payable amount they'll have to cover when they graduate.
Reply 6
Original post by arianex
I suppose it would be a good idea to give them a ring and clarify. I'm not surprised IMO about paying from second term onwards, the first term (hell even the first month) is always crazy-hard to sort out finances with new people. It's an admin thing, and I wouldn't be up in arms about it. I'm receiving a bursary from them and back in first year I couldn't get any money in October - it was spread out between Nov-June. This year though they gave it from Oct-June because I'm already in their system. Nothing to do with the fact I'm international, they've had my UK bank details since August.

And I wouldn't say that tuition fee waivers are of no use to anyone. Sure you're paying upfront out of your own pocket, but think of the people on student loans - that's less in the overall payable amount they'll have to cover when they graduate.

I think you are missing the point here.

The website states that "If your accommodation costs less that the service discount you are eligible for, then the remaining part of your service discount will be paid towards your tuition fees." So we have a IF and THEN statement here.

Let's take a twin room from Wilson House as an example:

£131 p/w * 39 = £5109

Assuming even the maximum Service Discount, £5000, accommodation is more than service discount, yet still part of the service discount will go towards tuition fee waiver.

The website contradicts itself. That's what I am trying to say here.

If I buy a box of 10 cookies from the store, I expect to receive 10 cookies. That's what the packet says, so I expect 10 cookies. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I would get "up in arms" if I find only 2 cookies in the box.
Reply 7
Original post by All-in
I think you are missing the point here.

The website states that "If your accommodation costs less that the service discount you are eligible for, then the remaining part of your service discount will be paid towards your tuition fees." So we have a IF and THEN statement here.

Let's take a twin room from Wilson House as an example:

£131 p/w * 39 = £5109

Assuming even the maximum Service Discount, £5000, accommodation is more than service discount, yet still part of the service discount will go towards tuition fee waiver.

The website contradicts itself. That's what I am trying to say here.

If I buy a box of 10 cookies from the store, I expect to receive 10 cookies. That's what the packet says, so I expect 10 cookies. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I would get "up in arms" if I find only 2 cookies in the box.

I don't think I am - rather, you're missing the aim of my post. Sure, the website may be confusing (and I wasn't defending them); all I'm doing is proffering reasons behind why they pay from second term onwards because you said you didn't see why that was the case. From the start of my post I also told you that it may be an idea to ring them and clarify once and for all.

If this arrangement majorly grinds your gears, I suggest you email them/give them a ring and ask them to explain the whys and hows of their FSP logistics to you (feel free to include your cookie analogy, I'm sure it'll help.) Tell them what you're not happy about if you're not satisfied with the arrangement, I'm sure they'll try and improve the logistical malarkey for FSPs from your comments (after all they still aren't sure about and are working on how they plan to disburse support from 2nd year onwards - seeing as peeps don't live in college accom then.)

And from the standpoint of an international where such schemes are hard to come by for the majority of my lot, I'm just going to put this out here - at the very least you're getting assistance?
Reply 8
Original post by arianex
I don't think I am - rather, you're missing the aim of my post. Sure, the website may be confusing (and I wasn't defending them); all I'm doing is proffering reasons behind why they pay from second term onwards because you said you didn't see why that was the case. From the start of my post I also told you that it may be an idea to ring them and clarify once and for all.

If this arrangement majorly grinds your gears, I suggest you email them/give them a ring and ask them to explain the whys and hows of their FSP logistics to you (feel free to include your cookie analogy, I'm sure it'll help.) Tell them what you're not happy about if you're not satisfied with the arrangement, I'm sure they'll try and improve the logistical malarkey for FSPs from your comments (after all they still aren't sure about and are working on how they plan to disburse support from 2nd year onwards - seeing as peeps don't live in college accom then.)

And from the standpoint of an international where such schemes are hard to come by for the majority of my lot, I'm just going to put this out here - at the very least you're getting assistance?

Yup, I did miss the aim of your post, as in I didn't see one. If you have sort of agenda here, I suggest you keep it to yourself. Just beacuse you don't see the problem, doesn't mean it isn't a problem for anyone else. Or worse, you acknowledge there is a problem, but hey, it's not my problem, so let's make fun of this idiot on a public fourm and try to ridicule him. Very mature.

The website states that the full Service Discounts can be applied to accommodation fees providing that accommodation will cost more than the Service Discounts, yet the first term is not covered, so a substaintial part will go towards tuition fee waivers anyway.

If a person comes from household of under £25,000, their main concern is just getting by, as they will have no support from family. They will have no interest in tuition fee waivers.

I'm sure some people also applied on those basis, and now they find that in actual fact the Service Discount won't be all destined to accommodation costs, depsite the website saying so.

I don't need to email anyone, Imperial reads these threads (you would be naive to think otherwise). Hopefully they will see the contradiction and act on it, either by backdating FSP to the first term (so in other words reimbursing the first term payment), or stating that due to the way system is, tough luck for the first term. At least the contradiction would be fixed.

Don't see frankly the point of your last comment as well, every university provides support for Home students. Some are more generous than others in order to attract students from lower income households and improve their widening participation, Imperial being one of them.
Does anyone know if there is any way of avoiding the high interest rates charged to transfer money internationally? I am a student from France coming to study at UCL in Septmember, thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by All-in
Yup, I did miss the aim of your post, as in I didn't see one. If you have sort of agenda here, I suggest you keep it to yourself. Just beacuse you don't see the problem, doesn't mean it isn't a problem for anyone else. Or worse, you acknowledge there is a problem, but hey, it's not my problem, so let's make fun of this idiot on a public fourm and try to ridicule him. Very mature.

The website states that the full Service Discounts can be applied to accommodation fees providing that accommodation will cost more than the Service Discounts, yet the first term is not covered, so a substaintial part will go towards tuition fee waivers anyway.

If a person comes from household of under £25,000, their main concern is just getting by, as they will have no support from family. They will have no interest in tuition fee waivers.

I'm sure some people also applied on those basis, and now they find that in actual fact the Service Discount won't be all destined to accommodation costs, depsite the website saying so.

I don't need to email anyone, Imperial reads these threads (you would be naive to think otherwise). Hopefully they will see the contradiction and act on it, either by backdating FSP to the first term (so in other words reimbursing the first term payment), or stating that due to the way system is, tough luck for the first term. At least the contradiction would be fixed.

Don't see frankly the point of your last comment as well, every university provides support for Home students. Some are more generous than others in order to attract students from lower income households and improve their widening participation, Imperial being one of them.

Ridiculing? Mate, you're inferring that on your own. My only "agenda" is to give help to people if they genuinely can't find the answers on their own or have tried and have gotten nowhere (helping people who help themselves first, you know.) We can't always sit around and expect the Imperial staff or student volunteers to do all the legwork - calling or emailing in won't hurt anyone and you get the answers sooner.

I just got off the phone with Linda from Imperial's Student Finance team - prior to that one of her colleagues confirmed that staff don't all read the stuff on TSR, most niggles get fed back to staff either via student volunteers reading them on Facebook on the FB students' group, or by people directly contacting someone at Imps. It's probably even more naive to expect them to reach out to us via TSR (not exactly the most credible place), when we've got other channels like email or the FB pre-frosh group that get used more (at least there you can put faces to actual names.) Staff job outlines don't include "read TSR" last I checked.

You're right, the info on the website is slightly off only because the "second term onward" system was used for the 2012 entrants; but they've since negotiated for service discount payments to work differently - they're just not updating the site until this new system can be fully confirmed by the powers-that-be in College (and that there aren't any other clauses that they suddenly need to spring up on you guys. No one wants to jump the gun.)

So if we take your Wilson House case (or any accom that costs more than 5k), the FSP will pay off your first and second term fees (you don't get sent the invoice, they take care of it for you.) Then they'll pay off part of the third term fees until your 5k allocation runs out, of which you pay any remainder yourself (so you'll get an invoice for the remaining amount come summertime.) Peachy.

You still have to take care of the 250 pound deposit though before you get in, and that gets deducted from your summer term accom bill...so assuming you have that aforementioned room in Wilson - that means even though it's more than 5k for the whole year, Finance will only be paying less than 5k because you've already paid 250 quid of the final figure. So the remainder of your 5k service discount (of which is probs around 100 quid or so, give or take) goes towards tuition *anyway*.

In addition, once you guys go into second year, the service discounts will go to you as a cash bursary alongside the amount allocated under "Imperial Bursary" in the FSP. This again was only just negotiated recently.

So see, there's a point to phoning up and clarifying...instead of waiting around on the boards relying on other people to answer your "any news on this?" thing. I hope this helped.

ETA: I've even left my name and number with Linda so I'll be getting a phone call in case anything changes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Has everyone already had their FSP confirmed?
Reply 12
Original post by hannahmacken18
Does anyone know if there is any way of avoiding the high interest rates charged to transfer money internationally? I am a student from France coming to study at UCL in Septmember, thanks!

Afraid that this "high interest"/surcharge thing is universal when you wire/TT money from banks in one country to another. My friends and I get around this by purchasing bank drafts in GBP back in our home countries, you can do that with most banks.

Bank drafts are almost like cheques that you buy - you go to the bank, say you want to purchase a draft for X amount in GBP, and the bank will calculate the exchange rate for that day and tell you how much you need to pay in Euro. You "pay" them (it just means that the money in your account corresponding to the draft is then inaccessible), they give you the cheque/draft, which you then keep safe until you can bank it in when you're in England (the draft will take a few days at most to clear.)

So if you want to go down that route, you can do that before you come over. But that means you'll need to have enough money for the year/term (until you can go back and get another cheque/draft from your bank.)

Also, UCL? Wrong board/forum surely? :P
Reply 13
Original post by hevlar.kelmet
Has everyone already had their FSP confirmed?

Your FSP won't be confirmed until your place at Imperial is, and until College receive the info you give to SLC in order for them to assess how much you'll be getting. That's going to be a while yet!
Original post by arianex
Your FSP won't be confirmed until your place at Imperial is, and until College receive the info you give to SLC in order for them to assess how much you'll be getting. That's going to be a while yet!

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending