The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salchow
Arghhh.. don't know whether to buy a Filofax (after seeing many people on here talking about them!) or go ahead with ordering a smarter student planner????

I'm having the same problem! But if I do get one, it will probably be one of these four:
http://www.filofax.co.uk/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=2&rangeId=216&dsizeId=2
http://www.filofax.co.uk/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=3&rangeId=188&dsizeId=3
http://www.filofax.co.uk/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=3&rangeId=216&dsizeId=3
http://www.filofax.co.uk/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=2&rangeId=188&dsizeId=2

Any opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I'd go for personal size over pocket! I just find that the pockets are way too small to write comfortably in. But obviously there is the positive of them being smaller... I just know that I could never go smaller than a personal!

I ended up buying one in the end. Can't help you as to which Filofax as I like them all, although the birdcage one probably has the edge, but like katehlouise says, I would go for the personal over the pocket.
Just got back from a holiday in France and my suitcase was filled with stationery! They have the best stuff over there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katehlouise
Personally I'd go for personal size over pocket! I just find that the pockets are way too small to write comfortably in. But obviously there is the positive of them being smaller... I just know that I could never go smaller than a personal!

Ok, I will remember that but I wasn't sure because it's not for university, I'm only just starting year 12 in September so I will have to carry it to and fro every day :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4065
Original post by mammamia:0
Just got back from a holiday in France and my suitcase was filled with stationery! They have the best stuff over there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got some really cheap scrapbooks from there once, was so chuffed as they usually cost so much here!

xxx
Reply 4066
Original post by tess_rach
Ok, I will remember that but I wasn't sure because it's not for university, I'm only just starting year 12 in September so I will have to carry it to and fro every day :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

For sixth form pocket size would probably be fine - I had the pocket Malden through year 13. I started off using day per page but after January I used the week per two pages that came with it, and although I occasionally had to downsize my writing a little it was perfectly serviceable (and much easier to carry!) :smile:
As I approach the end of my student days (almost completed my PhD, got a Masters and a BSc), I thought I'd be qualified to add in a couple of handy organisation hints/tips.

- Firstly, for keeping track of journal articles you read, use something like Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com/). It's amazing. It has a Microsoft Word plug-in, and I find it so much better than EndNote (which crashed on me constantly)

- Keep your laptop organised, as file structures can get messy very quickly, and use something like Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) so your files are always always backed up! They're pretty student-friendly and often have ways of expanding how much free storage space you can have if you register with your university email account.

- For a more traditional, less techy way to organise your thoughts, timetable etc, try using a whiteboard. If you don't have the space to pop one on your wall (or don't fancy losing your room deposit), I've just started using this one that folds up into something about the size of your hand that you can carry around with you and unfold and scribble on when you need it. You can stick it on the wall too if needed (the Noteboard - www.thisisawesome.co.uk).

- Pick up pens from student fairs, conferences, hotels etc. You need never have to buy your own ever again. The same goes for notepads.

I'll have a think and see what else I can come up with!
Original post by Where'sPerry?
I literally do not know where to start with buying stationary for uni, don't get me wrong I LOVE getting new stationary but it just seems like such a massive task right now... Is there anywhere I can find a list of the things the average student will need?? If it matters, I am doing a science degree (marine biology) :redface:

I'm doing a science degree as well (biomedical sciences) and I'm trying to work out my organisation system and how I am going to take notes. I can't decide between notebooks per module or stick with what I am used to and write onto file paper, tear it out and stick it in a folder with a lever arch per module. This seems a better idea as handouts may pile up and I like to keep my work together but currently (at college) if I write on file paper, i'll take rough notes in class and copy it up onto neater paper but I'll worry this may be too time consuming at university.

However, thing I know I will need will be, at least:

Fountain pen + ink

Biros

Coloured pencils (for colouring diagrams!)

Coloured pens (i.e. Fineliners like Stabilo pens) for colour coding and making notes look neater!

A4 folder for transporting work around

Lever arches for storing work

Scissors, sellotape, glue just in case.

Stapler

Hole Punch

Pencils

Highlighters

Scientific Calculator

Sticky Notes

These are what I can think of off the top of my head that I currently use and can see myself using in the future at university.
Reply 4069
I read through this thread loads last year and was suffering from Filofax envy. Then I remembered that I had an old pocket size one so bought loads of refills for it. I loved organising it but to be honest it was just too bulky, maybe because I live at home and travel in to university on the train. So, as much as I loved it I left it at home and used a lightweight spiral bound academic diary because it was thinner and lighter to carry around.

If you are living in halls and can pop back between lectures then things like ringbinders etc are fine but if like me you commute in it is just not practical to have one per module because it is too much to carry. I used those plastic envelopes to transport lecture notes/materials and just took one note pad for note taking. Initially I tried organising things into ringbinders when I got home at the end of the day but I ended up in such a muddle about what should go where. This year I'm going to buy a Foolscap Box File for each of my modules so I don't end up with piles of stuff everywhere.
My filofax envy is pretty much dealt with now I have my chameleon... Now I have franklin covey envy! Can't fit the refills into a Filofax binder so would need an FC one for them... Might have to put it on the first wage packet dream shopping list!
Reply 4071
I keep seeing the word Filofax and have NO clue what one is.😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImAz
I keep seeing the word Filofax and have NO clue what one is.😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.filofax.co.uk/ :smile:
It's so annoying, I now have the money with which to buy a pocket Malden (my dream filofax) but just before I got my job I bought a new paper planner which I'm really enjoying using.
I need to join this thread, I'm obsessed and have been ever since I started school! I did joint honours last year and had one lever arch folder for each subject and each lecture (I had one lecture per subject per week) had it's own poly pocket. I'd put all lecture notes and bits from the lecture in each polypocket and then create a word document summarising the key points, the week's reading and any other useful info. I used these to put on each polypocket (because paper dividers usually broke after look through my notes).
Where do most of you purchase your stationery from; online or from shops?
Just waiting for my Filofax to be dispatched :smile: For those of you with one what have you got in yours and in what order have you arranged everything? I think I went a bit mad with ordering stuff for it and will no doubt be spending ages trying to figure out the best order!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4077
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Where do most of you purchase your stationery from; online or from shops?

I mostly go in store as I like to see what I'm buying in person :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4078
Just bought myself a folio case for keeping my day's lecture notes in. Its huge but at least I can get my tablet in it too for added protection, and its pink!! :tongue:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00200JWXE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23HN5WU0IJQJQ

Really good value by the look of it. Will have to report back when it arrives.

Everyone psyched about the new term yet? :biggrin:
Original post by luinecu
Just bought myself a folio case for keeping my day's lecture notes in. Its huge but at least I can get my tablet in it too for added protection, and its pink!! :tongue:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00200JWXE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23HN5WU0IJQJQ

Really good value by the look of it. Will have to report back when it arrives.

Everyone psyched about the new term yet? :biggrin:

That does look good!
I was looking for something like that, but could only seem to find massive ones last year, and they felt too big to use at a desk or something when in a lecture. Would be interested in what you think of the size when you get it!

Latest

Trending

Trending