The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Just.Alex
Hello guys,need your help

I am trying to fill all these loan forms for SLC now but as it turned out i have some questions for people who might face with it applying for student loan for architecture course.
So,i am stuck on these two things - course length and tuition fee.

SLC being the loans people for England I assume? I'm not sure what stage of the fun UCAS process you're at (I'm guessing you're a 2014 applicant?), but as a 2013 applicant, the form is a lot easier than you think :smile: You have to select the course and university and then the fees will automatically appear for you for the correct amount and number of years for that university and course. I.e., you do not type in how many years your course is.

So for me, I selected "2013 entry, Architecture K100, Nottingham" and the fees came up for all of the years for that course. It may vary uni to uni but that's how simple it was for me.

Original post by TheMoho
I shall definitely consider it :smile:

Cardiff offered me AAB eventhough it said the standard offer is AAA (and I'm a "normal" A2 student, not someone with a long history of architectural employment or anything). Play the UCAS game tactically, but if you really like the course/uni then go for it :smile: They can offer you lower than the standard offer. (Although disclaimer - this is just advice!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ContemporaryTales
SLC being the loans people for England I assume? I'm not sure what stage of the fun UCAS process you're at (I'm guessing you're a 2014 applicant?), but as a 2013 applicant, the form is a lot easier than you think :smile: You have to select the course and university and then the fees will automatically appear for you for the correct amount and number of years for that university and course. I.e., you do not type in how many years your course is.

So for me, I selected "2013 entry, Architecture K100, Nottingham" and the fees came up for all of the years for that course. It may vary uni to uni but that's how simple it was for me.

Cardiff offered me AAB eventhough it said the standard offer is AAA (and I'm a "normal" A2 student, not someone with a long history of architectural employment or anything). Play the UCAS game tactically, but if you really like the course/uni then go for it :smile: They can offer you lower than the standard offer. (Although disclaimer - this is just advice!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello
i am 2013 applicant
Thank you for your help
Reply 2422

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity. What subjects are you taking ?
Original post by HPAG
Out of curiosity. What subjects are you taking ?

Art (A*) Biology (A) Chemistry (A), Maths Mechanics and Gen studs AS (Bs in both.) Not sure how I got a lowered offer :s-smilie: I know applicants with far better grades than me. Work exp or portfolio maybe?
Reply 2424
Art (A*) Biology (A) Chemistry (A), Maths Mechanics and Gen studs AS (Bs in both.) Not sure how I got a lowered offer :s-smilie: I know applicants with far better grades than me. Work exp or portfolio maybe?

Art A* and portfolio would be my guess too. Your portfolio must have been a killer. Have fun where ever you go.

Original post by HPAG
Art A* and portfolio would be my guess too. Your portfolio must have been a killer. Have fun where ever you go.

my friend was predicted A*BB (art maths physics respectively) and her only offer was from cardiff, for ABB. not sure how strong her portfolio was but cardiff seemed to love it, whereas they really didn't like mine :smile:
Reply 2426
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
my friend was predicted A*BB (art maths physics respectively) and her only offer was from cardiff, for ABB. not sure how strong her portfolio was but cardiff seemed to love it, whereas they really didn't like mine :smile:

Another Art A* student. So maybe Cardiff is trying to become an "arty" architecture univ like UCL. That way they can fill places with lower grade students like UCL and still be in demand. "Niche marketing".
Original post by HPAG
Another Art A* student. So maybe Cardiff is trying to become an "arty" architecture univ like UCL. That way they can fill places with lower grade students like UCL and still be in demand. "Niche marketing".

don't really know, they seemed to be really picky about what they wanted in their portfolio from what i remember being said on their open day :smile:
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
don't really know, they seemed to be really picky about what they wanted in their portfolio from what i remember being said on their open day :smile:

They said they couldn't specify what they wanted in a portfolio, it just had to have something special. .. which was sort of unhelpful and vague :P I believe the Cardiff portfolio requirement was a max of four pages or something? I don't think Cardiff are as niche as UCL - they said on their open day that they didn't want to become art or engineering focused. I know Cardiff offer holders who didn't take Art and who have no work experience
Reply 2429
They said they couldn't specify what they wanted in a portfolio, it just had to have something special. .. which was sort of unhelpful and vague :P I believe the Cardiff portfolio requirement was a max of four pages or something? I don't think Cardiff are as niche as UCL - they said on their open day that they didn't want to become art or engineering focused. I know Cardiff offer holders who didn't take Art and who have no work experience

Most people on these blogs did say Cardiff was balanced. But to be balanced they probably make lower offers to students with Art A* and creative portfolios and higher offers to those coming with ok portfolios but good academics.

It's cool how in architecture there is a varied criteria for admission.

Original post by HPAG
Most people on these blogs did say Cardiff was balanced. But to be balanced they probably make lower offers to students with Art A* and creative portfolios and higher offers to those coming with ok portfolios but good academics.

It's cool how in architecture there is a varied criteria for admission.

yeah, i think i've heard similar - that cardiff is a bit of a mix. pretty sure my friend who got an offer had the 'flair' they were looking for. i remember her spending hours photoshopping together her best drawings into sheets, and none of it was architecture based at all. don't think she had any work experience either, but she applied for deferred entry and got work experience this year :smile:

guess there's a variety of criteria for a variety of schools that produce a variety of architects - takes all sorts to make the world go round :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2431
hey guys i graduated in architecture from kent last year so for anyone who missed an open day or wondered what it was like I'll do a summary for anyone considering it:
good tutors, bad feed back, good year group community feeling because we have our own building to work together in unlike oxford brookes where it's more of an office feeling, 24hour studio access is kwl, not enough space for everyone - it's a bit tight making models and displaying stuff but they have just built a new digital crit room, really nice campus -leafy with cinema and bars, could do with a few more computers to cut rendering time.

also I applied to do my masters at cardiff but i'm a bit confused about the first year working in an office again, how much help do they give you and when do you start? Anyone got any idea about what cardiff uni is like?
Reply 2432
Original post by hjh21
hey guys i graduated in architecture from kent last year so for anyone who missed an open day or wondered what it was like I'll do a summary for anyone considering it:
good tutors, bad feed back, good year group community feeling because we have our own building to work together in unlike oxford brookes where it's more of an office feeling, 24hour studio access is kwl, not enough space for everyone - it's a bit tight making models and displaying stuff but they have just built a new digital crit room, really nice campus -leafy with cinema and bars, could do with a few more computers to cut rendering time.

also I applied to do my masters at cardiff but i'm a bit confused about the first year working in an office again, how much help do they give you and when do you start? Anyone got any idea about what cardiff uni is like?

Hey, I'm studying Architecture at Kent in September, is there anything you recommend that I do to prepare for the course or any tips in general? I haven't received any work from them as of yet so I will look out for it. Cheers in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2433
heya, they are going to give you a task to do before you start, I wouldn't spend too much time on it but there is a presentation in front of your tutor group. In my first year they tried to take £75 for materials from everybody but you never really see what they spend it on! I'd try to get out of it if you can. Have you chosen your student room yet? I recommend Park wood houses (purchas court is awesome!) as best value for money. Also if you wait a bit before buying all your books you can usually buy them cheap off a second or third year, campus bookshop is pretty steep. If I end up doing my masters there I'll see you around!
Original post by euandorward
I accepted my unconditional from them a little while ago. Was very surprised when they made the offer as I've been out of education for over 6 years, didn't have any relevant experience and was basically just on the blag with my portfolio but I think that speaks volumes about the open minded nature of the staff. Can't imagine many other institutions being so unbureaucratic! Quite apprehensive of taking the plunge back into education after so long (can hardly remember what its like lol) but the facilities looked great when I went for my interview and everyone seemed really friendly. Are you still planning on going?

oh what made you decide to go back? i dont think so. going to try and defer and do a foundation course for a year, im thinking about my options! i suppose ill decide when i get my results
Original post by hjh21
heya, they are going to give you a task to do before you start, I wouldn't spend too much time on it but there is a presentation in front of your tutor group. In my first year they tried to take £75 for materials from everybody but you never really see what they spend it on! I'd try to get out of it if you can. Have you chosen your student room yet? I recommend Park wood houses (purchas court is awesome!) as best value for money. Also if you wait a bit before buying all your books you can usually buy them cheap off a second or third year, campus bookshop is pretty steep. If I end up doing my masters there I'll see you around!

:fyi: if you reply to a specific person you're better off using the Quote feature - it'll give them an alert and a direct link to your post :smile:

Just click the Quote button on the bottom right of their post and it'll sort the coding for you!
Hello,

Interesting conversation going on, I actually managed to read 1/3 rd of it before I lost track :P
I'm an architecture graduate looking to do masters in Interior Architecture/Design starting Fall 2014. So far the courses at Uni of Edinburgh and Nottingham Trent have peaked my interest. Especially the MFA in IA design at Edinburgh, since it also offers a period of professional training in other institutes. But that's a 21 month course and NTU (and other unis) offer the same in 1 year.
I'm from outside the UK, so it's a little difficult for me to attend open days and the sort. Hence, all my research is based on whatever I've scratched off the internet. :biggrin:
I've looked at schools in London too and I've liked CASS, Westminster and Middlesex being a few. RCA is a little too expensive for me and the course at UAL Chelsea seems way too abstract (not my type).
What would you guys suggest? I have no qualms about studying in any particular place in the UK. The only thing I really want is decent masters experience that will give me something concrete to base my career in later.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a tonne !!! :biggrin:
Original post by usernamemanresu
oh what made you decide to go back? i dont think so. going to try and defer and do a foundation course for a year, im thinking about my options! i suppose ill decide when i get my results

It was always my plan to go back eventually. I dropped out halfway through my a levels because all my time was being taken up by music. I've been touring all over Europe with this reggae band I play sax for since then but now I'm almost halfway to 50 I feel like the time is right to start transitioning to a more stable career path. Good luck with your decision, I hope you get the results you need.
Original post by euandorward
It was always my plan to go back eventually. I dropped out halfway through my a levels because all my time was being taken up by music. I've been touring all over Europe with this reggae band I play sax for since then but now I'm almost halfway to 50 I feel like the time is right to start transitioning to a more stable career path. Good luck with your decision, I hope you get the results you need.

But what great stories you'll have to tell, that sounds like a good life to me!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2439
So is anybody definitely heading to UCL this September???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending