The Student Room Group

non smiling brit girl again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sloaney Pony
Actually, there is no general "societal custom" that you absolutely MUST smile back at a complete stranger; it's completely different if it's someone you've met before or know.

As the majority of people's replies in this thread indicate, you are not owed a smile from someone you're unacquainted with, even as good manners. It simply isn't expected. It would be rude not to smile back at someone you'd met and were on good terms with, but to a stranger? No.

Customs like holding a door open or giving someone elderly your seat are completely different. They are there because having doors swing back in your face or standing up on public transport when you are old are an inconvenience.

Not having someone you don't know smile back at you is not an inconvenience in the slightest and insisting upon it is ridiculous. Whoever complains about it seriously needs to man up and realise what a control freak they sound like.

OP also needs to get that massive chip about British girls off his shoulder. Why smile at people in the first place if you hate them so much?

Good post :smile:
Original post by Flyingaround
Youre allowed to do what you like. I went to latvia where they dont smile which i didnt have a problem with. Its just when the make the effort to look at you. Just dont look at someone in the eyes if youre not going to smile. Or at the least dont laugh about the fact that you gave a dirty look

How dare someone look at you. How dare they look you...in the eyes. I do tend to smile at people on trains, except when circumstances mean it's delayed so I'm late for something or I've only just managed to hop on before the doors close, then my attempt at smiling looks more like a grimace. I take a lot of trains and unsurprisingly, I do not smile at every single person I lock eyes with. If they smiled at me first then I would, but then I do end up with a perpetually manic expression. And you mentioned tutting. If someone my age tutted at me, I would be in fits of laughter, fair play to the girl for only smirking. I didn't even know people tutted in earnest anymore.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Let's flip that situation.

There is no good reason not to return a smile, given it takes absolutely no effort whatsoever and is an ingrained social custom. To do so shows a deliberate rejection of the expectations of society and a disregard for everybody other than yourself. It is the epitome of rude.

Seriously for **** sake what is it about the situation i am describing that you dont understand?

yes i walk past someone, i make eye contact, i smile.

Some guy walks up to my seat on the bus, i am looking out the window and have not seen the person and they randomly tell me to smile. Then no i dont. They are the one being rude as there was no eye contact in the first place and they have deliberately interrupted me to try to order me to do something.

It is that simple! As basically as i can possibly put it - There is no reason to go up to a person who hasnt even seen or made eye contact with you and demand for them to smile because you feel like it.
Got it yet?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I smile back at people. I attempt to at least appear vaguely cheerful. I open doors and hold them.

Obviously, as a British girl this sounds crazy, so maybe it's because I'm quarter-French. Oh wait, the French are all sulky.

What a conundrum.

There is hope for some of us then. Very disappointed with the entitled, selfish girls on this thread. Thankfully this isn't reflective of society at large.
Original post by kunoichi
There is no reason to go up to a person who hasnt even seen or made eye contact with you and demand for them to smile because you feel like it.
Got it yet?

Perhaps.

But there is also no reason not to smile at somebody who has smiled at you.

Not sure what you're not getting here. The rest of society seems to understand this just fine.
Perhaps.

Not sure what you're not getting here. The rest of society seems to understand this just fine.

So when my granddad was in the hospital and I had 4 deadlines and a crippling hand injury, I should have just sucked it up and smiled at a random stranger because they smiled at me so they wouldn't feel offended?
Perhaps.

I cant work out if you are being deliberately stupid, but whatever. The next time you feel an urge to go over to the other side of the road and tell that girl on her phone who has not looked at you to smile, just dont.
And if you genuinely cant work out the difference between the two situations im talking about, you should not be lecturing anybody on politeness.
Reply 107
Edit: Just google "british girls are" and let google give the suggestions in the address bar, it says top 3) Cold, 2) Easy 3) Stuck up

On train, miserable looking blonde girl goes down train aisle to exit. She looks straight at me as i smile and she does nothing back.
If youre going to stare at me then smile otherwise dont look at me.

I tutted and saw as she got off said something to her friend then smirked and looked at where i was sat.

Why does that happen here, girls have calculating minds.

It was probably one of these kind of smiles http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5639cGAXl1rsrurxo1_400.jpg
Original post by redferry
[video="youtube;3v98CPXNiSk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3v98CPXNiSk[/video]

This is so true :lol:
Original post by minimarshmallow
So when my granddad was in the hospital and I had 4 deadlines and a crippling hand injury, I should have just sucked it up and smiled at a random stranger because they smiled at me so they wouldn't feel offended?

Pretty much, yes.
Reply 110
Edit: Just google "british girls are" and let google give the suggestions in the address bar, it says top 3) Cold, 2) Easy 3) Stuck up

HAHAHA he is actually right, it does...it also says 4) horrible 5) gross
lol, I never knew
Reply 111
Original post by Mockery
Non-smiling British girl?

I fail to see which part of this is surprising to you.

and I thought you comment would receive lots of -ve thumbs down ..:P
Reply 112
I remember going to California, so many beautiful smiling girls walking around, they're so casual and laidback as well. I couldn't even stop smiling and I generally walk around with a screwface. Then, I went to New York and it was pretty much like London, bitchy faces everywhere so I sighed and did this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QBztzfuiysw/UX_n5hjAFUI/AAAAAAAALk8/Dd90-fKkVKw/s1600/Dukie.gif

Moral of the story: move to California.

I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali. I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali. I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali. I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali. :music:
Just to let you know OP. I used to get the same train to work every day and every day there was this guy who I'd see. He was probably about my age, quite scruffy looking and always caught my eye as he came on. A couple of times he'd smile at me and I'd smile back thinking nothing if it. Gradually he'd get closer and closer until one day he asked if he could sit next to me. Being polite I said yes. He didn't say anything after that and I was a bit confused why he sat next to me despite there being lots of empty seats. Then he started to follow me off the train every morning , even when I took weird detours there he was. If he was ahead of me he'd wait till I went past and follow me. It was pretty terrifying. It only stopped when I started getting a different train.

Moral of the story: don't smile at people on trains! :tongue:
Pretty much, yes.

Well excuse me if I don't listen to you on that. There are plenty of reasons not to smile.
Wow, this sounds exactly like me. If I was in that situation I was probably trying to smile but my face muscles weren't responding and just sort of twitched slightly... 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest