The Student Room Group

Would you let your son be feminine?

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;7-bIhCBSrzU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-bIhCBSrzU[/video]
Reply 41
Original post by Boopho
Using things like calling a boy a girl as an insult is extremely sexist against females, funny how you never hear the reverse used as an insult, "stop acting like a boy".

Is the reason feminine men are mocked and stigmatised by some bigots, unfortunately left over in our society, more often than not due to contempt for women or not gender conformity in general?

I'm interested if males on here would force their children to adhere to strict gender roles and what would they do if there son turned out to be feminine?

Beat **** out of him.

Actually, on the other hand, it's not always a bad thing if boy is feminine...means they are more likely to listen and understand ..jks:P but still...
Reply 42
Original post by Boopho
Using things like calling a boy a girl as an insult is extremely sexist against females, funny how you never hear the reverse used as an insult, "stop acting like a boy".

Is the reason feminine men are mocked and stigmatised by some bigots, unfortunately left over in our society, more often than not due to contempt for women or not gender conformity in general?

I'm interested if males on here would force their children to adhere to strict gender roles and what would they do if there son turned out to be feminine?

I wouldn't care if my son was feminine, as long as it's his choice and not due to influence.

Also, girls can be stigmatised if their behaviour is more "masculine". In particular drinking beer is considered not girly, young girls can be called tomboys in a negative way, haircuts and style, and if they choose careers like politicians or business executives (high up positions), the assumption by many is that they're "hard". Typically, non-typical girls are labelled "manly" which isn't nice to hear if you're growing up.
Reply 43
Original post by Boopho
Stop acting like a boy, is rarely said, where as men are told all the time not to be a girl because of sexism.

I agree that boys face those comments, but I'd say girls face them equally.
Reply 44
Original post by Hyde
What, have you devised some scale of sexism? You are sexist yourself by clearly inferring that likening a male to a female is non-equivocal.
I don't care what you do with your sons

Hyde, I have no idea who you are...too lazy to go on your profile too, but you remind me a lot of a guy at my old school :P I know this doesn't say much lol but just saying
Reply 45
Original post by bestofyou
If my son turned out to be a little femboy I'd probably cut his willy off as he wouldn't deserve one. If he wants to act like a girl he can bloody well be one.

jk I'd send him to an MMA camp every summer as he will need to defend himself as he will without a doubt get bullied everyday of his teenage life. Defence is the best offence.

It's sad that you have to go through all that effort, bullies shouldn't do it in the first place
Original post by Boopho

I believe all humans are free to take the path of life they choose, and to make of life and themselves as they please. Surely you cannot force such gender roles upon them.

Having said that I would like for my son to be strict in his role as a man, physically and emotionally. Only then would I be happy for him to establish his own family and to be 'man of the house'.

I think in order to do such, discipline should be observed from an early age to shape the sons manhood for when he matures. So he can start working from an early age, strength exercises would also help as time went along to boost his body and morale in early teen years.
But most importantly for me personally, I believe the correct education should be provided from an early age and not one that could lead to the lead to the son being somewhat lost and in a search to find his true self in regard to sexuality. Boldness should be exercised by him against such.
And I believe the political and educational systems in the U.K are indeed in need of being revamped.
Obviously. Why would you want to prevent someone (especially someone that is a part of yourself) from being who they are? This is stupid.
Reply 48
Original post by Boopho
I've never seen a guy tell an outspoken woman to stop acting like a guy, it's more know your place, not demonizing men.

No many girls in my school played sports and were all popular. Women are not called men as an insult and they are not called slanged words for male genetilia to be demeaned. Stop making false equivalences. For instance a woman wearing men's pants no one would bat an eyelid but a man wearing a skirt they would go crazy. It is undeniably more accepted.

Wrong - I remember a girl wearing men's pants and she looked like a boy too. When they found out she was actually a girl they laughed at her and told to be girlier. :sadnod:
Reply 49
Original post by 69cards
Hyde, I have no idea who you are...too lazy to go on your profile too, but you remind me a lot of a guy at my old school :P I know this doesn't say much lol but just saying

Roughly where was your old school? I might be him :holmes:
Out of interest, what was this guy like?
Reply 50
Original post by thoyub
I would prefer him to be feminine than overly masculine. Although I wouldn't push him in either direction. But I would always let him be feminine if he wants. That way, when he gets into a relationship with a girl, he won't hurt her or treat her wrong. If he is more feminine than masculine then he will be gentle with her both physically and emotionally and he won't ever hurt her.

That can only be good, right?

A feminine guy can still be an arse hole, whilst a masculine guy can be kind-hearted. It depends how you define the terms, whether it's just soft or hard, etc.
Reply 51
Original post by Sisu
And then he'll get bullied and come home crying to you everyday and be tormented throughout the rest of his teeange life and by the time his a adult he'll probably be diagnosed with social anxiety and depression. And why? Because of your pathetic need to challenge gender norms and use your child as a tool to further your agenda. Will all his torment/anguish bother you? No because you'll probably just see it as a reinforcement of your viewpoint regarding perceptions of masculinity vs femininity in opposite genders and you'll be a little pleased at the fact that your suspicions have been confirmed, you sick sick sociopathetic (yes deliberate) feminist.

I don't think someone should use their child to make a point

But why can't social norms or gender stereotypes be challenged?
Reply 52
Let's wrap this up then shall we.
OP - your logic is massively flawed and male roles are just as tormented as female roles. If you were speaking in the 1800s I might agree with you but we've passed an era where a woman was prime minister of the country for god's sake.
I hope your child escapes your bigoted and extreme views of feminism
Reply 53
Original post by Ripper-Roo
I don't think someone should use their child to make a point

But why can't social norms or gender stereotypes be challenged?

Of course they can be challenged and they should be at times.
But doing it just for the sake of it is pretty pathetic and immature.
Original post by thoyub
I would prefer him to be feminine than overly masculine. Although I wouldn't push him in either direction. But I would always let him be feminine if he wants. That way, when he gets into a relationship with a girl, he won't hurt her or treat her wrong. If he is more feminine than masculine then he will be gentle with her both physically and emotionally and he won't ever hurt her.

That can only be good, right?

This is actually quite extreme. Why do you associate masculinity with abusive behaviour?
I wouldn't be too bothered. If that's who he is, then that's who he is.
Reply 56
Original post by Millie228
I'm not a feminist and I believe in biology - meaning that most men (testosterone-driven) are masculine and most women (estrogen-driven) are feminine. A minority will be a balance between the two or have more in common with the opposite gender. I believe it is modern feminism that has attempted to reverse the sexes or have them approach one another and one of the methods of doing this is to tell men to be more sensitive to get women (result friendzone) or to tell women to think of success in masculine terms and that adopting as many male traits as possible is good (anything very feminine is old-fashioned and oppressing).
I disagree with radical feminism entirely and I simply cannot agree with women who holds these views, at the point where I have given up debating with them. Fortunately, it seems radical feminism is dying.

I will raise my children with traditional gender roles, but if they turn out to be adverse to it, I'd let them be who they are. That will take time though, and as long as they are living in my house, the boys will be raised to be men and the girls to be women.
So it is not a question about "letting him be feminine" as much as "making him feminine". Of course there is a small chance he is more femininely disposed, but most likely not, and I will raise him true to his nature and to become the man he wants to be.

Reply 57
Original post by Hyde
Of course they can be challenged and they should be at times.
But doing it just for the sake of it is pretty pathetic and immature.

What do you mean by "just for the sake of it"? I'd agree if it's using children to make a point, if they're too young to realise what they're doing.

But i don't think people should do things because it's expected of them or their group.
Reply 58
If he wants to die 5minutes later then he can be yes
Reply 59
Original post by Hyde
Roughly where was your old school? I might be him :holmes:
Out of interest, what was this guy like?

wait...do you live in UK?
I mean you probably are, but you have been in school in UK your whole life time? Cos the guy I was talking about is in school in another country that I've been in...
but it's the way you write and the way your personality comes across here funnily enough resembles that guy...after reading your posts he comes onto my mind...
he liked black colours
looked depressed
had rich vocab of English words
and would generally receive -ve likes on what he was saying :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending