The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything (Prospective & Existing Architectural Technology Students)

There is already a thread for Architecture and due to the amount of threads relating to Arch Tech i thought i'd make a thread specially.

Ask me anything about the course. Whether its about the types of skills required. Potential career avenues. CAD, Sketchup or Photoshop.

I'm only in 2nd year but i will try my utmost to answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Gunnerzz
There is already a thread for Architecture and due to the amount of threads relating to Arch Tech i thought i'd make a thread specially.

Ask me anything about the course. Whether its about the types of skills required. Potential career avenues. CAD, Sketchup or Photoshop.

Hey I'll be a freshman this year at Cardiff so I'm really interested to hear everything about the course. I'd really love to gain some advice on the studying, the skills most needed during projects(etc), just whatever u think is worth sharing! Thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by ychilly
Hey I'll be a freshman this year at Cardiff so I'm really interested to hear everything about the course. I'd really love to gain some advice on the studying, the skills most needed during projects(etc), just whatever u think is worth sharing! Thanks!

Ok so as you probably know from research the course is less design based than pure Architecture. It focuses heavily on technical architecture, such as drawing, building science, surveying and structural engineering. In the second year you will likely move onto building law and more detailed building conventions.

The first year in my experience was mainly improving technical drawing skills and introducing us to CAD. You will likely learn architectural drawing conventions and ways to present you work in your design modules. In other technical modules you will probably cover basic building physics and regulations, as well as some basic surveying and engineering.

My main piece of advice is to record EVERYTHING in a sketchbook (or several). Take photos of models, incase they break or get lost. Every little scribble and sketch will count towards your end of year portfolio. This was one thing my course wasn't told until the end of the year!

Try to plan your work. By the end of the year found a pace that worked for me. I would start a piece of work and do it until i was bored, then continue another piece again until i was bored or ran out of ideas and go back to the first with a fresh mind.

Try to remember to take breaks and get outside in the middle of big projects. It sounds silly but being stuck inside all day everyday can easily lead to depression and make you work worse! Keep the social life up as interaction with people will be a big part in some projects and your future career!

A great book to get you started is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Architectural-Technology-Pete-Silver/dp/1856695662 It covers the basics of the course and is a good read.

Anther few books i couldn't live without are these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Architects-Pocket-Book-Ann-Ross/dp/0080969593/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375699947&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=arhcitects+pocket+book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metric-Handbook-ebook/dp/B009E3EGIG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375699976&sr=1-1&keywords=design+and+planning

The first is everything you will need to know from average door sizes to material properties and sun angles. The second is full of specific measurements and guidelines for different buildings. Its a big help! and also very heavy :tongue:

Hope this helps you out a bit.
Reply 3
Thanks for the useful info. Luckily I got those books and a few others for Christmas :tongue:

Is there anything specific to the Plymouth course worth knowing?
Reply 4
Original post by TC1
Thanks for the useful info. Luckily I got those books and a few others for Christmas :tongue:

Is there anything specific to the Plymouth course worth knowing?

All of the points above apply to you. Specifically, not really. Like i said, the most important thing is keep everything and photograph and name tag models. Try not to leave things in the studio as the do wander off and keep your work organised in project folders/portfolios. (You'll appreciate it at the end of the year.)

You will have to present work nearly every week to your tutor and class. Remember that when pinning up work, think about what it looks like as a whole, rather than just individual pieces. Keep a 'story line' running through and have the main pieces in the centre of the board.

I'll probably keep adding little bits like this when i remember them :P So keep checking back.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for this thread, and thank you for replying to my actual thread. I'll bookmark this as any information is greatly appreciated :biggrin:. I'm really interested in studying this course, as I said in my other thread.. I did computing for 2 years. But with you saying someone did hairdressing for 5 years before studying AT, that makes me feel a little better. You say you have to present work to your class/tutor every week - is this a big 'deal'? Are the classes quite big student wise? I was warned speaking into large groups would happen when I was at college, but wasn't something I'd thought of again until now. I'll take a look at the books you have recommended :smile:, but just to confirm, you personally wouldn't say experience was essential to doing the course?
Reply 6
Original post by AFE94
Thanks for this thread, and thank you for replying to my actual thread. I'll bookmark this as any information is greatly appreciated :biggrin:. I'm really interested in studying this course, as I said in my other thread.. I did computing for 2 years. But with you saying someone did hairdressing for 5 years before studying AT, that makes me feel a little better. You say you have to present work to your class/tutor every week - is this a big 'deal'? Are the classes quite big student wise? I was warned speaking into large groups would happen when I was at college, but wasn't something I'd thought of again until now. I'll take a look at the books you have recommended :smile:, but just to confirm, you personally wouldn't say experience was essential to doing the course?

Hey. No worries :smile:

My class is only 16 students. They don't tend to be big from what i hear because its not such a popular course and its new. Speaking is not a big deal, at the end of the day this is what your future career could involve.

I'd say as long as you have an interest or passion for the subject experience isn't necessary. Will be hard work though!

Good luck!
Reply 7
Well, I completed my 2 year college IT course. It was interesting and I passed with a good grade... but there was so many modules I didn't enjoy (such as networking, programming, computer mathematics etc.) so I don't feel continuing computing would be ideal.

Architectural technology would be completely brand new and is only something I recently come across whilst hunting through prospectuses. I enjoyed design technology at school (and I'm already assuming that architectural technology would be a distant subject from that) but from studying that at school, I know I enjoy a design based subject. And from studying computing at college, I know I would still like something that involves a reasonable use of computing. The course just sounds as though it would suit what I'm looking for and could lead to an interesting and varied career. It hasn't been something I've longed to do or anything like that as in all honesty ... I have no specific career that I've ever wanted to do. So because of this I'm obviously worried that I wouldn't be suitable for the course, however your comments about other students being new to it gives me some confidence that I could do it - so currently, I'm quite excited at the concept of studying this course, which I've not felt with any other course. So thanks! :smile:

I have two more questions...

1) What sort of laptop do you have to complete your work on? I've got a reasonably new HP laptop - but when I go next year, I'm toying with the idea of getting an all in one desktop PC ... like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/all-in-one-pcs/hp-pavilion-23-b222ea-23-all-in-one-pc-21469773-pdt.html#topdeals

I'm just not sure if the course would require me to have the portability of a laptop, or I would get away with pen & papering it in class and working from my personal desktop PC at home?

2) The books you suggested above, would you recommend that I get any of them before starting the course to begin reading up? and if so, any in specific?

Thanks again for all your information, it's very much appreciated.
Amy
Reply 8
Original post by AFE94
Well, I completed my 2 year college IT course. It was interesting and I passed with a good grade... but there was so many modules I didn't enjoy (such as networking, programming, computer mathematics etc.) so I don't feel continuing computing would be ideal.

Architectural technology would be completely brand new and is only something I recently come across whilst hunting through prospectuses. I enjoyed design technology at school (and I'm already assuming that architectural technology would be a distant subject from that) but from studying that at school, I know I enjoy a design based subject. And from studying computing at college, I know I would still like something that involves a reasonable use of computing. The course just sounds as though it would suit what I'm looking for and could lead to an interesting and varied career. It hasn't been something I've longed to do or anything like that as in all honesty ... I have no specific career that I've ever wanted to do. So because of this I'm obviously worried that I wouldn't be suitable for the course, however your comments about other students being new to it gives me some confidence that I could do it - so currently, I'm quite excited at the concept of studying this course, which I've not felt with any other course. So thanks! :smile:

I have two more questions...

1) What sort of laptop do you have to complete your work on? I've got a reasonably new HP laptop - but when I go next year, I'm toying with the idea of getting an all in one desktop PC ... like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/all-in-one-pcs/hp-pavilion-23-b222ea-23-all-in-one-pc-21469773-pdt.html#topdeals

I'm just not sure if the course would require me to have the portability of a laptop, or I would get away with pen & papering it in class and working from my personal desktop PC at home?

2) The books you suggested above, would you recommend that I get any of them before starting the course to begin reading up? and if so, any in specific?

Thanks again for all your information, it's very much appreciated.
Amy

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Been moving all my stuff back to uni over the last few days. BUSY!

1) I use a desktop but some of my friends use macbooks and other laptops but find it much more difficult when using things like Autocad and Sketchup. Unless you're happy doing most of your work on your Unis studio computers i'd go for a desktop. Stay away from the gimmicy tablet things. You can get much more powerful gaming spec computers for that price even on amazon. Quick search and you can get prebuilt towers like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PILEDRIVER-FX-6350-Gaming-Motherboard-pre-installed/dp/B00CPORKG6/ref=sr_1_28?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1378384200&sr=1-28&keywords=gaming+computer

You do need a screen and keyboard/mouse too. But power wise much, much better. They last a lot longer too.

2) The one i would recommend to read now is The Introduction to Architectural Technology That will give you an idea of the sorts of things involved.

I would definitely get all of the books at some point if your are serious about the course. They're full of great information and are very handy for projects.

Its a bit vague but i hope this helps.
Hi, ummm kinda awkward here but I've pretty much had my decision set for Architecture but have had thoughts about Architectural Technology for a while now, especially nearing submitting my application.. so in a nutshell, this was what I said in a previous thread:
So this is part of what I said previously:

''So I'm thinking of applying for Architecture [obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here] and I'm just a bit stuck on Uni choices. I've been to Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores, Leeds Met, Huddersfield, Manchester, UCLAN and the AA. And, basically I LOVED Leeds Met and Huddersfield, whereas the others - Liverpool - I live here and I really want to move away, Uclan - the campus is appalling! AA - lovely, but expensive and living costs in London are just crazy, and Manchester - although I loved it on paper, the campus and year sizes are mindblowing - I can't cope with 179 other architecture students as well as design crammed into several large rooms for a few years so that's off the list :/

Anyway, I was originally thinking of applying to Leeds Met and Huddersfield, and a couple of others which I'm still umming over, but because Uni of Leeds doesn't do architecture, I have had feedback from uni friends, employers and some architects say that it's definitely best to go to one that's sort of, well known? As in, I'm Chinese - so I'll probably end up working in an architect's firm in China/Hong Kong one day - and no one over there will have heard of Huddersfield, for example - I mean, I didn't know that it existed before looking at League tables and stuff.

Now, one thing to mention about league tables is that although I'm not looking at numbers - top 10, 20 etc. [and I probably shouldn't - which you'll know in a bit] - I would like to go to a good uni..

On the 15th I realised that I hadn't done as well as I expected, so put it this way - with the subjects I'm doing now for A2 - Fine Art, Product Design and Physics - alongside an A grade at AS, the highest possible predicted/target grades my school and tutors will put on my application form is AAC, which isn't desirable for most unis - and this also ties in with something I'm confused/worried about.
Sadly I missed out on an A at AS art, got a B in AS prod. design, and a D in physics - messed up Unit 2 and the EMPA so badly.
Anyway, so this kinda messes things up as thinking about it now, I think I was originally thinking of applying to Huddersfield [~AAB - they do it in points]; Leeds Met [BBB], Kent [AAB], Edinburgh [BBB] and probably Robert Gordon [BBB] or something...''

I spoke to my head of year/teacher who knows UCAS inside out, and she basically said that because it's competitive [and I basically messed up physics], I should probably broaden my search for a degree... so I'm just wondering now, with these hopefully predicted grades, would I still be able to do Architectural Technology? I'm aware that it's more sciency/engineering based, but maybe if I happen to come across some more artsy based course that's a tad bit more similar to architecture? - don't get me wrong, there are obviously some archy courses that are less art/design, more science, but I'd love everyone's thoughts.
Loads of stuff out there,

For Architecture, visited UWE - Bristol a couple or so years ago they seem quite grounded on their Architecture course, most designs were for building you see day to day, retail units, etc, a little art seemed present in the course but perhaps fairly modest in comparison to many Architecture course. Just my observation on the day so could be wrong, so look into it.

UEL - University of East London, seem much more on the arty side, have got low grades to get in, opinion varies, some slate it, but its probably ok now as good tutors can easily be found in a recession. South Bank may also be worth a look. Kingston possible also, not a bad reputation, a bit on the imagination side, better grades and drawing ability than UEL tend to ask for, again just my observation, casually speaking.

Quite a lot of Architectual Technology course around as well, get the impression more have started up in the last few years as students get disillusion with many Architecture courses for being too imaginery, artsy, lacking in architecture industry application and somewhat subjective in their marking, i.e a quirky or even banal idea or visual that took a few moments to do or think up doing better than someone who sat up all night producing a detailed drawing. So, lots of Architectural technology courses around with various entry grades, some quite low, better industry application, 3-4 year min compared to Architecture 7 year min, which is almost always more towards 10 years or so. Some AT courses are quite science/engineering based, others a little less so. Look at the module so you can avoid those with say more than one module under this heading. Think many AT courses have been trying to offload the engineering/science stuff a bit as its hard going and your either an engineer or your not, so better to focus on the technical drawing, design and construction knowledge side. Think many that have tried doing a joint Architecture with Engineering course found that you can't really learn both at the same time, there different things having a load of engineering modules then an Architecture module awkwardly stuck in there doesn't cut it. Different subjects and suit different types of people. Anyway, design module on AT will likely be quite down to earth real life application/buildings so no fantasy structures or odd collages. That's about it, what I make of the situation and others on this forum I think, what do you reckon?
Reply 11
Original post by Archengsculp
Hi, ummm kinda awkward here but I've pretty much had my decision set for Architecture but have had thoughts about Architectural Technology for a while now, especially nearing submitting my application.. so in a nutshell, this was what I said in a previous thread:
So this is part of what I said previously:

''So I'm thinking of applying for Architecture [obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here] and I'm just a bit stuck on Uni choices. I've been to Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores, Leeds Met, Huddersfield, Manchester, UCLAN and the AA. And, basically I LOVED Leeds Met and Huddersfield, whereas the others - Liverpool - I live here and I really want to move away, Uclan - the campus is appalling! AA - lovely, but expensive and living costs in London are just crazy, and Manchester - although I loved it on paper, the campus and year sizes are mindblowing - I can't cope with 179 other architecture students as well as design crammed into several large rooms for a few years so that's off the list :/

Anyway, I was originally thinking of applying to Leeds Met and Huddersfield, and a couple of others which I'm still umming over, but because Uni of Leeds doesn't do architecture, I have had feedback from uni friends, employers and some architects say that it's definitely best to go to one that's sort of, well known? As in, I'm Chinese - so I'll probably end up working in an architect's firm in China/Hong Kong one day - and no one over there will have heard of Huddersfield, for example - I mean, I didn't know that it existed before looking at League tables and stuff.

Now, one thing to mention about league tables is that although I'm not looking at numbers - top 10, 20 etc. [and I probably shouldn't - which you'll know in a bit] - I would like to go to a good uni..

On the 15th I realised that I hadn't done as well as I expected, so put it this way - with the subjects I'm doing now for A2 - Fine Art, Product Design and Physics - alongside an A grade at AS, the highest possible predicted/target grades my school and tutors will put on my application form is AAC, which isn't desirable for most unis - and this also ties in with something I'm confused/worried about.
Sadly I missed out on an A at AS art, got a B in AS prod. design, and a D in physics - messed up Unit 2 and the EMPA so badly.
Anyway, so this kinda messes things up as thinking about it now, I think I was originally thinking of applying to Huddersfield [~AAB - they do it in points]; Leeds Met [BBB], Kent [AAB], Edinburgh [BBB] and probably Robert Gordon [BBB] or something...''

I spoke to my head of year/teacher who knows UCAS inside out, and she basically said that because it's competitive [and I basically messed up physics], I should probably broaden my search for a degree... so I'm just wondering now, with these hopefully predicted grades, would I still be able to do Architectural Technology? I'm aware that it's more sciency/engineering based, but maybe if I happen to come across some more artsy based course that's a tad bit more similar to architecture? - don't get me wrong, there are obviously some archy courses that are less art/design, more science, but I'd love everyone's thoughts.

Stewie pretty much hit the nail on the head there. AT is the focus on practical and technical design rather than fancy looks. Although that is important too.

Look at what type of degree it is. If its a BA Hons then its likely to be more design based. If its a Bsc Hons then its probably going to be more tech based.

AT is a reasonably new course for most Unis and so entry grades are still quite low. I messed up my A levels too and hated 6th form. I still got into the course 30 points under what i needed.

I know some people that have completed the 1st year in either Architecture or AT and then swapped courses because it wasn't for them. This might be a possibility too?
Stewie pretty much hit the nail on the head there. AT is the focus on practical and technical design rather than fancy looks. Although that is important too.

Look at what type of degree it is. If its a BA Hons then its likely to be more design based. If its a Bsc Hons then its probably going to be more tech based.

AT is a reasonably new course for most Unis and so entry grades are still quite low. I messed up my A levels too and hated 6th form. I still got into the course 30 points under what i needed.

I know some people that have completed the 1st year in either Architecture or AT and then swapped courses because it wasn't for them. This might be a possibility too?

Hm.... yeah, I'm aware that AT is fairly new.. I know that Huddersfield also do this..

I've pretty much finished composing my Personal Statement now and I've mentioned Architecture a lot.. should it matter if I apply using the same PS to an AT course.. probably for insurance?

What if I applied to the same Uni for 2 different courses? -- AT and architecture?

thanks
Reply 13
Original post by Archengsculp
Hm.... yeah, I'm aware that AT is fairly new.. I know that Huddersfield also do this..

I've pretty much finished composing my Personal Statement now and I've mentioned Architecture a lot.. should it matter if I apply using the same PS to an AT course.. probably for insurance?

What if I applied to the same Uni for 2 different courses? -- AT and architecture?

thanks

Not sure what would happen if applied for both course at the same uni as Firm and Insurance. A guy on my course applied for Architecture and didn't quite get the grades, so they offered him AT.

The same personal statement should be fine.
Reply 14
Okay, I'll purchase that book next payday. I'm going to apply for AT aswell as computing with the intention to study AT, so getting the book will give me a confident idea as to whether it's 100% what I want to study next September.

Thanks for the information on the PC, desktop definitely sounds like the better option. I'll take on board your advice when purchasing one next year.
Reply 15
Bump.
Hey, I've got couple of offers for Architectural technology, I'll be starting September 2017. However I don't know which uni to go for, so I've got an offer from UWE Bristol (AT and design), Salford in Manchester (which I'm not really interested about because no one heard of it) and finally uni of Brighton. I've went to applicant day in UWE and like the Architecture department and the building has a really great building environment spirit, but I didn't like the fact that the uni is so far away from town and there isn't much to do on campus. On the other had I'm really hearing a good vibes about Brighton as a city and I love the sea site as well but I din't know about the uni tho, I'm going to an applicant day soon. My question Finally! If you know or hear any thing about Brighton uni or UWE which better ? from research the course at Brighton is more construction modules, and UWE more design (as the course is AT and design).and I could be completely wrong they might just be the same xD So which do you think is better or what will be the difference in terms of studying and projects ?

Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey!

Glad to see someone is applying for AT too for this year! I also applied to UWE and Brighton, as well as NTU, Coventry and Sheffield Hallam. So far I've got offers from Coventry, NTU and Sheffield Hallam. I'm hoping to get offers from all 5 as I took a gap year and already have my grades in hand.

My first choice at the moment is UWE but I keep changing my mind between that and Coventry and NTU... I just don't know which out of my options is the best for the course in terms of teaching, facilities, socialising and city life. Btw, you should also be aware that the campus where AT is taught in Brighton is also about 2 miles away from the city and from what I've heard the campus there is pretty dead with not much to do. Don't quote me on that though as I'm pretty much just as confused and stuck as you are 😅. But since you've been to see UWE, would you mind if you can tell me a bit more of what the department, lecturers and city were like? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what other unis did you apply to and which is your first choice?

Thanks

Great thread Gunnerzz!

What uni do you study at?

Laura
Original post by _tilly01
Hey!

Glad to see someone is applying for AT too for this year! I also applied to UWE and Brighton, as well as NTU, Coventry and Sheffield Hallam. So far I've got offers from Coventry, NTU and Sheffield Hallam. I'm hoping to get offers from all 5 as I took a gap year and already have my grades in hand.

My first choice at the moment is UWE but I keep changing my mind between that and Coventry and NTU... I just don't know which out of my options is the best for the course in terms of teaching, facilities, socialising and city life. Btw, you should also be aware that the campus where AT is taught in Brighton is also about 2 miles away from the city and from what I've heard the campus there is pretty dead with not much to do. Don't quote me on that though as I'm pretty much just as confused and stuck as you are 😅. But since you've been to see UWE, would you mind if you can tell me a bit more of what the department, lecturers and city were like? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what other unis did you apply to and which is your first choice?

Thanks

well Coventry is a really good uni I applied to Coventry but it wasn't successful unfortunately. But when I went to the open day I really liked the place there and the Hub building as well as the library, I found it quite modern and they have a lot of activities and places for students to study and chill out.
UWE Bristol is quit good uni as well, it's new so accommodation are nice and the architecture and building environment is so nice and big especially the studio is huge and connects all the architecture and building courses so it's a good environment for doing design projects. and that's what I really liked about uwe because Coventry the AT studio is so tiny and isolated. however that's my point of view other people can find it cozy and specialized. UwE is also so far away from town and you need a 20-30 min bus to get to town, for me that's a down point because I get board really easily so I want to go out at night.
I'v applied to Coventry, Brighton, UWE, Salford in Manchester and Sheffield Hallem. and I only got offers from Brighton, UWE and Salford.
I'm not 100% sure what's my first choice but probably Brighton.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending