The Student Room Group

Maths at uni without further maths A level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I didn't do further maths and managed to get a 1st in my first year at university. My friends had done further and got similar results to me I just had to work a little harder when starting new topics...
Reply 61
Original post by sneha.vag
I applied to the following:
1. City University, London
2. University of Southampton
3. Heriot-Watt University
4. University of Kent (I firmed Kent :smile: )
5. Kingston University.

Oh cool, why did you pick Kent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Tuya
Tbh, he's got a point, and a good one. But now that it's no longer in your control, do AS fm along with a select few other modules to put on your PS.

Yeah I was planning to do AS fm. And the person I replied to just wasnt answering the question I asked and that was why I was a little annoyed. It's not for her to judge my mistake or what I did. That's the point I was making *shrugs* what's done is done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Tuya
Of course you could also give STEP or AEA a go, and put it on your application too

I've been considering those but I don't know how hard it would be to learn either of the contents in a year. I've been planning to take AS fm though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by roverall
I didn't do further maths and managed to get a 1st in my first year at university. My friends had done further and got similar results to me I just had to work a little harder when starting new topics...

Oh wow, well done, what uni do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Oh cool, why did you pick Kent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all, Kent's SMSAS staff has fully qualified actuaries so the teaching quality of the course will be great. Also, when I want to a university fair, the international directors from 2 of the unis I had applied to told me they are afraid of Kent stealing their students because it has a strong actuarial course. That was proof they are quite good. I have spoken to the international support, accommodation staff and academic staff on many occasions, they are very responsive and reply speedily- this to me shows they are genuinely interested in their students and that is a university I would be proud to go to. Also, they provide all CT1-CT8 exemptions and have a fully accredited Actuarial Science course. Plus, Canterbury is so beautiful :smile:
Reply 66
I've been considering those but I don't know how hard it would be to learn either of the contents in a year. I've been planning to take AS fm though

Posted from TSR Mobile

More modules, the merrier, but I doubt you need past C3 knowledge.
Oh so the one without fm was one grade higher than the one with fm?
And why did you pick york?

Offers were: AAAa or A*AB

I didn't like either of these as I didn't think I'd achieve them. York was AAA, and I'm absolutely in love with the campus and the people so I firmed York :tongue:
Reply 68
Original post by DolallyDucky
Offers were: AAAa or A*AB

I didn't like either of these as I didn't think I'd achieve them. York was AAA, and I'm absolutely in love with the campus and the people so I firmed York :tongue:

Oh I see, at the moment, Nottingham is my favourite with York and Sheffield second, that may change when I go and see them if I get offers. But I thought York's maths offer was AAB :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Tuya
More modules, the merrier, but I doubt you need past C3 knowledge.

Really, has anyone you know learnt either in a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by sneha.vag
First of all, Kent's SMSAS staff has fully qualified actuaries so the teaching quality of the course will be great. Also, when I want to a university fair, the international directors from 2 of the unis I had applied to told me they are afraid of Kent stealing their students because it has a strong actuarial course. That was proof they are quite good. I have spoken to the international support, accommodation staff and academic staff on many occasions, they are very responsive and reply speedily- this to me shows they are genuinely interested in their students and that is a university I would be proud to go to. Also, they provide all CT1-CT8 exemptions and have a fully accredited Actuarial Science course. Plus, Canterbury is so beautiful :smile:

Oh wow, good choice then :biggrin: I know two people who are in love with Kent when they went on the open day. It sounds nice. Good luck for Thursday then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Hi, I'm probably going to apply for maths, at Oxford, Nottingham, Loughborough and undecided about the others. I'm studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology and will do further maths AS next year (as well as drop physics).
Reply 72
Original post by Gotzz
Hi, I'm probably going to apply for maths, at Oxford, Nottingham, Loughborough and undecided about the others. I'm studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology and will do further maths AS next year (as well as drop physics).

About Oxford, I've been thinking about it a lot but are you doing STEP because its gonna be really hard to get in without fm full a level or STEP/AEA. How do you reason? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
About Oxford, I've been thinking about it a lot but are you doing STEP because its gonna be really hard to get in without fm full a level or STEP/AEA. How do you reason? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm not doing STEP. They don't put you at a disadvantage for not studying further maths, if it isn't offered at your school.
Reply 74
Original post by Gotzz
No, I'm not doing STEP. They don't put you at a disadvantage for not studying further maths, if it isn't offered at your school.

It's offered at my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see, at the moment, Nottingham is my favourite with York and Sheffield second, that may change when I go and see them if I get offers. But I thought York's maths offer was AAB :confused:

I was applying for joint honours with computer science :tongue: sorry for the confusion!
Nottingham is a very lovely campus, if their offer was better I may have been tempted. York and Sheffield are the two I firmed though, so I am very biased about them :wink:
Reply 76
Original post by DolallyDucky
I was applying for joint honours with computer science :tongue: sorry for the confusion!
Nottingham is a very lovely campus, if their offer was better I may have been tempted. York and Sheffield are the two I firmed though, so I am very biased about them :wink:

Oh I see! :biggrin: what's better about york/sheffield than notts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's offered at my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then it would put you at a significant disadvantage. If you can, you should drop one or two subjects and do the whole A2 FM in a year, not only would it look good, but also allow you to apply practically anywhere.
Reply 78
Really, has anyone you know learnt either in a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? C3?
Reply 79
Original post by Tuya
What? C3?

No, either step or AEA, that was what you were referring to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest