The Student Room Group

Drawings at the Bartlett

I went to the AA and Bartlett end of year shows a few weeks back. The drawings that were produced by the students in the Bartlett, particularly unit 10, were absolutely astonishing. They had A1 (or it could have been A0 if my memory doesn't remember it correctly) sheets in portrait with the most beautiful hand drawn perspectives (line drawings only). I'd really like to know how these drawings were constructed, similarly drawings in the AA which were also line drawings only that had the most beautiful colours chosen for the kites (these drawings were on display in the cafe).

If anyone has any information as to how these drawings are constructed and what programmes the students use? I'm guessing illustrator but I could be wrong. I would really appreciate the help. Apologies for the vagueness but it I don't have any rights to show the images here so you would have to be familiar with the schools and the end of year shows in order to help me.
Reply 1
I'm assuming like other uni's who prefer hand drawings in first year, that they are taught how to do them. I had classes from Architects on how to do 1 point and 2 point perspectives. Started of with basic exercises and then went onto advanced ones. Im not going to lie and say they're easy to learn, in fact they're rather difficult! I was one of few in my uni who attempted perspectives for final reviews. (Bare in mind I only completed 1st year in June!)

Your best bet is to google around for some drawing exercises maybe? The simple ones exercise sheets I had on memory stick, but I cleaned that memory stick out in July so cant upload them for you :/. I also used some things like "Architectural Graphics" by Ching to help me when I was doing them!

Another point I will make is that people do just print out sketchup or 3D cad drawings and trace over them!

I bookmarked this a while ago.. http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/art/Perspective-Composition-Pt-1-118068853
It doesn't describe the technical side of perspectives (like vanishing points etc etc) but it explains some interesting points.
Reply 2
Original post by PaperArchitect
I'm guessing illustrator but I could be wrong. I would really appreciate the help.

Almost certainly a collage of stuff from programmes like Sketchup that they've inked over and scanned in, photos, inked hand drawings, etc - could be composed in Illustrator but I'd wager in Photoshop as there's no real reason to be working in vectors for these type of images. Probably something like 200 layers of varying opacities going on which they will have laboured over for ages and plotted dozens of times until they got the result they were looking for.

That would be my guess.
I'm not sure about the specific drawings you mentioned but to hand draw a building in perspective (other than just a sketch) I would usually either do it from plan and elevation (http://perspectiveresources.blogspot.co.uk/p/how-to.html) or trace over a computer 3d model. and then as jrhartley says: scan and print and collage and photoshop.
Original post by PaperArchitect
I went to the AA and Bartlett end of year shows a few weeks back. The drawings that were produced by the students in the Bartlett, particularly unit 10, were absolutely astonishing. They had A1 (or it could have been A0 if my memory doesn't remember it correctly) sheets in portrait with the most beautiful hand drawn perspectives (line drawings only). I'd really like to know how these drawings were constructed, similarly drawings in the AA which were also line drawings only that had the most beautiful colours chosen for the kites (these drawings were on display in the cafe).

If anyone has any information as to how these drawings are constructed and what programmes the students use? I'm guessing illustrator but I could be wrong. I would really appreciate the help. Apologies for the vagueness but it I don't have any rights to show the images here so you would have to be familiar with the schools and the end of year shows in order to help me.

I think I know which drawings you mean, unlikely they were hand drawn from scratch. For almost all these works they're roughed out in a 3D program and the output view is taken and exported into Illustrator, after which you play with lineweights and import other elements, then maybe move it into Photoshop and do textures and colour transparencies. The diploma stuff has a lot of unnecessary CG so I wouldn't underestimate the complexity of the original 3D model and the rendering techniques they used to to create the flat image output. They often trace the image by hand to achieve a certain aesthetic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending