The Student Room Group

Would you reccommend this laptop for the architecture course? (Not a Mac dw)

Hi everyone,

I'm buying my laptop for the architecture course. I've found the " HP G6 Core i5 8GB 1TB 15.6 Inch Windows 8 Laptop " and was wondering if you think its okay for the course? I have the specification below. I was also wondering if anyone has had experiences with this laptop and are they good? Let me know please!

I think it has a dedicated memory card for the graphics from what I've read on sites, approx. 2GB.

Spec
CPU, Memory and Operating System:
•Intel Core i5 dual core i5-3230M processor.
•2.6GHz processor speed.
•8GB RAM.
•1000GB hard drive.
•Microsoft Windows 8.

Display features:
•15.6 inch screen.

Graphics:
•Intel HD Graphics 4000 .

Interfaces and connectivity:
•Multi-card media card reader.
•Secure Digital (SD), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.
•1 Ethernet port.
•1 HDMI port.
•Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:
•HD webcam.
•Built-in mic.
•Built-in audio sound system.

General features:
•Up to 6 hours battery life.
•Size H3.63, W37.6, D24.4cm.
•Weight 2.4kg.
•EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 887758086216.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From my experience a laptop isn't ideal. A 15.6 screen just isn't big enough so you will either need another larger screen to connect up and have 2 (which is great, I find it hard to work from one now) or better still build your own desktop. Unless you really need the portability of a laptop I wouldn't bother with one, or get a super cheap one that you can show work on at tutorials etc but use the desktop at home. And the graphics card probably isn't dedicated which will also slow up 3d modelling software. Laptops just don't cope well running these sorts of programs imo
Original post by squiddly
From my experience a laptop isn't ideal. A 15.6 screen just isn't big enough so you will either need another larger screen to connect up and have 2 (which is great, I find it hard to work from one now) or better still build your own desktop. Unless you really need the portability of a laptop I wouldn't bother with one, or get a super cheap one that you can show work on at tutorials etc but use the desktop at home. And the graphics card probably isn't dedicated which will also slow up 3d modelling software. Laptops just don't cope well running these sorts of programs imo

This doesn't sound promising, but yes I need the portability..
Reply 3
Original post by smartieslover
This doesn't sound promising, but yes I need the portability..

In an ideal world you would use a desktop but for the crazyness that is architecture school a laptop is better suited. You will constantly be on the move etc etc. Laptop is the way to go!.
Original post by HBQ94
In an ideal world you would use a desktop but for the crazyness that is architecture school a laptop is better suited. You will constantly be on the move etc etc. Laptop is the way to go!.

Its just finding the best laptop.
Would you recommend a Sony?
Reply 5
Personally i'd go for something with dedicated graphics and a faster processor. Processing speed is everything! Especially for AutoCAD and programs like 3ds max and sketchup. Try to find something above 3.5Ghz. 8GB of RAM is enough.

Although I've got a desktop. And use tablets and such in lectures and studio. I do have an old laptop which is useful for presentations and showing designs in tutorials but the tablet is good for that too.

What's your budget?
Reply 6
Its just finding the best laptop.
Would you recommend a Sony?

Cant recommend aSony as Ive never used one!

I currently have a HP pavillion.. i5, 8GB RAM + I added 2 more, decentish graphics card...

It does a decent job but its almost two years old and starting to decline, so im looking into getting a new one in the coming months!...

Your best bet is to search around!
Some essential features for running CAD and any other graphics orientated software would be:

Screen Size- At least 15" - You will need ample work space on your screen- don't want to restrict yourself!

Graphics Card: Very Very important! Essential that you have a very good graphics card to run CAD, Photoshop etc etc

RAM: I would say at least 8GB.

Processer: High end i5 or i7 (Or equivalent AMD etc etc)

I would just say to you that some people find that AutoCAD wont work with windows 8. It seems to be hit and miss for some people. Im still running windows 7 so I havent had that problem.. yet!.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Not so true with the graphics card. Although important, a lot of programs don't render using or really benefit from amazing cards. Most important things are definitely CPU and RAM.
Reply 8
Original post by Gunnerzz
Not so true with the graphics card. Although important, a lot of programs don't render using or really benefit from amazing cards. Most important things are definitely CPU and RAM.

Hmm.. I was under the impression for 3D modelling a good graphics card was a must! I'll take your word.. misconception on my part!
Reply 9
Original post by HBQ94
Hmm.. I was under the impression for 3D modelling a good graphics card was a must! I'll take your word.. misconception on my part!

There are programs that do use graphic cards well, i think AutoDesk products can use OpenGL but a good CPU will beat a good GFX card for compiling renders and modeling.
Personally i'd go for something with dedicated graphics and a faster processor. Processing speed is everything! Especially for AutoCAD and programs like 3ds max and sketchup. Try to find something above 3.5Ghz. 8GB of RAM is enough.

Although I've got a desktop. And use tablets and such in lectures and studio. I do have an old laptop which is useful for presentations and showing designs in tutorials but the tablet is good for that too.

What's your budget?

Alright! I shall take a look..
I have a budget of £500/£600 at the moment, I could try to push it to £700. But £500/£600 is best for me atm, as everything is so EXPENSIVE ! :/
Original post by HBQ94
Cant recommend aSony as Ive never used one!

I currently have a HP pavillion.. i5, 8GB RAM + I added 2 more, decentish graphics card...

It does a decent job but its almost two years old and starting to decline, so im looking into getting a new one in the coming months!...

Your best bet is to search around!
Some essential features for running CAD and any other graphics orientated software would be:

Screen Size- At least 15" - You will need ample work space on your screen- don't want to restrict yourself!

Graphics Card: Very Very important! Essential that you have a very good graphics card to run CAD, Photoshop etc etc

RAM: I would say at least 8GB.

Processer: High end i5 or i7 (Or equivalent AMD etc etc)

I would just say to you that some people find that AutoCAD wont work with windows 8. It seems to be hit and miss for some people. Im still running windows 7 so I havent had that problem.. yet!.

Thank-you! Are HP graphic cards decent?
I was looking at HP before, who knew searching for a laptop could be so hard!

When I look at the processors, very few are i7 and the ones that are, are really expensive. How do I know if they're higher end i5?

Haha, I'm hearing windows 8 isn't great at all... Another blip for me :frown:
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! :biggrin:
but a good CPU will beat a good GFX card for compiling renders and modeling.

Utter rubbish, GPU computation is leagues faster than any CPU, which if you had done any major render's you would be well versed in.
Reply 14
Original post by iainvg
Utter rubbish, GPU computation is leagues faster than any CPU, which if you had done any major render's you would be well versed in.

Chill out. I am no expert, but you clearly are... Excuse my ignorance but i am sure depends on the program. Some programs only use GFX some only use CPU some use both. A CPU will be more helpful in most stages of design. Graphics card will be more useful when rendering for outputs and doing animation.

With £600 you can get a mid/high end desktop gaming system with an 8 core processor, mid range graphics card, 8GB of RAM and about 1TB of HD space. More than enough for general rendering programs.

I'm only trying to help, not have an argument. Instead of starting an 'i know more than you do' war, please try to be constructive and help the OP.
(edited 10 years ago)
8 core processor, mid range graphics card, 8GB of RAM and about 1TB of HD space. More than enough for general rendering programs.

Intel CPU's work better for most rendering programs, cores aren't everything, especially when taking into account how badly optimized the AMD FX 8 cores are. a hyperthreading capable Intel CPU will perform considerably better than the AMD counterpart, always.
Reply 16
Original post by iainvg
Intel CPU's work better for most rendering programs, cores aren't everything, especially when taking into account how badly optimized the AMD FX 8 cores are. a hyperthreading capable Intel CPU will perform considerably better than the AMD counterpart, always.

Very true. I have an AMD FX 8320 and i've had to overclock it to make it worthwhile.
Very true. I have an AMD FX 8320 and i've had to overclock it to make it worthwhile.

Whereas I've overclocked mine because I can, not because I need it, 24 threads 'n' all.
Reply 18
Hi everyone,

I'm buying my laptop for the architecture course. I've found the " HP G6 Core i5 8GB 1TB 15.6 Inch Windows 8 Laptop " and was wondering if you think its okay for the course? I have the specification below. I was also wondering if anyone has had experiences with this laptop and are they good? Let me know please!

I think it has a dedicated memory card for the graphics from what I've read on sites, approx. 2GB.

Spec
CPU, Memory and Operating System:
•Intel Core i5 dual core i5-3230M processor.
•2.6GHz processor speed.
•8GB RAM.
•1000GB hard drive.
•Microsoft Windows 8.

Display features:
•15.6 inch screen.

Graphics:
•Intel HD Graphics 4000 .

Interfaces and connectivity:
•Multi-card media card reader.
•Secure Digital (SD), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.
•1 Ethernet port.
•1 HDMI port.
•Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:
•HD webcam.
•Built-in mic.
•Built-in audio sound system.

General features:
•Up to 6 hours battery life.
•Size H3.63, W37.6, D24.4cm.
•Weight 2.4kg.
•EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 887758086216.

I would definitely go for any ASUS or Mac product.If you ask why I can give my reasons as a computer lover but not a tech :h:

The Asus F8 series computer lasted for 5 years with full of gaming 5 hours a day and still It managed to be fine for those long years,still serves me as a game computer and I love it.

I would define Macbook as smooth,perfect and artsy.It is everything that you can expect from a computer,It would definitely be a long term computer and Its not that heavy so It will be pretty easy for you to carry.And there are student discounts If you prove that you are a university student.I know that you don't want to buy a Mac but again I would give it a shot.

My friend was using HP for 2 years and he had many many many many many problems so I would really not recommend HP ,I would advise you to choose a computer from Asus series or Toshiba.
Original post by Charlaux
I would definitely go for any ASUS or Mac product.If you ask why I can give my reasons as a computer lover but not a tech :h:

The Asus F8 series computer lasted for 5 years with full of gaming 5 hours a day and still It managed to be fine for those long years,still serves me as a game computer and I love it.

I would define Macbook as smooth,perfect and artsy.It is everything that you can expect from a computer,It would definitely be a long term computer and Its not that heavy so It will be pretty easy for you to carry.And there are student discounts If you prove that you are a university student.I know that you don't want to buy a Mac but again I would give it a shot.

My friend was using HP for 2 years and he had many many many many many problems so I would really not recommend HP ,I would advise you to choose a computer from Asus series or Toshiba.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!
I shall defo research into Asus + Toshiba!
I'm so used to the windows system, I'm just not too sure about macs. I just want to be comfortable from the get go tbh! Which is why I wasn't planningon getting one.. Plus they're a bomb to buy!
Found this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5089693.htm I know it's kindof cheap, but as a basis what would you say about it?

Original post by iainvg

Yourtechnical speak is way to technical for me to understand lol.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending