The Student Room Group

Ladies: How long do a pair of tights last you?

I know this will depend on the denier and type, but in general. I am sick of my tights lasting me hardly anytime at all, it's very annoying and expensive.

Sheer, skin coloured tights that I wear in summer to make my legs a bit more acceptable I get from Evans. I find these to last me the longest of that type. I have had Boots and Primark ones but they rip on the first wear for me.

Black tights I tend to get from Tesco or Boots. I find them similar price and quality. However after maybe a weeks worth of wear they start to rip at the crotch.

I normally try to get a size too big in the hope they will last a bit longer.

Scroll to see replies

They usually don't even last me getting them on! Despite being 'ladder resistant'.

ladder resistant my BUM!
Reply 2
I usually buy Primark black tights in packs of 3 and they last me quite a while, I only have to buy a new pack every few months. I can't remember what denier I get but it's quite thick, probably between 40-80. I'm really careful putting them on and taking them off though, because I live an hour's walk away from the nearest poorly stocked Primark :frown:

Skin coloured tights usually last me no time at all, sadly, ripping within the first few wears. Fortunately I don't usually have the occasion to wear them.

You can always try the nail varnish trick on holes in tights to stop them getting bigger.
Reply 3
Original post by ailashes
I usually buy Primark black tights in packs of 3 and they last me quite a while, I only have to buy a new pack every few months. I can't remember what denier I get but it's quite thick, probably between 40-80. I'm really careful putting them on and taking them off though, because I live an hour's walk away from the nearest poorly stocked Primark :frown:

Skin coloured tights usually last me no time at all, sadly, ripping within the first few wears. Fortunately I don't usually have the occasion to wear them.

You can always try the nail varnish trick on holes in tights to stop them getting bigger.

Primark tights are the most comfiest tights! and they're pretty cheap too which is always a bonus :biggrin:
I have exactly the same problem as you :smile:
I buy my tights from M&S, they're good quality and they usually last me a good while, it depends on the denier though. I have some sheer toeless ones which have laddered after one or two uses, you just have to be careful with them. My black semi-opaque ones last for ages :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah, ladder resistant means nothing at all! I remember when I was at college, doing AS economics my teacher told us that it is possible to make completely ladder resistant tights, but no company wants to do it because it will mean no-one will need to keep buying them and so they won't make any money. I don't know if there is any truth to that or if she just made it up - she was a bit like that haha.
Not long at all, I feel your pain :sigh: I'm sick of them 'catching' on stuff too and tiny little dents in the fabric becoming MASSIVE HOLES. I kept catching them on trays at work the other day and ended up with very holey tights. Either that or just ladders/holes for no reason.
Reply 8
Original post by when she was 22
Not long at all, I feel your pain :sigh: I'm sick of them 'catching' on stuff too and tiny little dents in the fabric becoming MASSIVE HOLES. I kept catching them on trays at work the other day and ended up with very holey tights. Either that or just ladders/holes for no reason.

Oh, that feeling when you have literally just put on a new pair and then you catch them :angry: unbelievably annoying! I don't wear them to work anymore. I was always ripping them.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has these problems. I thought it was just me picking the wrong type or something! Oh well I will continue to see tights as a monthly cost :tongue:
Since we are sharing our woes about how fast tights ladder, I thought I might as well ask the question: What brand has the best tights?
'few wears'? I couldn't keep tights tidy for 5 minutes if my life depended on it!
Reply 11
I can never keep them for more than a month. When I used to wear uniform, I'd have to buy 3 packs of tights to last me the year. I'm such a clumsy person that they rip everytime I wear them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Oh, that feeling when you have literally just put on a new pair and then you catch them :angry: unbelievably annoying! I don't wear them to work anymore. I was always ripping them.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has these problems. I thought it was just me picking the wrong type or something! Oh well I will continue to see tights as a monthly cost :tongue:

The other day it was literally within 5 minutes of being at work for a 10 hour shift! :tongue: I wanted to cry haha, doesn't help that all day I had customers going "you've got a hole in your tights love!" all day... oh, REALLY?! :tongue:

I'm gonna keep searching for the best, most long-lasting pair!
They don't, I have a dog .... Who loves jumping up an shredding them to pieces
Reply 14
thin ones (15/20 denier) last one or two uses, a couple more if i'm lucky. thicker ones can last a couple of months. i weep when i think about the amount of money i've spent on tights :sigh:
I've not yet tried a pair of tights which have lasted me LONGER THAN ONE DAY! Primark, Tesco, M&S, La Sensa... They all just get holes and rip! :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't help but ripping them with my nails occidentally whilst putting them on.
A day, tops.
The usual ones I wear are 60 denier, black ones.

These last about one wear, I either catch them on my nails, my rings or something.

Thicker tights (for the winter) last longer.
Reply 19
Think tights always seem the ladder after a day a wearing them for me, think tights around 80 denier last up to around two months for me x

Oh and I have also never seen anyone wearing tights on their own as trousers, lots of people do this with leggings but not tights; they would be far to see through and you would be able to see the seam x

Quick Reply

Latest